PDA

View Full Version : smoky roast beets

JonB_in_Glencoe
10-26-2017, 12:15 PM
about once a year, in the fall, while I have the smoker going...I'll put a few Beets in there to get a bit of smoke on them, then finish them in the oven in a covered pan. They are pretty good while warm, but they are Great as a cold side dish the next day...sliced fairly thin with a slight drizzle of olive oil and maybe put a fresh basil leaf on top of each slice.

I add NO salt or pepper.
just the flavor combination of the sweet beet and that smokiness on the skin (yes I leave the skins on).

Boaz
10-26-2017, 02:06 PM
Bout how long do you leave em in the smoker Jonb . I remember you mentioning this in a previous thread .

farmerjim
10-26-2017, 02:44 PM
Beets, the only vegetable I don't like.
I grow them because SWMBO loves them. I will have to tell her about this way to cook them.

Smoke4320
10-26-2017, 02:52 PM
Sounds interesting .. might have to try this

JonB_in_Glencoe
10-26-2017, 04:27 PM
Bout how long do you leave em in the smoker Jonb . I remember you mentioning this in a previous thread .

About 20 minutes in the smoke...depending on how the smoke is rollin.
The few I did yesterday were large, and took 2 hours in the oven at 350º to finish them...just check tenderness with a fork.

MaryB
10-27-2017, 09:11 PM
Hmmm smoke them just enough to slip the skins off then make pickled beets...

shaner
10-27-2017, 10:45 PM
about once a year, in the fall, while I have the smoker going...I'll put a few Beets in there to get a bit of smoke on them, then finish them in the oven in a covered pan. They are pretty good while warm, but they are Great as a cold side dish the next day...sliced fairly thin with a slight drizzle of olive oil and maybe put a fresh basil leaf on top of each slice.

I add NO salt or pepper.
just the flavor combination of the sweet beet and that smokiness on the skin (yes I leave the skins on).Sounds delicious

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

Idaho Mule
11-01-2017, 11:13 PM
I am gearing up to smoke some sausage here soon so am going to have to try this. Thank you Jon B!! JW