PDA

View Full Version : What to buy for a plinker wheelgun in 38 Special, just for fun!

Mr_Sheesh
10-27-2017, 09:40 PM
Years ago a friend had an S&W M&P 10. He was mean tho, and wouldn't sell it to me for cheap:P (I use ":P" for tongue in cheek - I tease a LOT. Of freaking course he wouldn't sell it cheap, he enjoyed it too much LOL) On the plus side, he did let me plink it a LOT at the range; Put many a handload down range with that.

Since I don't have that nice wheelgun, and got some 38 Special brass recently and unexpectedly - I am thinking of getting something to use said brass up in a couple months, New is OK if it's a good gun & worth the $; Used is OK if it's not been abused to death too. (I probably will sell off the AMT backup, too, as it's too tiny for my Yeti hands!), anyways - what would you folks suggest for a 38 special only plinker? Used older wheelgun's fine, mainly I want sorta cheapish but decent quality, I'll just shoot gentle handloads in it for plinking. Keiths maybe, possibly wadcutters - for sure CB's and I'll maybe try out powder coating, have to work on the gear for that as my budget sucks.

M&P 10 would be a good one, I need to look at what they go for now, though; I'm not imagining they'd have much original finish left, OR be cheap LOL

Mr_Sheesh
10-27-2017, 09:41 PM
(Still learning - Forgot to subscribe to the thread as I posted - Hope to figure out how to subscribe w/o a second post some day)

Kosh75287
10-27-2017, 09:48 PM
Try finding a gently used Taurus copy of a S&W M15 or M19.

(Still learning - Forgot to subscribe to the thread as I posted - Hope to figure out how to subscribe w/o a second post some day) Been there, done THAT!

MAGA
10-27-2017, 10:27 PM
I picked up a Taurus model 80 last weekend at a gun show for $200
It is a 5 screw model made in the early 70's best I can tell a copy of a 5 screw model 10
I took It to the range a couple times this week and put at least 150 rounds through it with a smile on my face the whole time lol

osteodoc08
10-27-2017, 10:35 PM
You can pick up Model 15 for pretty cheap. I picked up a model 15 with chrome that's a bit scratched and worn for $250-275 IIRC. Functions great and has digested many thousands of plinker 38 loads for me.

Edit: wow. Just cruised GB and they have definitely gone up. I bought this one local several years ago.

samari46
10-27-2017, 10:36 PM
Do an online search for used police surplus S&W model 10's. Cost would be in the area of $200-300. Also some of the sellers have the model 64 which is the stainless steel version of the model 10 blued model. I bought a police surplus model 10 about 25 years ago and still have it. Model 15's with the adjustable sights may cost a bit more. Happy hunting. Frank

Beagle333
10-27-2017, 11:15 PM
https://www.kygunco.com/Product/View?ItemNo=833
Taurus M85
That's pretty cheap.

tranders
10-28-2017, 01:09 AM
I found a nickel plated S&W 15-2 at a local gun shop last year. Finish had some wear,but mechanically was very good. I gave $400 which is probably too much,but have enjoyed shooting it.

Whiterabbit
10-28-2017, 01:39 AM
I'd try my hand at converting a single 6 from 327 to 38 special. Vaquerito. If not comfy doing the complex work, I'd farm the barrel to pacnor and ask a gunsmith to open up the 32 cal cylinder to 38.

Mr_Sheesh
10-28-2017, 02:44 AM
Some nice promising possibilities so far :) Great! Looking forwards to more ideas but those could do well :)

Low Budget Shooter
10-28-2017, 05:03 AM
I think old blued Taurus 66 revolvers are a possibility. I really enjoy the one I picked up earlier this year.

dubber123
10-28-2017, 06:29 AM
I'd personally shop for a used model 10 or the stainless version the 64. Prices are up from what they used to be, but you will get a good gun that will hold its value better. One benefit to the 64's is even police trade in ones with a good bit of finish wear can be made to look new with a rag and some Flitz metal polish due to their stainless construction. I have probably 20 S&W 38's, but I bought many of them when they were $200 or less, and that doesn't happen much anymore. Happy hunting.

Whiterabbit
10-28-2017, 06:49 AM
Its big, but a new vaquero in 357 is VERY budget friendly and would make a fine cowboy gun shooting 38 sp. Also, cimmaron for a smaller company makes small framed cowboy guns that shoot 38. Called model P or Jr P or lightning or similar.

rintinglen
10-28-2017, 07:31 AM
I vote for a used Smith or Ruger, either a K Frame Smith or a Security Six Ruger. I have Several Smith and Wesson's, my favorite is an old, pencil barrel,Model 10, but I also have a Service Six snubbie that I like a lot as well. A Taurus or Rossi could also do good work, but they should be carefully inspected before purchase. To be frank though, there are plenty of decent old police service trade in revolvers floating about. Just about all of them are mechanically sound and good shooters, even if they are rough on the out side.

mcdaniel.mac
10-28-2017, 07:44 AM
I'd vote Model 10 as well. I'll see how my new LCRx holds up, but so far the trigger on my 64 was much better.

funnyjim014
10-28-2017, 08:10 AM
I bought one of the s&w 64's that hit the surplus market in about 2010ish. Bobbed hammer, houge grips and a decent trigger. For the money I can't find any thing close. I probably put 5-8k cast thew it since then with the only problem was when I got it I was getting light hits. I figured the lighter hammer needed some more umph. I put a copper shim between the main spring and tension screw to see if it helped, still in there and no more problems . Such a good gun I wished I bought more

roysha
10-28-2017, 10:57 AM
The only down side to the S&W M-10 is the fixed sights. Elevation can be rather easily remedied if there is an issue but windage adjustment can be a problem. Sometimes, if it is not too far off, just a different load will make a difference.

