PDA

View Full Version : s&w 629 classic

joejr
08-12-2008, 07:21 PM
my 629 classic will not fire single action half the time. it seems to jump to double action and forces the trigger forward. adjusting the mainspring tension screw didn't seem to help.

any help apreciated
thank you
joejr

deltaenterprizes
08-12-2008, 08:41 PM
Anybody been inside it? Did you buy it new? Smith has a lifetime warranty for the original owner,send it back.

MtGun44
08-13-2008, 01:58 AM
The single action 'notch' in a S&W is TINY, and the sear tip has a microscopic
square corner that engages it. Anybody fiddling with these without being
a bonafide expert will screw it up for certain. Possibly a bit of crud in the
tiny 'notch'. Try blasting the guts with brake cleaner aerosol. If it still won't
hold - you need a REAL S&W gunsmith. Prolly need either new hammer or
trigger or both if it has been 'basement gunsmithed' on the single action
trigger/hammer engagement.

S&W if you are the original owner. KNOWN GOOD S&W gunsmith or S&W if not.

Good luck.

Bill

joejr
08-13-2008, 05:46 AM
thank you guys, i got it used , so i don't know if anyones fiddled with it. i traded for it in 02 and thought he was origonal owner. maybe i can get him to send it back to s&w.
thank you
joejr

fourarmed
08-13-2008, 12:18 PM
I once had a 657 which I bought for new at a gunshow, which would "push off." If you pulled the trigger single action, it would fall to half cock unless you really yanked it. I consulted Kuhnhausen's shop manual, and restoned the single action sear surface to a slightly different angle. That fixed it.

The trigger breaking force must be balanced with the force of the trigger return spring. I have a Uberti highwall that someone had stoned to a hair trigger without reducing the heavy trigger spring force, and the sear would bounce off the half cock step every time you pulled the trigger, producing misfires. I made a new, much lighter return spring, cleaned up the battered sear surface, and now it works beautifully.

MtGun44
08-13-2008, 09:59 PM
Fourarmed,

Proving, once again, that the careful and patient amateur can do really
good work. :drinks:

Well done. Most folks aren't up to this one, and my true expert S&W
gunsmith friend has warned me to avoid it if possible. Kunhausen's books
are pretty darned good, sure give you a leg up over trying to figure
it out on your own! I have several of his shop manuals, including the
S&W one. My S&W gunsmith doesn't agree with all of his methods, tho.

I have not yet been forced to learn to do S&W single action
trigger notch work. I've been very lucky, so far. Not looking forward
to it particularly, either. I just look at the parts and the geometry and know
that they are case hardened and decide the single action is JUST FINE, which
it actually is in all my S&Ws, which by itself is fairly amazing.

Bill

fourarmed
08-14-2008, 02:18 PM
MtGun44, I know what you mean. I would not have tried it if it hadn't been a situation where the gun was not safe as it was. After I read about it in Kuhnhausen, that particular job did not seem to be very difficult, and it wasn't. On the other hand, it may only seem that way because I was incredibly lucky and got it right the first try.

wonderwolf
08-14-2008, 02:36 PM
JoeJr what is the serial # on your gun? there might be a old recall for your gun. mine was doing the same thing I sent it in and they fixed the problem and sent it back no charge! The problem (as it was explained to me) was the hardness in the steel and parts wore out fast. Mine is not a classic but just a 6" 629 half lug

joejr
08-14-2008, 08:03 PM
wonderwolf,the #is ceu2799 629-5 8 3/8" full lug. i've shot about 9 thousand rounds through ,it mostly cast. i was hoping it would last a little longer
thanks
joejr

pincherpartner
08-14-2008, 11:28 PM
Hey Joejr,

This probably won't help, but you may want to check and see if any shops near you have a similar event. We have a large gunshop that has a large annual sale and brings in a S&W gunsmith and he does trigger jobs for a small ($25) donation to the state rifle association. I had the same "push-off" condition happening with my 686 and I wasn't even aware of it. So for me that was the best money ever spent.

HeavyMetal
08-15-2008, 12:28 AM
What ever you decide to do please keep in mind the smith hammer and trigger are only surface hardened and thats rarely more than .015 deep!

Any stoning can and will go through this pretty fast if one is not careful.

I would pull the side plate and look for trash or grease build up. It's amazing how many people think a pistol is just like a wheel bearing!

If you can't find an obvious reason for the problem take it to a trained Smith mechanic and don't be shy about asking to see credentials!

MtGun44
08-15-2008, 01:16 AM
fourarmed,

I'll bet you have a good eye and a steady hand and know to go slow.
May be easy for you, but not for everyone.

