PDA

View Full Version : NAA ,22 cal black power?

Steppenwolf
10-27-2017, 07:14 PM
I see that NAA makes a black powder cylinder for their small frame .22 revolvers,https://northamericanarms.com/parts/parts-cb/

I am interested in buying a revolver and think the bp cylinder would be fun. Just wondering if anyone has experience with the bp cylinder?

Thanks

rancher1913
10-27-2017, 09:33 PM
they are fun to play with but not much power. mine would not even penetrate an old refrigerator we were shooting at, just left a little dent in the metal. the regular 22's would go right through.

rodwha
10-27-2017, 09:59 PM
they are fun to play with but not much power. mine would not even penetrate an old refrigerator we were shooting at, just left a little dent in the metal. the regular 22's would go right through.

With what powder and which type of cylinder (standard or magnum)?

rancher1913
10-27-2017, 11:08 PM
well lets see, the op is asking about black powder so its a safe bet I was using black powder especially since I compared it to regular 22's so the answer would be---black powder, probably 3 or 4 f. the cylinder was whatever came with the gun since its been 20 years since I shot it I don't really remember but I would guess regular. may have to dig the thing out of the dark recesses of my safe and see if its still fun to play with.

rodwha
10-28-2017, 01:47 AM
well lets see, the op is asking about black powder so its a safe bet I was using black powder especially since I compared it to regular 22's so the answer would be---black powder, probably 3 or 4 f. the cylinder was whatever came with the gun since its been 20 years since I shot it I don't really remember but I would guess regular. may have to dig the thing out of the dark recesses of my safe and see if its still fun to play with.

Being a BP arm I assumed we were speaking about either BP or a substitute of. There are many options from some, what I figure to be pathetically weak on up to fairly energetic, and then there's 4F which also has its flavors of weaker and energetic. Quite frankly just changing the brand can nearly double the energy if you'd look at the chronographed results.

And the NAA comes in two flavors. One duplicates the LR cylinder and the other the WRM cylinder. And there's a big deifference between the two regardless of BP or cartridge, but I'm certain you know that.

I was merely curious as I've been a bit curious about the magnum version of percussion arm, but only with an energetic powder and maybe even that being 4F.

Sometimes it's hard to interpret one's intentions or mannerisms online.

curator
10-28-2017, 08:41 AM
Check with NAA. I'm pretty sure the cap & ball cylinder won't work properly in a .22 rimfire cartridge revolver as the hammers and possibly the frame are different. For sure the C&B revolver can't be converted to cartridges by swapping out the cylinder. Some time ago there was a poster on this forum; "busyhands" who posted a lot of his experiments with his NAA C&B revolver. Some of these threads may be in the archives. IIRC he was using 777 (FFFg) and also Bullseye powders (which most of us did NOT recommend) to get near .22WRF power. His posts were amusing with his youthful enthusiasm but showed that the NAA C&B revolver could be a fun "toy" even if not particularly effective.

jdfoxinc
10-28-2017, 10:15 AM
NAA recomends 4f.

Steppenwolf
10-30-2017, 05:54 PM
Thanks for the answers, Cheers.

mazo kid
10-30-2017, 09:06 PM
I have a Super Companion and it easily penetrates 1" boards. Loaded with 4 grains of ffffg powder. Several years ago NAA used to say you could safely shoot 2 grains of Bullseye in these guns. As I understand, BATFE got after them as these were sold as BP guns, so no more talk of smokeless loads. I am not advocating this, if you do so, you do it at your own risk.