I have a Cimarron 38-40 that with the classic 180gr. RF bullet shoots 2" left at 15 yds. Went to a lighter TC style bullet that my Grandson shoots in his 40 S&W and now it shoots spot on at 15 yds.

Before someone tells me, I know, just learn to hold off, or change your grip, or any number of other nuisance things that take away the fun, but all that is a pain in the patoot as far as I'm concerned. I'll gladly pay the extra for adjustable sights even though once I get it sighted in for the load I'm going to use, they probably will never be changed.

kywoodwrkr
10-28-2017, 11:21 AM
This may sound like its off the wall but there are currently Spanish Police revolvers being imported.
Astra 960 when searching they are "Spanish Police".
Currently going for 0 bids 6hrs $195, 0 bids 1day4hrs $239--
I bought an Astra 38 target 38 in the mid seventies and a friend who was into target shooting tried it out and wouldn't cease and desist until I sold it to him.
If I remember correctly Astra also manufactured for Colt-Small 25. Astra 2000/Colt Cub??
YMMV
Wish you lived closer, I'd sell you an import from the 80's.
It's a Colt Police Positive used by Columbia National Police. They were about $65 and looked overpriced, but internally solid.
Gotta say the 80s were okay!
Sorry for possible complete diversion.

Outpost75
10-28-2017, 11:36 AM
You can't go wrong with a former police turn-in S&W K-frame of any model or a Ruger Security Six, Service Six or Speed Six. SP101 and GP100 are OK, but "after my time..." I am another 1980s guy.

Colts can be VERY good, and I have a half dozen, but you need to be more knowledgeable in buying one because it is harder to find gunsmiths who are competent to work on them. Sandy Garrett of Northern Virginia Gun Works does my Colt work on my carry guns. Jerry Kieffer in Richmond, VA can also do Colts. Grant Cunningham used to, but I understand he has retired from gunsmithing and is teaching full time now.

With the vast number of good used S&Ws out there, good availability of repair parts and many former police factory-trained armorers who can do routine maintenance and repairs, COMPARE THAT against the well known spotty quality issues with Rossi and Taurus...I don't see why anybody would own one, unless you didn't plan to shoot it much and it was all that you could afford.

I don't know any US police departments that ever used a Taurus or Rossi, or even allowed off-duty carry of them and I don't know any competent gunsmiths who will work on one... because at any normally hourly shop rate, you will soon spend more on the gun than it is worth trying to make it right, they way it SHOULD have been when it left the factory. Not to say there aren't a few good ones out there, but their quality isn't consistent and they don't last if you shoot them alot.

Outpost75
10-28-2017, 11:48 AM
The only down side to the S&W M-10 is the fixed sights. Elevation can be rather easily remedied if there is an issue but windage adjustment can be a problem....I'll gladly pay the extra for adjustable sights even though once I get it sighted in for the load I'm going to use, they probably will never be changed.

I understand the case for adjustable sights for the sport shooter who likes to fool with different loads and adjust the sights for different yardages. But for rough-duty field and duty use fixed sights are far superior.

A competent gunsmith can zero fixed sights to shoot "on" with a particular load. Correcting an off-shooter for windage in a used gun frequently requires straightening a bent frame where a gun may have been used by a cop as an impact weapon. But more often it is a matter of rotating the barrel a bit in the frame, usually by striking the ejector shroud with a babbit bar. This is how they are targeted at the factory.

The S&W adjustable sights are delicate, and the gun will not survive a drop onto a hard surface, landing on the sights without loss of zero. This may not be a problem for those of you for whom a revolver is a semi-jewelry item, but for those of us who see them as a "tool", fixed sights are first choice.

35remington
10-28-2017, 12:06 PM
There are really no "police turn in" 38s of good quality anymore. The police last turned them in 25 years ago. Haunt pawn shops and gun shows and hope you find a seller that does not know what he is giving away. Unfortunately most do.

Adam20
10-28-2017, 12:52 PM
Southern Ohio gun has police trade in s/w .38 from $230 on up to about $350 listed right now.
Buds had police trade in from Australia for almost 2-3 years, they have not had any listed in the last year. I bought a couple from buds, finish was worn but shoot great.

Outpost75
10-28-2017, 01:06 PM
There are really no "police turn in" 38s of good quality anymore. The police last turned them in 25 years ago. Haunt pawn shops and gun shows and hope you find a seller that does not know what he is giving away. Unfortunately most do.

They are still pretty common at estate sales and the various gun auction sites. While their cost has about doubled from what they were 25 years ago, a sound revolver which requires no gunsmithing is still a bargain compared to buying a new wheelgun, which these days, may not get the tender loving care they once did when they were the primary duty gun in America.

This holds true IF you are knowledgeable of revolver mechanics and able to make your own safety and functional inspection to avoid buying into a gunsmithing project. If seriously shopping for a potential carry gun, it's worth having a friend who was back in the day a factory-trained police armorer to take to the gun show with you. Buy his show ticket and lunch and have him pick the gun for you. I'm asked to do this all the time, and that's how I manage to get to gun shows these days...

