PDA

View Full Version : Want To Build: 9mm AR15

MikeD7
10-25-2017, 09:36 PM
Has anyone built one? I am looking for dos and don'ts. I want it to be a pistol and it must have LRBHO.

Thanks!

EMR
10-25-2017, 10:23 PM
I’ve built three (one for me and two for friends). All are colt SMG based, not the Glock based. If you get the ramped bolt, you need the standard hammer without the notch cut in the corner. Otherwise the hammer won’t engage the sear.

Get a heavy buffer tube since it’s blow back and stuff the buffer tube with quarters so the buffer doesn’t have too much over travel and break your slide release over time.

Here’s my 9mm pistol. 100% reliable with all types of ammo. I used the Hahn Precision adapter for all of them. Has the LRBHO.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171026/5b3d70ebf0ad78327f84070a737a87ae.jpg

Lloyd Smale
10-27-2017, 05:59 AM
never built one but do have a cmmg 9mm that runs like a swiss watch.

6bg6ga
10-27-2017, 07:49 AM
Maybe someone can elaborate on the parts selection which is better the Glock mag setup or the colt or what ever. Where to purchase the uppers, bolts and so forth. What AR-15 parts can or cannot be used . Barrel selection who has the full length or pistol length barrels and so forth.

jmorris
10-27-2017, 07:52 AM
I picked up my "kit" from model1sales. Came with everything except the lower reciever and that is all you have to assemble, the upper is ready to go.

6bg6ga
10-27-2017, 08:11 AM
I picked up my "kit" from model1sales. Came with everything except the lower reciever and that is all you have to assemble, the upper is ready to go.

Ya but I have all the tools[smilie=1:

imashooter2
10-27-2017, 08:40 AM
Maybe someone can elaborate on the parts selection which is better the Glock mag setup or the colt or what ever. Where to purchase the uppers, bolts and so forth. What AR-15 parts can or cannot be used . Barrel selection who has the full length or pistol length barrels and so forth.

The only advantage to a Glock lower is commonality if you already have a pile of Glock magazines.

762X51
10-27-2017, 08:48 AM

I'll second that. One of my favorite guns. Fun and cheap to shoot and the nephews love it.

cwheel
10-27-2017, 11:13 AM
I built the rifle version using PSA parts and it works perfectly. I opted for the version that uses Glock mags just to make getting mags cheaper and easier to find. Quality is on par with any others I've seen. They also have the parts kits to make the other version that uses Colt style mags. Their prices are much better than the other makers I priced out. Only criticism I have of PSA is they often are out of stock on some items with long wait times, but the price savings made the wait more than worth it in the end. They do stock a upper in a pistol version, I just didn't have a interest in it or the SBR version when I made mine for the grandkids to plink with when we had the 22 shortages a few years back. We could shoot our cast bullet 9mm reloads for half the price that 22's were going for at the time.
Chris

EMR
10-27-2017, 11:26 AM

Between http://www.9mmar.com/StoreHome.html and Midway, you can get all the parts you need. Like someone mentioned earlier, go Glock magwell if you have glock mags already. Admittedly Glock mags are way easier to load than the Colt SMG mags. If you buy a standard AR lower, you need a mag adapter, a standard AR lower parts kit, and a heavy buffer/spring and pistol buffer tube.

The upper only requires a 9mm bolt without a gas block and gas tube (blowback not impingement). Get a 9mm barrel and mount it with any standard handguard and upper receiver, charging handle that you wish. For mine, I ended up picking up my barrel from Green Mountain and having a local guy cut it down to accept a Noveske Pig to just protrude from the handguard.

When selecting a bolt, if you choose a ramped bolt, you may use a standard hammer (without the notch). If you choose an unramped bolt, you’ll need a 9mm hammer. I went with the CMMG bolt and a standard DPMS LPK.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171027/afaf7b7dd4447162224c526c7d852f3c.jpg

vzerone
10-27-2017, 11:29 AM
The only advantage to a Glock lower is commonality if you already have a pile of Glock magazines.