Bill

joejr
08-15-2008, 05:39 AM
thank you guys.i pulled the side plate off and cleaned it with brake cleaner.it still doesn't work.i don't dare try stoning anything,it looks tooo complicated to me.i,ll make some phone calls today.
thanks to you all
joejr

Dark Helmet
08-16-2008, 12:06 PM
Send it to S&W, if they charge you it won't be too bad, at least they are fairly reasonable on their charges. They also have some package jobs you may be interested in.

pietro
08-18-2008, 08:17 AM
Definitely try the S&W factory - You might get lucky.

I bought a well-used Model 41 for $300 that was a jam-o-matic, as the slide wouldn't fully close w/o a little "help" - probably the reason it was only $300.

I sent it in to S&W, they replaced the slide & mag, and refinished the frame to match - for the bubble !

And, just as good, I had the gun back in two weeks !

They turned a $300 beater into a $750 shooter (no original box, etc).

cajun shooter
08-18-2008, 10:51 AM
Let me jump in and say Don't even pull the side plate if your not Qualified!!! I'm a former range and S&W trained armorer. Most people pull the side plate by prying it off and that is wrong. The front screw is fitted for the crane and should not be swapped but it happens all the time and results in stiff opening of the cylinder. Some one has been into this weapon. As stated earlier the single action step on the hammer is very small and should never be touched. This weapon has what is known as push off and should be serviced by someone who is trained to do so. Please seek out Qualified help.

felix
08-18-2008, 11:10 AM
Cajun shooter, are you a combat person? Do you prefer to call your guns and pocket knives and baseball bats weapons? If so, you are prolly on the wrong board. Most of us, if not all, are into a hobby, which means our tools of the trade are non-threatening toys. ... felix

Heavy lead
08-18-2008, 12:29 PM
Let me jump in and say Don't even pull the side plate if your not Qualified!!! I'm a former range and S&W trained armorer. Most people pull the side plate by prying it off and that is wrong. The front screw is fitted for the crane and should not be swapped but it happens all the time and results in stiff opening of the cylinder. Some one has been into this weapon. As stated earlier the single action step on the hammer is very small and should never be touched. This weapon has what is known as push off and should be serviced by someone who is trained to do so. Please seek out Qualified help.

The problem here is what is the definition of qualified. I've known plenty of people who had documentation to show they are "Qualified" I wouldn't let work of anything of mine. Quite frankly if you aren't skilled enough to take off a sideplate properly on a Smith, you probably shouldn't be reloading either. This should be done for inspection and regular maintance as well. I agree with the notion that most people should keep their distance from a firearm with a stone unless they fully well know it could result in having to buy new parts but you have to remember, there is some pretty skilled members around here. The first thing I do when I buy any new firearm is study the owners manual and take it down, just as far as I can without pulling barrels and such, clean it, and lube it properly, sometimes changing springs and such. This helps me understand the mechanical workings of the piece. The more a person understands their firearm, and how it works mechanically the better.

cajun shooter
08-25-2008, 09:43 AM
First, Let me address Felix as it seems your hair on your back was raised by my comments. My military and law enforcement years trained me in using the word weapons!! And I'm very proud to have served in both even if we receive no respect for it!! Now let me say that I was trying to help some one and if they would want I would have tried to help via phone or mail without any thing wanted more than a thank you. Since being on this site I've seen that happen alot and as my military and law enforcement training kicked in without any reason other than to help. Have a nice day and hope you don't have to call a cop!!:coffee::castmine:

felix
08-25-2008, 12:02 PM
I know how you feel. Whenever I communicate, I do my best to pick a vocabulary that does not reflect my 40 years experience of dealing with computers and their applications, but instead try to expound upon subject matter using terms which are easily understood by those on this board. This includes finding out which words and phrases are acceptable as not to offend. Public Speaking 101. ... felix

Heavy lead
08-25-2008, 03:46 PM
First, Let me address Felix as it seems your hair on your back was raised by my comments. My military and law enforcement years trained me in using the word weapons!! And I'm very proud to have served in both even if we receive no respect for it!! Now let me say that I was trying to help some one and if they would want I would have tried to help via phone or mail without any thing wanted more than a thank you. Since being on this site I've seen that happen alot and as my military and law enforcement training kicked in without any reason other than to help. Have a nice day and hope you don't have to call a cop!!:coffee::castmine:

CS, looks like you've been around here about the same time as me. IMO this needs to diffuse. I read through the last 4 posts over and over again, and I just can't see where anyone made any derogatory remarks about your military or police training, or the military or police in general. I call weapons, weapons too, and I agree they should be respected first as that no matter what. But that last quote"Have a nice day and hope you don't have to call a cop!!" Talk about a typical narcosistic quote (something I would expect to see on the Marxist written Law and Order series). I don't think anyone was trying to insult you. But there are a lot of opinions around here, a lot of times all of them are right at least to a degree. Narcosistic comments won't fly around here unchallenged.