Chill Wills
10-28-2017, 03:39 PM
About a year ago I decided to give chance and luck a go of it and bid on a gun broker S&W M-10 dash 8, 4" heavy barrel. The description stated this was one of a lot disposed of from one of the towns from outside the New York City area. So I assume it was a duty gun. It started at $235 plus shipping which was cheep enough. I was the only bidder. I have a friend who is an FFL and we trade favors.

It arrived and was just as filthily as the pictures showed. In about an hour, I had all the grime removed I could get to with out removing the side plate. I don't know what crud might be inside but the action was smooth and, on the outside, the blue was mostly still there. This revolver had almost no rust anywhere. However, the wood grips, especially the right hand grip was worn to the point of no checkering and dry and splintery. One assumes the officer carried it on the right hip for many years to damage it that much.

While the grips were off to clean the metal I took a toothbrush and a dab of Murphy's oil soap and went after the grips and then just oiled them with linseed oil for now.

I shot it and it works flawlessly. My 13 year old son loves to knock cans around with it when we camp and fish. Though it is only fixed sights and light loads, he gets mega fun shooting it.

I have a 358344 four cavity wad cutter mold that makes piles of bullets from soft range scrap quickly. A load of 700-X and we have a great shooting Smith for not much money.
We lucked out; it turned out to be a great used knock around 38.206804206805206807

texasnative46
10-28-2017, 04:06 PM
Mr Sheesh,

Inasmuch as I've owned MANY K-frame S&W revolvers over the last 50 years, my suggestion is a "Plain Jane" Model 10, 12, 64 or 65 in 2/2.5/4 inch barrel & that is a quality LE "trade in". = Given that virtually all of the S&W trade-ins are in GOOD physical shape after (in some cases, decades) of police service, they will likely outlast YOU.

Fwiw, I'm currently "shopping for" a small-frame/5-shot S&W revolver in .38SPL for my very petite gentlelady & who has equally petite hands, for her first handgun. = Most likely a Model 36/40 or perhaps a Colt's D-frame.

just my opinions, tex

Mr_Sheesh
10-28-2017, 04:27 PM
Good ideas. I've owned/shot Ruger & S&W wheelguns, both decent brands the for DA S&W seems better by a bit. (For heavy hunting loads, SBH wins by a bit, tho.) I'll probably look at 4" at least in a barrel, big hands so a snubbie looks odd in my hand...

Drm50
10-28-2017, 05:53 PM
Put your money in a S&W, Colt or Ruger. S&W and Colt service style revolvers are not hard to find.
Price wise they run about the same as the second rate stuff like Rossi, Taurus and Chater Arms.
I agree sights on DAs are not as rugged as fixed sights but they arent made of glass. I have adj
sight S&Ws I have carried in the field for 50yrs without breaking the sights. For cops and military
fixed sights are a plus. The model 10 S&W is a fine choice for a 38 plinker. They are made for
158gr standard police loads but at plinking ranges will do well with anything close. I get service
Pistols on trades all the time $200 will buy a good mechanical gun with finish issues. You have to
decide if you want a good shooter or a good looking gun.

35remington
10-28-2017, 06:33 PM
As a guy who has looked for reasonably priced, reasonably used 38 revolvers of good quality for friends and acquaintances who are getting into shooting, all I can say that will make an impression is price and availability are not comparable to 25 years ago even adjusted for inflation.

The time when the market was flooded with low cost good condition 38s is long past.

That is not any reason to stop looking at estate sales, gun shows and pawn shops as a good 38 is a treasure. A good reasonably priced 38 is not the easy find it used to be.

kens
10-28-2017, 07:13 PM
How is the Rock Island .38's doing?
Those are reputed to be exact clones of the Colt.

Low Budget Shooter
10-28-2017, 07:43 PM
I tried a Rock Island M206 and was very disappointed in the quality.

Mytmousemalibu
10-28-2017, 08:53 PM
I bought a Model 64 DAO law enforcement trade-in off Classic Firearms a few months back for $300 in pretty decent condition! Other than needing a good clean and the highly deteriorated old Pachmayr combat grips, amd some honest but gentle wear, its ship shape!

Mr_Sheesh
10-28-2017, 09:39 PM
I'd sorta figured Colts were off the high end budget wise for me, good point tho :) (Tho based on some TV shows' baloney, you don't aim them the same as regular pistols -rolls eyes-)

blackpowder man
10-28-2017, 09:41 PM
Another vote for a polive trade in. Seems like most fived sight .38s I’ve owned shot 158 grain boolits to poa best. Currently my only .38 is an Uberti 1871 open top navy with the 4.75” barrel. It shoots amazing when I can see the bead front sight, accurate and lots of fun. Was maybe $450 new. Good luck.

Snow ninja
10-28-2017, 09:58 PM
Check out a Dan Wesson model 14 (non-adjustable sights) or model 15 (adjustable sights) they are workhorses and can still be found in good quality for decent funds (under $500) I just picked one up a couple months ago for $300. Had some holster wear on it, but I was just picking it up as a plinker/brush cutting gun anyway.

Kestrel4k
10-28-2017, 10:13 PM
Plus 'another' for the police trade-in S&W 64's (stainless version). They were $250 ~4yrs ago when I got mine; I expect they are up to $350 now. The SA/DA versions are harder to find than the DAO-only ones, but mine are some of the sweetest & one of the best gun bargains I've come across. Will also hold their value extremely well, certainly better than most other options.

texasnative46
10-28-2017, 10:38 PM
35remington.