I don't agree with that. Glock magazine are plentiful and cheap, plus they come in a variety of capacities. They are also current and will be around for a long time.

vzerone
10-27-2017, 11:29 AM

I bet you would like their new 45 acp one!!! Very unique bolt design on it to make it a delayed blow back.

cwheel
10-27-2017, 04:01 PM
The 9mmar link proved interesting. I sure haven't bought stuff from them, but their prices are WAY higher priced for what looks like the same stuff PSA has for sale. Quality is hard to compare unless you had both side by side. I don't regret doing my build with the upper and lower assemblies PSA offered and got a shooting rifle around $500 without the sights. Sure would be your choice.
Chris

6bg6ga
10-27-2017, 04:12 PM
I tend to agree. The prices are higher than what I would expect to pay. There isn't enough defference to command the higher prices. Why should it cost for example $150 for a 9mm barrel when I can find 223 barrels for less than $50 cost. The same goes for the rest of the stuff. I guess if you want a different caliber get ready to bend over.

vzerone
10-27-2017, 04:20 PM
I tend to agree. The prices are higher than what I would expect to pay. There isn't enough defference to command the higher prices. Why should it cost for example $150 for a 9mm barrel when I can find 223 barrels for less than $50 cost. The same goes for the rest of the stuff. I guess if you want a different caliber get ready to bend over.

Because it's more a novelty. I agree with you and being that there is supposedly an AR glut why haven't the prices come down on all of them?

MikeD7
10-27-2017, 05:38 PM
What is the difference on lowers that say they aren't LRBHO vs the ones that are? I see Spartan lowers in 9mm that say you must get an upper that has LRBHO. I would like to go with PSA or whoever is the most cost effective, but I want LRBHO.

Multigunner
10-27-2017, 06:33 PM
Seems to me a .45 ACP conversion would be more efficient if a suppressor is to be used.

Has anyone marketed a dedicated upper and lower optimized for this general type carbine able to use many AR internal parts and aftermarket external fittings such as stocks and rail mounted sights and such?

By optimized I mean the magwell and ejector port sized to the pistol caliber dimensions, and the entire action a bit shorter over all.
That would shave a few ounces at least and maybe an inch or so from OAL. Add a quick barrel takedown feature for storage or switching calibers. Market barrel and mag kits for all commonly found 9mm and 38 rimless or semi rimmed rounds up to the 9mm Winchester magnum. 7.62X25 kits as well.

dragon813gt
10-27-2017, 06:58 PM

There is a big difference. It's called volume. 9mm barrels are a small market. Where as tens of thousands of 223 barrels are sold each year. And those cheap 223 barrels are run of the mill milspec barrels. Look at the price of say a Krieger barrel and it's easy to see that small volume means a higher price.

vzerone
10-27-2017, 07:15 PM
Seems to me a .45 ACP conversion would be more efficient if a suppressor is to be used.

Has anyone marketed a dedicated upper and lower optimized for this general type carbine able to use many AR internal parts and aftermarket external fittings such as stocks and rail mounted sights and such?

By optimized I mean the magwell and ejector port sized to the pistol caliber dimensions, and the entire action a bit shorter over all.
That would shave a few ounces at least and maybe an inch or so from OAL. Add a quick barrel takedown feature for storage or switching calibers. Market barrel and mag kits for all commonly found 9mm and 38 rimless or semi rimmed rounds up to the 9mm Winchester magnum. 7.62X25 kits as well.

I don't think any manufacturer would do that. If they were that willing we all know that if the AR15 was just a tiny bit longer so you could shoehorn in a cartridge that could really performe, then the current crop of wildcats, they would have done so.

Now there are companies out there that do have a dedicated lower receiver, meaning the smaller mag well, and CMMG is one of them. You should take a look at their AR 45 comes in both pistol and rifle form. Pretty exclusive delayed blowback, wish they would come out with it in 9mm.

Gunslinger1911
10-31-2017, 11:29 AM
Olympic Arms has uppers in 9mm, 10mm, and 45 ACP.
Use standard lower - they have a proprietary mag that takes up the whole mag well.
I have the 45 - great fun !

Moleman-
10-31-2017, 12:17 PM
Thought Olympic had closed their doors, but apparently they're looking for a buyer now. Looks like you can now get 22-250 bolts and extensions!

