PDA

View Full Version : Pump action 22

dk17hmr
08-12-2008, 03:54 PM
I am looking for a Pump 22 for my girlfriend. I think a Remington 572 Fieldmaster is in order. But I cant justify paying more then $250 for a 22 rimfire.

Anyone have any suggestions? Other models or brands, we dont need a collector we need a shooter.

08-12-2008, 07:59 PM
It's not a pump, but the Henry lever is one of the most accurate rifles I've shot. Need a change of sights and that's it. .......and it's not expensive.

Morgan Astorbilt
08-12-2008, 08:04 PM
Hunt up a good used Win. 61. Not as neat looking as the 62, but more accurate.
Morgan

dk17hmr
08-12-2008, 11:01 PM
I have a Henry lever, she doesnt like it, dont know why, she can hit the flipper targets very well with it.

Henry makes a Pump 22 also that I looked at yesterday, I would probably buy one but like I said earlier I cant justify much over a $250 22 rifle, the Henry pump was close to $400

08-12-2008, 11:18 PM
Didn't know they made a pump.

Bent Ramrod
08-13-2008, 12:03 AM
Taurus makes a copy of the Winchester Model 62. A friend of mine has a couple of them in .22 Mag and .17HMR. They're also made in .22 RF caliber. Very nice pump rifles, if you don't insist on a scope; a classic Browning design. The carbine version is certifiably "cute," if your lady friend is into such things. Don't know what the cost is these days.

chaos
08-13-2008, 12:06 AM
My first rifle was a 22 pump made by Iver Johnson. Slick little gun with untold round count down the pipe. Still a sweet shooter 30 years later. Wish I had a few more of them.

chickenstripe
08-13-2008, 08:45 AM
Rossi makes a pump 22. Not sure how much they want for a new one, but you can pick up a used one around here for ~$150

Growing up we put over 40K rounds through tone of those. Looks like a smoothbore now.....

Check out gunbroker, they have some on there for around ~250.

Paruse the local gun stores, and traders guides, I can't see you having a problem finding one in the price range you seek.

jlchucker
08-13-2008, 09:13 AM
I once had one of those Rossi 62's, as did a friend of mine. Both shot extremely well. In a kind of stupid move, I traded mine for a Remington 572 Fieldmaster, thinking I was upgrading from a copy. I say stupid because of two problems that I had with the Remmy. One was the stock--the raised "monte carlo" hump made it difficult to use the otherwise excellent iron sights. The other problem was the pump handle itself--unless the shooter reaches out pretty far on the forearm, he/she could pinch the pumping hand between the forearm and receiver. I traded away the Remmy eventually. Nowadays I'd have considered sanding off the monte carlo hump, but don't know what I'd do about the back of the forearm. I wish I still had the Rossi--it didn't have the sick-lawyer safety on top like the current ones do.

chickenstripe
08-13-2008, 09:31 AM
One of the cool things you could do was load 22 shorts in the Rossi (20 or so), and hold the trigger in while working the action..... sounded like an automatic!!!

Also, it could be broken down and stowed in a backpack to walk through the neighborhood on our way to the woods!

Yeah, I parted with mine a bunch of years ago (maybe 10) A buddy that I grew up with tracked down the gun and bought it from that guy about 3yrs ago. but he also parted with it. I just recently found this out.

Woulda like to have that back. Lot's o' memories.

MT Gianni
08-13-2008, 08:47 PM
I have a sears pump that I got for my 12th birthday. [OK it was'68] It feeds Shorts and LR well. I have never seen the need to shoot longs. Accuracy is good but not great. I think it is made by High Standard. Gianni

44minimum
08-18-2008, 07:30 PM
I bought one of those Taurus model 62 carbines, a stainless 16 inch barrel one for $219 about two years ago. Neat little gun. Probably about 1500 rounds through it and no problems so far. Came with two stocks, one shorter than the other for children or shorter folks to shoot more comfortably with. My little nephew loves it.

longhorn
08-18-2008, 08:55 PM
My Rossi was a jewel--stupidly traded it away long ago. Let an old guy comment first that you need to rethink that $250 limit--there's an Anschutz in my safe, and it'd be the last long gun to go. A fine .22 is a thing of beauty and a joy for as long as you own it--and it'll kill any thing that walks, crawls, or flies if you know how to shoot it.......

twotoescharlie
08-18-2008, 09:14 PM
I had two different taurus pumps, both shot patterns, sent back to taurus, they returned with a target no better than mine. I had several people shoot the rifles with the same results. Installed a Marbles tang sight, same results. It was a safe queen for two years,got to thinking about and just got madder and madder. removed my tang sight, cut it up into 6 inch sections and returned to Taurus along with all correspondence and bill of sale. to this day I have heard not a word from Taurus. this was about 4 years ago. really to bad as I really liked the feel of this little rifle.
TTC

OBXPilgrim
08-18-2008, 09:37 PM
Hope you don't have car that doesn't perform like to should, there twotoes. :mrgreen:

That would get kind of expensive mailing back to Michigan [smilie=1:

dk17hmr
08-19-2008, 12:18 AM
I feel $250 is a good number for a pump 22. If I were after a 40x or a Anschutz, fine benchrest target rifle, $250 would be a good start for the sites. But for what we need a $250 limit is more than enough. Plinking and maybe some small game hunting, she doesnt need a high end rifle.

Thanks for the imput guys...I will know what to look for now. If I can get an older Remington 572 in good condition I will likely own it.

Lucky Joe
08-19-2008, 09:17 AM
Often a little more than $250.00 and not a pump so I probably should just stay out of this but the Marlin 39A is a wonderful .22. I have one and my eye on another.

jmabbott888
08-19-2008, 09:19 PM
I've got one of those Rossi's, great little rifle from back in the early to mid 80's. Only problem I have is it will not extract any spent cases other than CCI Mini-mags, don't ask why cause I don't know lol.

DAFzipper
08-20-2008, 08:04 PM
I'm in for one, possibly two depending on price.

chickenstripe
08-21-2008, 10:18 AM
jmabbott888
The extractor was a bit picky on mine also.... just had to keep it clean, and even hit it with a file a few times (every few thousand rounds) before I finally replaced it....

oldhickory
08-21-2008, 11:00 AM
I have one of the old Rossi carbines and it functions as well as a Winchester. The only issue I have with it is the thumb size front sight they installed on it. I'm certain it would shoot much better with finer sights. Other-wise a nice little rifle.

kingstrider
08-21-2008, 05:22 PM
A while back I bought a Remington 12C which was made in the early 1900s. It wasn't pretty but it shot well enough and was cheap, around $150. I sold it to buy something else but would love to have another in better condition.