While you are generally correct about "police trade ins" from US police agencies, a LE distributor in Austin frequently gets numerous police trade-ins from OCONUS and some LGS also have trade-ins from private security companies & various corrections agencies.
(Sadly, I "missed out on" a group of "pencil-barrel" Model 64 S&W 4" revolvers from a State corrections department armory. - I was told that some of the Model 64s were unissued; the rest of the revolvers had been carried much but seldom fired.)

yours, tex

Tracy
10-28-2017, 10:49 PM
If I were in the market for a solid .38 Special revolver for either plinking or daily carry, I would get an all-steel Taurus Model 85. They make poly frame, ultralite, stainless steel and blue steel versions. I have the blue steel version already, which is the only reason I'm not in the market for one now. Taurus currently has a $40 rebate on these, and they can be found for a bit over $200. As an example, Bud's has them for $208 and free shipping. That makes it $168 after the rebate. And, they have a lifetime warranty.

I've had mine for several years and have fired quite a few .38/44 type loads through it with no noticeable wear. I couldn't recommend it more highly, especially at the price they are going for.

Multigunner
10-28-2017, 11:06 PM
Many years ago my older brother owned what was probably the most accurate snub nose .38 Special I ever fired. It was a dirt cheap German made revolver that held five shots though the frame was as large as a K frame. It looked to be a better made semi copy of the old High Standard Sentinel only with a frame milled from good quality steel rather than cast. No thumb latch just pull the ejector rod to swing out the cylinder. The action was slick and precise, excellent for rapid fire.
The barrel was 2 1/2" IIRC but it shot like a target pistol.

frogleg
10-28-2017, 11:53 PM
I bought a Rock island m200 the 4 inch barrel and have shot it alot and it is point of aim at 7 yards still tight and is made of steel. Has look of a Colt and has same cylinder latch. Comfortable grips for me . Great plinker ��

Three-Fifty-Seven
10-29-2017, 08:20 AM
ts ...

smkummer
10-29-2017, 09:35 AM
Centerfire systems in KY has police trade-ins for about $300 plus shipping. S&W blued model 10s and stainless. If I were in the market, that is where my money would go. I am a colt collector and the K frame is right between the size of a police positive and larger official police. Out of Colt, vintage ruger service six or S&W, S&W is the only one that you may get factory service. I love my Colts but I have a gunsmithing manual to correct minor issues myself such as timing. And if you found that vintage ruger working, most likely it will stay working. I would so much rather own a used American made gun than a used foreign handgun made to under price its US counterpart.

Petrol & Powder
10-29-2017, 10:15 AM
Mr. Sheesh, you've received a lot of input on this and some of it is very good.

I have a lot of experience with the 38 Special, decades worth actually. It is by far my favorite cartridge.
The 4" DA revolver chambered in 38 Special is one of the most useful firearms you'll ever find. It does a LOT of things really well.

I'm going to second the advice given by Outpost75 because: A. He has a tremendous amount of experience and B. His advice was spot on!

I've spent my time with Taurus and I'm no longer willing to play in that sand box. Sometimes you get a good Taurus and sometimes you don't.

I'll chime in with the advice to find an old S&W model; 10, 15, 64, 67, etc. OR a Ruger Service/Security Six.

I actually prefer fixed sights for most revolvers and there's nothing wrong with a Model 10 or Model 64. Adjustable sights don't make your groups smaller, they just allow you to move that group around on the target :wink:. I've seen more than one poor shooter play around with adjustable sights when they should have been concentrating on themselves. You can't fix poor shooting with a little screwdriver. You can center a group on a target with adjustable sights and you can correct some point of impact [P.O.I.] issues when dealing with bullets of different weights. However, in the hands of a good marksman and S&W Model 10 will put 158gr bullets in the same little group that a S&W model 15 will.

I agree with the advice on Colts and will go a bit farther. Old Colts are not guns for amateur gun buyers. Any Colt in halfway decent shape will require a second mortgage to acquire and a lot of them are no longer in "halfway decent shape".

I've had some type of S&W K-frame chambered in 38 Special for as long as I can remember (usually a Model 10 or Model 64). Many of those were old police guns. The K-frame holds up well in 38 Special and they are wonderful guns.

Forget the new gun market. There are plenty of good 4" DA revolvers chambered in 38 Special on the used market. I picked up a used Model 10 few years ago that was a little worn on the outside but pristine on the inside. It is one of the best used Model 10's I've ever had. They're out there, you just have to find them.

Learn how to inspect a used revolver. Learn the differences in models. Learn what the current prices are (and not what the seller tells you it is).

Occasionally I will turn to Gunbroker to acquire something that just isn't available locally but in that process you're trading a bigger selection for the ability to examine the gun personally. When buying long distance you must also factor in shipping and transfer fees; bid accordingly.

Here are the absolute rules for buying a gun:
1. Know EXACTLY what you want BEFORE you start looking. (you can have more than one gun on this list but they all must be well defined).
2. Know what you're willing to pay for that EXACT gun. You can adjust that price depending on quality but know what your upper limit is.
3. Have the cash in your pocket when you start actively searching.
4. NEVER compromise and buy something that's available because it's close to what you really wanted.

Good Luck

Outpost75
10-29-2017, 10:29 AM
What he^^^^^said!

Texas by God
10-29-2017, 10:43 AM
I am always looking for 4" S&W .38 Special revolvers at a good price. By that I mean $300 or less.
My evil plan is to make sure every member of my family has one. BTW the the snub nose small frame .38s are NOT plinking guns. A plinking gun must be easy to shoot well.