As far as 9mm ar15's I'd go with a dedicated 9mm lower (I like the CMMG colt pattern) over the magwell blocks which seem to have more issues with feeding. Keep an eye out on midway as over the summer they had AR-Stoner 9mm barrels on sale for around $60 like this one https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1018653133/ar-stoner-barrel-ar-15-9mm-luger-medium-contour-1-2-36-thread-1-in-10-twist-16-chrome-moly-phosphate PSA or Spinta will occasionally have blem ramped bolts for $100 or less, get a heavy 8oz-10oz 9mm buffer and the rest of the gun can be standard 223. Get a 9mm port door and deflector if you wish, but a 223 one will work. Jse usually has 9mm port door kits for less than $15 http://www.jsesurplus.com/cmmg9mmdeflector.aspx and the c-products 9mm mags work great for me http://www.jsesurplus.com/cproducts9mmstainlesssteelmagazine-2.aspx

We got one of the AR-Stoner 9mm barrels for $60 back when they had their 4th of July sale as a gift for the FIL. Spinta had a run of blem 9mm bolts at the time for $90 and I made him a heavy SS buffer using a piece of 304 SS and a $1 KAK industries buffer bumper. He didn't want a dedicated lower so we got him a KAK magwell block https://www.kakindustry.com/ar-15-parts/lower-parts/individual-lower-small-parts/ar15-9mm-mag-adaptor handguard and muzzle break off of ebay along with a standard upper, the JSE port door kit and a standard upper. The magwell block fit too tight and needed .005" taken off of the front side and to make it feed easier the feed ramp in the barrel was recut, but a slight polish of the mag block bullet guides and feed ramp would of likely worked also. Works great. Usually I make my own 9mm barrels, but for less than a $20 difference from a GMB gunsmith blank the ar-stoner barrels are a steal.

vzerone
10-31-2017, 12:31 PM
Here looks like a good place to get your 9mm parts for 9mm AR15:

https://www.aimsurplus.com/catalog.aspx?groupid=6367&name=9mm+AR+Accessories

308Jeff
10-31-2017, 12:58 PM
I think I must be the only guy on the planet that wants a 40 S&W AR. Mostly because I have eleventeen billion pieces of brass and I prefer reloading 40 S&W over 9mm.

There's a few options out there (Olympics, Rock River), but nothing I really like due to cost or magazine selection.

I may have to settle on a 9mm...

vzerone
10-31-2017, 01:03 PM
I think I must be the only guy on the planet that wants a 40 S&W AR. Mostly because I have eleventeen billion pieces of brass and I prefer reloading 40 S&W over 9mm.

There's a few options out there (Olympics, Rock River), but nothing I really like due to cost or magazine selection.

I may have to settle on a 9mm...

The site I just posted has it all in 9mm, 40S&W, 10mm, and 45acp. They use Glock magazines.

308Jeff
10-31-2017, 03:37 PM
The site I just posted has it all in 9mm, 40S&W, 10mm, and 45acp. They use Glock magazines.

Aim Surplus? I'm not seeing it. :(

vzerone
10-31-2017, 04:27 PM
Aim Surplus? I'm not seeing it. :(

https://www.aimsurplus.com/catalog.a...AR+Accessories

They are parts and you build it, everything you need.

edp2k
10-31-2017, 08:19 PM
Olympic Arms is long gone.

Shingle
10-31-2017, 08:23 PM
The difference in mags is the glock mags work and dont cost a arms and leg.

imashooter2
11-01-2017, 09:09 AM
The difference in mags is the glock mags work and dont cost a arms and leg.

Colt mags work and don’t cost an arm and a leg. The price on Glock and Colt 30+ round magazines is near enough identical.

308Jeff
11-01-2017, 10:58 AM
https://www.aimsurplus.com/catalog.a...AR+Accessories

They are parts and you build it, everything you need.

I'm feeling pretty dumb.... I can see 9mm and 45, but nothing for 40 S&W.

vzerone
11-01-2017, 11:26 AM
I'm feeling pretty dumb.... I can see 9mm and 45, but nothing for 40 S&W.

You're not, I agree that Aim's website sucks anymore. In fact that link use to bring you to their pistol AR products. Today it doesn't...SO....being their product is made by New Frontier Armory I'm giving you their link and you'll see the 40 S&W products on the list on the left of the page. Let me know if this does it for you.

https://newfrontierarmory.com/

You can then talk to Aim and see if you can get New Frontier Armory products cheaper from them then from the actual distributor. Aim buys in volume and can pass discounts along to you.

