PDA

View Full Version : Can I use a set of 45 Colt dies to load .454 Casull

Down South
08-12-2008, 11:03 PM
OK, I was thinking that I could use my 45 colt dies to load a soon to be 454 Casull. I'm reading yes and no on different forums. I have a set of carbide 45 Colt Lyman dies 7680110. I measured my 45 colt expander plug and it is .451". I know that I'll have to back the dies out a bit and I can't full length resize but not full length resizing may be a plus. Anybody have any thoughts on this? Do I need to to fork out the bucks for a set of 454 Casull dies? Lyman does have different numbers for the 45 Colt and 454 Casull dies.

I read that a couple guys checked their 454 Casull Lee die sets and the only die that didn't have 45 colt stamped on it was the seater die. :coffee:

454PB
08-13-2008, 12:29 AM
Yes, you can use .45 Colt dies. However, your expander is WAY too big if it measures .451". It should be .448" to .449" to allow proper case tension on the boolit.

Meatco1
08-13-2008, 01:40 AM
Absolutely!

I used a set of RCBS dies for my F/A 454.

Never a problem,

Richard

Down South
08-13-2008, 08:30 AM
However, your expander is WAY too big if it measures .451". It should be .448" to .449"
You are correct. I took another measurement this morning with another set of mics. The expander is .4497".
I checked the plug last night with a V-Mic and it probably needs to be Zeroed.

I used a set of RCBS dies for my F/A 454.

How do you like your Freedom Arms. I never have shot one.

Meatco1
08-13-2008, 03:06 PM
Down South:

I sold the F/A a couple of years ago, as I bought it for a float trip down the Dawson river. Frankly, I never enjoyed shooting full power loads with the .454, because it kicked like a mule, and every time it spoke, my ears would ring for minutes afterwards.

I had the rubber grips on it, and was told it would have been much easier to shoot had I installed a set of smooth hardwood grips.

For what I bought it for it was the perfect gun, but for here in the lower 48, a lot more gun than I need, and not much fun to shoot.

Richard

Down South
08-13-2008, 09:32 PM
I sold the F/A a couple of years ago, as I bought it for a float trip down the Dawson river. Frankly, I never enjoyed shooting full power loads with the .454, because it kicked like a mule, and every time it spoke, my ears would ring for minutes afterwards.

I had the rubber grips on it, and was told it would have been much easier to shoot had I installed a set of smooth hardwood grips.

For what I bought it for it was the perfect gun, but for here in the lower 48, a lot more gun than I need, and not much fun to shoot.

I'm not buying a 454 to plink with. I'm thinking about deer hunting with it, hog hunting too. I've got plenty plinkers. I ordered the revolver today. It will take a couple weeks to come in.

It seems that everything that I order is hard to get. I've never shot a 454 before but from what I understand they are not a pleasure to shoot with full house rounds. That's OK. I'm not a stranger to heavy recoil.

It will take me a while to put all of this together. Gun first, Brass, Moulds & Scope.

454PB
08-13-2008, 10:30 PM
If it was mine, I'd turn that expander down a little.

I have a FA 83 field grade with a 4 3/4" barrel. Yes, it comes back pretty hard, but is not uncontrollable. Stay with the lighter boolits until you get used to it, when you get over 300 grains the recoil gets pretty heavy. NEVER fire a .454 without hearing protection unless there is meat in your sights. I also wear a shooting glove for practice with all my .454's. I regularly shoot 100 rounds at a time.

Down South
08-13-2008, 10:49 PM
[
NEVER fire a .454 without hearing protection unless there is meat in your sights. I also wear a shooting glove for practice with all my .454's. I regularly shoot 100
I always wear hearing protection during plinking/practice plus I have a good right handed glove for shooting.

What would you recommend turing the expander down to? Maybe one more mill? It wouldn't take me but a few minutes to turn it down.

454PB
08-13-2008, 11:18 PM
.449", then do a recoil test. Load the gun, fire all but the last round, then check that last loaded round to see if the boolit moved forward. If it did, turn it down another .001" to .448".

You don't say what gun you're getting, but assuming it's a FA, you're probably going to be sizing to .452". My Redding .454 expander mics .448", and I size .452"

Down South
08-14-2008, 09:25 AM
You don't say what gun you're getting, but assuming it's a FA,
I'm going with a Ruger Super Redhawk. I was interested in a FA. I've got a GP-100 now and decided to add another Ruger to the collection.
I've never used the 45 Colt die set that I've got. I bought it used here. I do have a 45 Colt but so far I have not loaded for it. (Taurus Judge) It never did shoot .45's worth a toot. I've always planned to cast for it someday but just never got around to it. I've shot two different brands of factory ammo through it and it key holes at 25 yards. I figured I could work up a load it likes if I took the time. Actually I bought the Taurus for a tractor gun. I use it to shoot rats with using 410 shot shells when I'm bush hogging my pastures. It's a barrel of fun.
Buying another 45 caliber will give me an excuse to actually start casting for it.

Thanks for the info. The recoil test is a good idea.