Maven
10-29-2017, 10:44 AM
About 20 years ago I purchased a police trade-in S&W Mod. 10 HB after reading an article about police trade ins by C.E. Harris in "Fouling Shot." Other than holster wear, the gun was perfect + it came with aftermarket grips which fit my hand perfectly: Still own it; never regretted purchasing it. Ed Harris' advice, as usual, was spot on!

The Governor
10-29-2017, 11:48 AM
I'd get a 6 shot Smith and Wesson snub nose with a round butt. I like mine the most and it's a 19, P & R, so it shoots magnums if I want.

On the other hand, it wasn't cheap. I had to fork over a fair amount of samoleans to get it.

Yes, there are diamonds in the rough and lots will post about their's.

I'd work over time and save of some dough and get exactly want I want and don't look back.

Outpost75
10-29-2017, 12:11 PM
Relevant to this thread is the article on the Hensley & Gibbs website:

"You will become a better shooter and a better carpenter when you focus on the task at hand and stop worrying about your tools. That’s why I want an ugly hammer gun..."

http://www.hensleygibbs.com/TCD/articles/uglyhammergun.htm

9.3X62AL
10-29-2017, 12:34 PM
1. Know EXACTLY what you want BEFORE you start looking. (you can have more than one gun on this list but they all must be well defined).
2. Know what you're willing to pay for that EXACT gun. You can adjust that price depending on quality but know what your upper limit is.
3. Have the cash in your pocket when you start actively searching.
4. NEVER compromise and buy something that's available because it's close to what you really wanted.

Good Luck

Some of the best advice to ever appear on these pages during my 21 years on this site.

Mr_Sheesh
10-29-2017, 01:29 PM
Yep not for Self Defense, just for fun; Good info :) I'm looking forwards to the first rounds :)

texasnative46
10-29-2017, 02:13 PM
Mr. Sheesh,

Pardon me for quoting an old USAMPS Master Instructor, who was known as "The Polish Falcon", who often opined, "Handguns are like parachutes. - If you ever need one & don't have one, chances are you won't ever need one again."

One never knows what untoward events that the future may bring, so my suggestion is to always go armed for the BAD DAY that none of us desire.

yours, tex
USAMPC, Retired

9.3X62AL
10-29-2017, 03:32 PM
It is VERY difficult to argue against a K-frame S&W 38 Special revolver. This platform was the cartridge's first home c. 1902, and 115 years later its overall utility and practicality has not been bested. Imitated? Sure--Colt "I" and "D" frame 38 Specials are fine examples, but Outpost cited their down-sides succinctly--and they are far more scarce than the S&W examples--and cost more. Rugers are stalwart choices for the venue, sometimes a little unrefined though.

If you want a new revolver, S&W lists variants in their catalog in the $750-$800 MSRP range. Real-world pricing is somewhat less than that. There are many used examples still available, but they aren't as commonly-found as they once were--and they won't likely decrease in price. I do have a VERY NICE early-1960s Model 10 x 5" that I use to qualify with annually (I am "papered" for both rollers and bottom-feeders). I have no preference either way between fixed or adjustable sights, and agree that fixed sights are far more durable; we issued S&W Model 64s for many years at my old shop, and I cannot think of one of the many examples I fired or inspected that didn't place 158 grain loads right where the sights looked at 25 and 50 yards. Our 110 grain +P carry loads printed about 2" low at 25 yards, IIRC.

I was raised in such a way that "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all". This covers my perspective on Taurus revolvers properly.

Just my dos centavos.

ddixie884
10-29-2017, 04:35 PM
I decided, several years ago, That I didn't want to be without a combat masterpiece. I went on GB and found several security guns for sale. I bought a M15-2 a M-15-3 and a M-67. I can not do better for every day plinking here in the country. My Booger Load is 11gr 2400 under 160gr swc and any cheap rnl factory load for turtles and snakes.

greywuuf
10-29-2017, 11:35 PM
I know it don't meet the requirements ....but I bought a Rossi 92 in .357 and plink the daylights out of cheap 38 specials with it. My kids and myself enjoy the neck out of it.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

arlon
10-30-2017, 12:30 AM
My favorite .38 is a .357... (-:}

9.3X62AL
10-30-2017, 12:01 PM
My favorite .38 is a .357... (-:}

I hear ya--two 38 Specials and four 357 Magnums on staff here at present. They all get range days.

Mr_Sheesh
10-30-2017, 01:13 PM
texasnative46 - Oh yeah. 1911 family for me, for SD, tho; or if I have a lil warning I'll add 12 gauge to the mix. Or a vehicle is a GOOD effective weapon :p Better yet, relocate to a different county! But: This wheelgun is just for fun :)

(Years ago I helped as an assistant instructor in a self defense shooting school for a few years; Dang some people going into that had BAD problems. One gal had talked way too many guys out of raping her on her way to her car after work ~2am, unarmed nurse - & after learning she ended up being a natural wheelgun shot, one hole groups - and still had the same thing happening - only now she could also draw on an aggressor "if needed", and last I heard it had been, a few times. Guys promptly remembered they'd left the iron on at home, she's guessing. So AFAIK she's not had to shoot any. She knows it could happen tho. Another's ex-con boyfriend ended up taking up the hobby of armed robbery, she turned him in but then to protect herself changed her name, relocated, and had learned to shoot well. Neither of them thought of this experience as "fun"...)