308Jeff
11-01-2017, 01:11 PM
You're not, I agree that Aim's website sucks anymore. In fact that link use to bring you to their pistol AR products. Today it doesn't...SO....being their product is made by New Frontier Armory I'm giving you their link and you'll see the 40 S&W products on the list on the left of the page. Let me know if this does it for you.

https://newfrontierarmory.com/

You can then talk to Aim and see if you can get New Frontier Armory products cheaper from them then from the actual distributor. Aim buys in volume and can pass discounts along to you.

That works! Thanks!

Moggy34
11-01-2017, 01:33 PM
I have built one...I built a rifle 16" barrel and the lower receiver accepts Glock Mags since that is my EDC...I bought all of my parts from Joe Bob Outfitters, they were great to work with. Red X Arms is another place to get barrels...

vzerone
11-01-2017, 01:33 PM
Whew! Glad I found something. If you need more help don't hesitate to contact me. Their are more then New Frontier out there that makes these products.

308Jeff
11-02-2017, 01:29 PM
I have built one...I built a rifle 16" barrel and the lower receiver accepts Glock Mags since that is my EDC...I bought all of my parts from Joe Bob Outfitters, they were great to work with. Red X Arms is another place to get barrels...

Whew! Glad I found something. If you need more help don't hesitate to contact me. Their are more then New Frontier out there that makes these products.

Between Joe Bob and NFA, they have everything I need.

Never heard of Job Bob before, but they've got a great website and the Chat Help guy answered all my questions.

Good stuff. Thank you.

vzerone
11-02-2017, 02:51 PM
That Joe Bob Outfitters is quite the site, thanks for posting that.

Shingle
11-08-2017, 04:19 AM
Stay away from the colt type the mags are a problem and LRBHO is a issue.

imashooter2
11-08-2017, 09:46 AM
:roll: Colt magazines are the system that started the breed. They work just fine, the bolt hold open is flawless and the price of 30+ round Colt or Glock magazines is virtually identical.

The only reason to go Glock is commonality with magazines you already own.

fabricator21
11-09-2017, 10:27 AM
I've been wanting to build the same thing. I think this post will get me started

Shingle
11-20-2017, 02:34 PM
The next time you see a metalform mag for less than 20$ please let me know.[smilie=l:

rockrat
11-20-2017, 03:13 PM
Brownells has complete 9mm uppers on sale now.

Shingle
11-24-2017, 07:55 PM
I bought 1-16" barrel from spinta precesion for $70 shipped and another 16" from classic arms for $75 shipped both were blemished not that i could tell.

HotGuns
11-27-2017, 08:39 PM
I've built dozens of 9mm's, .40's, 10mm's and .45 AR's.
Easiest and cheapest way to do it is to buy a complete lower and then whatever upper you want. Palmetto State Armory has what they call "Dailey Deals" and often times you can buy the stuff cheaper already built than what you can parting it out.

Something of interest...
The 9mm lowers that take Glock mags will also take .40 mags. The .45 lowers will also take 10mm mags. IF you order a 9mm lower, you 'll just need a .40 S&W bolt along with a .40 upper and you are good to go. .40 uppers are scarce, they are an easy swap if you can change out the barrel.

Same way with the .45 lowers. If you get a complete .45, to change it to a 10mm, all you have to do is get a .40 Bolt and a 10mm barrel and swap them out.

Most of my stuff are SBR's but you dont need to go that route. You can use a Shockwave Brace and it will be classed as a pistol. They are getting very popular. They are fun to shoot, cheap, accurate and easy to suppress.

Heres a 9mm. Its showing a foldable Shockwave Brace on it.
https://scontent-lax3-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/20526260_1731250926915378_5740483022432386817_n.jp g?oh=6e0b2ee2d77e0cb0988a1e9b45e37f3a&oe=5A99FF1B

Here's a .45. 10mm looks exactly the same. This one is an SBR

https://scontent-lax3-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/20294393_1723120237728447_534891100814782535_n.jpg ?oh=7df5ad3224957efdd01689c119ccb2b9&oe=5A8EAF27