PDA

View Full Version : Lee 00 Buck Mold

EMC45
10-28-2017, 08:42 AM
Shot some 9 pellet loads yesterday from my 870 Express 12ga. For the sake of shooting and seeing. I put 3 rounds through the gun with a screw in FULL RemChoke. At 30+ yards it put 24 pellets in about a 1 foot circle on paper. I was shocked how well it did. History and "experts" would recommend using a more open choke, but I think this would work well in a deer blind or stand in shotgun only areas.

Not sure where the other 3 pellets went. Could have been fliers or could have doubled on the paper. Either way this load concentrates enough pellets to be effective.

Load was 30gr. HS6 in a cheapy WalMart Universal Winchester hull 9 pellets of WW metal loaded in CB1114 Claybuster wad lit with a Federal primer.

BNE
10-28-2017, 08:56 AM
Good info. Thanks.

Huntsman
10-29-2017, 02:05 AM
I hope it works out for you. I’m currently trying loads for my Lee 000 Buck mould.
I’ve been trying 800x and Longshot. I do have some HS6...now you got me thinking ��:)

EMC45
10-29-2017, 08:59 AM
Haven't been hunting in a few years, but if I end up on private land hunting and "shotgun only" is the idea of the day, I would be comfortable with this loading.

doghunter
11-02-2017, 10:04 AM
The "experts" as you call them, don't seem to have much real world experience with buckshot. Most folks who use it regularly to kill deer with will tell you that a full choke is usually best. I have, on occasion, found a slightly more open choke (like improved Mod) to sometimes throw a more even pattern, but usually not tighter