If I'm plinking and someone insists on making it a self defense situation, well, I'm thinking of trying 148 Gr. DEWCs over W-231; 3.1 Gr. maybe. Should make smallish groups :) But as I'm a big strong guy, no one seems to want to pick a fight with me - Which is exactly how I want it! Lots of things I'd rather do - same as all of you guys :)

I think of the self defense weapon as equivalent to a fire extinguisher; Just because I have a fire extinguisher and learned how to use it, does NOT mean that I want to try setting my place on fire. Or want anyone else to light it up.

texasnative46
10-30-2017, 01:32 PM
Mr. Sheesh,

UNDERSTOOD.

Even though I never go looking for trouble, trouble may come looking for me & mine. - For that reason, I'm armed 24/7, if it's a lawful place to CC.
(I figure 7 or 14 rounds of Plus-P 9x19mm is enough to at least "depart the scene, smartly".)

yours, tex

MT Gianni
10-30-2017, 01:52 PM
I am always looking for 4" S&W .38 Special revolvers at a good price. By that I mean $300 or less.
My evil plan is to make sure every member of my family has one. BTW the the snub nose small frame .38s are NOT plinking guns. A plinking gun must be easy to shoot well.

Put a good full size grip on them and they can shoot rather well. It takes away the every day carry aspect but a 2" J frame and a grip that really fits your hand con do well.

Outpost75
10-30-2017, 02:06 PM
Put a good full size grip on them and they can shoot rather well. It takes away the every day carry aspect but a 2" J frame and a grip that really fits your hand con do well.

Adding a Tyler T-Grip or Pachmayr grip adapter to the typical J-frame makes a BIG difference in comfort and controllability with full charge loads, but not NOT impair concealability!

Tyler still makes the T-grip for the older pre-1942 Colts if those are your pleasure.

M-Tecs
10-30-2017, 02:37 PM
plus one on the http://www.t-grips.com/

Texas by God
10-30-2017, 02:41 PM
I agree the snubs can be shot well, but more the forte of the experienced shooter. I have collected a brace of squirrels with a Chief's Special and a 40 yd Cottontail with a bobbed Colt Police Positive.
But the plinking crowd will usually find them unpleasant to fire.

texasnative46
10-30-2017, 04:30 PM
Texas by God,

AGREED 100%.

yours, tex

jumbeaux
10-31-2017, 12:21 PM
Southern Ohio Guns has 4" Model 64 Smith & Wessons with bobbed hammers on sale right now for $239...these are probably recent imports or some of the remaining Brinks Security trade ins...

rick

Texas by God
10-31-2017, 12:28 PM
That's a great deal. I would change the lockwork to SA/DA.
But that's just me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Petrol & Powder
11-01-2017, 06:54 AM
aren't the SOG model 64s dao from the factory in that horrid style that actually left the factory as DAO and cant be converted to sa/da?

I can't speak to this but most S&W DAO conversions involve a hammer with the SA notch removed. If you really want to restore the DA/SA action, that can generally be accomplished by replacing the hammer. In some cases you may have to replace the trigger and the hammer.

WARNING - I'm about to go down a rabbit hole, follow at your own risk :grin:

I own a bunch of DAO revolvers and DAO has its place. I understand that some people hate DAO and see it as some lessor form of the traditional SA/DA action. I'm not trying to change the views of others but $240 for a S&W model 64 that was in decent shape would be worth the money to me; even in DAO. YMMV

Thank you and you may now exit the rabbit hole and return to your regularly scheduled thread :grin:

Lloyd Smale
11-01-2017, 08:52 AM
used 15 hands down.

Soundguy
11-01-2017, 10:43 AM
Years ago a friend had an S&W M&P 10. He was mean tho, and wouldn't sell it to me for cheap:P (I use ":P" for tongue in cheek - I tease a LOT. Of freaking course he wouldn't sell it cheap, he enjoyed it too much LOL) On the plus side, he did let me plink it a LOT at the range; Put many a handload down range with that.

Since I don't have that nice wheelgun, and got some 38 Special brass recently and unexpectedly - I am thinking of getting something to use said brass up in a couple months, New is OK if it's a good gun & worth the $; Used is OK if it's not been abused to death too. (I probably will sell off the AMT backup, too, as it's too tiny for my Yeti hands!), anyways - what would you folks suggest for a 38 special only plinker? Used older wheelgun's fine, mainly I want sorta cheapish but decent quality, I'll just shoot gentle handloads in it for plinking. Keiths maybe, possibly wadcutters - for sure CB's and I'll maybe try out powder coating, have to work on the gear for that as my budget sucks.

M&P 10 would be a good one, I need to look at what they go for now, though; I'm not imagining they'd have much original finish left, OR be cheap LOL

for a cheap 38, I'd get a 357.. rossi 972 or a taurus model 65. Both are DA/SA and sub 400$ I have both, both shoot well. the taurus has the safety bar transfer, the rossi use the old 'nail' style firing pin.

9.3X62AL
11-01-2017, 04:16 PM
I can't speak to this but most S&W DAO conversions involve a hammer with the SA notch removed. If you really want to restore the DA/SA action, that can generally be accomplished by replacing the hammer. In some cases you may have to replace the trigger and the hammer.

WARNING - I'm about to go down a rabbit hole, follow at your own risk :grin:

I own a bunch of DAO revolvers and DAO has its place. I understand that some people hate DAO and see it as some lessor form of the traditional SA/DA action. I'm not trying to change the views of others but $240 for a S&W model 64 that was in decent shape would be worth the money to me; even in DAO. YMMV

Thank you and you may now exit the rabbit hole and return to your regularly scheduled thread :grin:

I almost never run my D/A revolvers in single action mode--less than 5% of the time. A DAO action would pose no issues for me.

dubber123
11-01-2017, 07:10 PM
Its not nearly as hard to shoot a DAO revolver accurately as some make it out to be. Learning the break right at the end of the stroke allows pretty much the same level of accuracy as shooting S/A. I have on some guns gotten as good or better groups D/A as I could in single action. I believe in some instances you can introduce grip variances on a gun with a light S/A pull simply because you don't have to hold the gun very hard to make it go off. Shooting D/A forces you to grip a little tighter to function the heavier and longer trigger, and this sometimes seems to be more consistent. If I wasn't stocked up on 38's, one of those DAO 64's would suit me just fine.

35remington
11-01-2017, 07:58 PM
To me a plinker and field piece is my tapered barrel C series Military and Police 4."

Since sometime I need to hit with it for sure in a deliberate manner I use the hammer as a cocking device. My 638 not so much but on rare occasion it is handy.

Low Budget Shooter
11-02-2017, 06:45 AM
dubber, it's interesting you should post that just now. Recently I have been testing myself DA versus SA and I'm getting consistently better groups DA. Maybe it's because of the reasons you posted.

Piedmont
11-02-2017, 12:31 PM
Its not nearly as hard to shoot a DAO revolver accurately as some make it out to be. Learning the break right at the end of the stroke allows pretty much the same level of accuracy as shooting S/A. I have on some guns gotten as good or better groups D/A as I could in single action. I believe in some instances you can introduce grip variances on a gun with a light S/A pull simply because you don't have to hold the gun very hard to make it go off. Shooting D/A forces you to grip a little tighter to function the heavier and longer trigger, and this sometimes seems to be more consistent. If I wasn't stocked up on 38's, one of those DAO 64's would suit me just fine.

This is so true. I mastered DA shooting by buying a k22 back in the mid 1980s and actually shooting it a lot. Ten or more years ago I was shooting regularly at a range with the closest targets being at 25 yd. target frames. Much slow fire group shooting was done with my various handguns. With the J frames I was actually more accurate in DA. This firing was multiple groups, measured, on multiple days. No guessing or 'impressions'. At some point of weight and size, likely weight, the single action option can be an asset. This all proved to me that a cockable hammer on a J frame S&W was pointless.

jonp
11-02-2017, 02:46 PM

Taurus is selling a 38sp for under $175. For a plinker I'm not sure you could beat that

Soundguy
11-02-2017, 02:56 PM
Nice price, is it a snubby?

9.3X62AL
11-02-2017, 07:00 PM
I think Dubber "nailed it" as far as the D/A accuracy question is concerned.

ShooterAZ
11-02-2017, 07:23 PM
J&G Sales in Prescott,AZ always seem to have PLENTY of S&W Model 10's in stock, although the price has risen in the last few years. I bought several from them (with visits to the store for "hand select"). They are import marked and show wear, but generally in G-VG condition and all the ones I got are good shooters.

RJM52
11-02-2017, 07:50 PM
Ultimate .38 Plinker to me would be a S&W Model 14... They are not overly expensive and about as accurate a .38 as one can get.

Bob

saleen322
11-02-2017, 08:23 PM
Ultimate .38 Plinker to me would be a S&W Model 14... They are not overly expensive and about as accurate a .38 as one can get.

Bob

I agree with Bob, I got a used model 14 for about $250. An old Conventional Pistol shooter had it and because it was drilled and tapped for a scope mount in addition to the iron sights, collectors were not interested in it. It shoots very well.

...and speaking of shooting well, I never seen a top revolver shooter shooting double action from the long line. Even at the short line, everyone shot single action in timed and the top shooters shot single action even in rapid fire. I tried shooting the rapid section double action in practice but my scores were always better single action. While I am sure there were some competitive shooters in conventional who shot double action, I did not see one when I was competing. A bigger target and/or a shorter distance may change the results. YMMV

Mr_Sheesh
11-02-2017, 09:43 PM
Jerry Mikulek might be the exception to that, saleen322 - OTOH the guy just plain may not be HUMAN, LOL - He seems to be good evidence for the "If you shoot 35k rounds a day for practice you'll get pretty good at shooting!" rule of thumb :)

TDB9901
11-02-2017, 09:59 PM
Robertsons Trading post has a selection of S&W Model 10's just recently brought back in from the Montreal P.D. Start at $269 for a 10-10 HB and go up from there.

I just received mine. Some carry wear, but tight, and nearly perfect internally.

They sell through Guns America, and their own web sight. They are also a dealer in the T-Grip, of which I am very fond.

ShooterAZ
11-02-2017, 10:01 PM
If you want to try shooting a USPSA or IDPA match shooting a DA revolver single action only, you will most likely come in last place. Bullseye or perhaps Silhouette shooting might be that exception.

Petrol & Powder
11-03-2017, 08:03 AM
I just went to the Robertson Trading Post webpage and looked at the model 10-10 they are offering for $269. That's not a bad deal.
There was a time when the market was flooded with police trade-ins and the model 10 could be found in the $100 range. Those days are over but those Canadian Model 10's look pretty good at that price. Your getting a pre-lock, K-frame that was only exposed to 38 Special rounds. The gun was likely only fired a couple of times per year during qualifications and cleaned after each use.

I've had a bunch of 38 Special LE trade-in model 10's and 64's over the years. They tend to be a little rough on the outside and nearly perfect on the inside. I can't say the same thing for the .357 mag 13/19/65/66 models. If I was in the market for a 38 Special 4" K-frame, I would buy one of those Canadian trade-ins sight unseen.

EMC45
11-03-2017, 09:01 AM
I'm in the same camp as Dubber. I have come to shoot DA better than SA with Smith revolvers. I can "stage" the trigger and hold it there all day if I had to. I have come to like the feeling of shooting DA better than SA. Better groups and more consistency is my thing. No grip geometry change either - just point and squeeze.

Those 64s look nice. I do believe I am good on .38 wheelguns though.

Bill*B
11-08-2017, 01:12 PM
The homely S&W Model 10 with 4" barrel was THE police revolver for the first half of the 20th century for some very good reasons - it was - and is - tough, accurate, and compact. There's nothing to worry about, remember, or fiddle with - just haul it out and pull the trigger.

robertbank
11-08-2017, 02:32 PM
I just gotta jump in here. I absolutely love my Model 10 - no Dash. 5". Great plinker at the range. Gun will get a lot of use next spring as I recover from shoulder surgery. I have acquired a ton of 38spl cases and they do seem to last forever. I like clean guns and scrubbing out the cylinders of my GP-100 & 686 after a session of 38spl gets old quick. The Model 10 of course does not suffer from that malady.

You can thank out ******* Liberals for those Montreal Police guns heading your way. Aside from 4" barreled guns being "Prohibitive" firearms the Firearms Act also prohibits the sale of government issued firearms to the general Canadian public. Their god fearing conscience has no problem selling the baby killers into the US though. Ah life in the Great White North. We lost a Abbotsford Constable to a shooter up here this week. Just another example as how are stupid gun laws are preventing drug dealers getting hold of guns. Good luck your way...at least you have the 2nd Amendment. Sorry for the time shift but I do love the Model 10 revolver. Glad they are going to gun enthusiasts in the US as opposed to the melting pot.

Take Care

Bob

hollywood63
11-09-2017, 07:22 AM
Based off the OP I was in the same situation where I was looking for a 38 plinker. Not really wanting to spend 500 or so on something I was not going to clean after every outing I went this way.
https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/2084_21_231/products_id/91848/EAA+EARB384+Windicator+38+Special+4+6rd+Blued+Allo y+Frame+B
Was really looking for a 357 but this fit the bill. Right out of the box I figured I would put it through a torturer test and just shoot it until it stopped. If it wasn't for a hot load that went down the pipe and bent the cheap blast shield above the forcing cone it would have went longer before cleaning (felt guilty). Anyway a little tap here and there the little shield is straight and off we go. I have probably put 4-5000 through this thing and its only been cleaned three times working on the fourth as on of the chambers is getting dirty and I have to help a round in. So I have to tap the pins that hold this and that back in once in awhile but for 3 bills I could have asked for anything else. One last thing with my load I worked up the thing is an absolute tack driver. Guaranteed the best 300 I ever spent.

Outpost75
11-09-2017, 11:20 AM
...I absolutely love my Model 10 - no Dash. 5"...You can thank out $%^$^#@# Liberals for those Montreal Police guns heading your way. Aside from 4" barreled guns being "Prohibitive" firearms the Firearms Act also prohibits the sale of government issued firearms to the general Canadian public. Their god fearing conscience has no problem selling the baby killers into the US though. Ah life in the Great White North...Good luck your way...at least you have the 2nd Amendment. Sorry for the time shift but I do love the Model 10 revolver. Glad they are going to gun enthusiasts in the US as opposed to the melting pot. Take Care Bob

I don't know if any have ever been released surplus, probably were recycled into Ottawa man hole covers and fire hydrants, but in the late 1980s Ruger made a run of 5" Police Service Six revolvers, IIRC .38 Specials, which I believe went to the RCMP. Most were blued, but IIRC there were some stainless revolvers destined for the Pacific coast and Atlantic maritime provinces. I was at the Newport, NH plant when these were being turned out, and they were probably the best DA revolvers that Ruger ever built. The Canadian Forces and RCMP QARs who supervised the final assembly, proofing and final acceptance inspection of those revolvers were highly knowledgable and thoroughly professional. As the company's QA manager at the time it was a real pleasure to work with competent people who really understood the mechanics of revolvers and knew their business. Much different than the French bean counters and the India reps who were more interested in shopping trips to send goodies home...

robertbank
11-09-2017, 12:37 PM
Good to know. After the Montreal Massacre where all the female engineering students got shot the Conservative Gov'y passed some anti gun legislation to quell the unwashed masses. I believe the legislation they passed affected the sale of surplus forearms to the Canadian public. I know in 1968 I bought a Webley 38spl from the Edmonton City Police. I knew a Sargent back then who arranged the selection and sale to me. That was then and this is now so not much point in reflecting back on what once was. Good to hear our folks were professional. I will watch for those Rugers on our equipment exchange.

Thanks for the info.

Take Care

Bob

ddixie884
11-09-2017, 09:47 PM
I just noticed in this thread, Lloyd Smalle has been banned. Would asking why get me banned, too?

tazman
11-09-2017, 11:54 PM
Go to his profile and read his last post. I suspect it was what got him banned. Unless he posted something afterward and the post got removed.

charles1990
11-11-2017, 01:17 AM
Ruger Security Six. Cheaper and more rugged than any S&W, Colt or Tarus.

OR this one: https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/411539731