PDA

View Full Version : Budget AR trigger, worth it?

sawinredneck
10-25-2017, 09:05 PM
Love most of my DPMS, but would like just a little better trigger. This is a field/plinking gun so I honestly like a little take up and have no desire for a 2lb $250 trigger!
I just want it a little lighter and crisper. I’ve VERY LIGHTLY stoned it and that helped. I’ve looked at the spring kits but most are set up for 5.56 and I’ve heard a lot of issues with the hammer spring having enough power to light off 7.62. I like to shoot a lot of military ball so I don’t see much gain in buying a spring kit and throwing half of it away!
I’d like to stay under $100, well under if possible please, so thoughts on options or just leave it the Hell alone?

WJP
10-25-2017, 09:19 PM
I've used quite a few Rise Armament triggers without issues. Factory ammo and my reloads with commercial primers. I think they are close to $100. If you have issues with the JP springs you could bob your hammer and see if that helps. A pistol grip adjustment screw isn't a bad investment either.

Rick R
10-25-2017, 09:33 PM
Almost all of my AR15s have ALG triggers. I use the ACT, just a stock trigger made correctly with slippery wear ever coatings.

https://algdefense.com/alg-combat-trigger-act.html

Owned by the same family that owns Geissele.

lefty o
10-25-2017, 09:36 PM
larue mbt is supposed to be pretty good and runs about $100. my own preference in trigger is the JARD adjustable, they run about $150.

sawinredneck
10-25-2017, 10:08 PM
I've used quite a few Rise Armament triggers without issues. Factory ammo and my reloads with commercial primers. I think they are close to $100. If you have issues with the JP springs you could bob your hammer and see if that helps. A pistol grip adjustment screw isn't a bad investment either.
That’s a bit lighter than I’m after, 4.5 is pretty much my comfort level with this gun.
Please elaborate on the grip adjustment screw?

Almost all of my AR15s have ALG triggers. I use the ACT, just a stock trigger made correctly with slippery wear ever coatings.

https://algdefense.com/alg-combat-trigger-act.html

Owned by the same family that owns Geissele.
This is top of the list ATM, one 4star review, pretty impressive and two sets of springs!

larue mbt is supposed to be pretty good and runs about $100. my own preference in trigger is the JARD adjustable, they run about $150.
In the running.

vzerone
10-25-2017, 10:09 PM
I'm a firm believer for a better trigger in the AR's. If you're on a budget the Rock River Arms National Match triggers are okay. They are two stage and you may prefer that over a single stage that's almost a hair trigger, depending on how it's set. The two stage give you a chance to not do the shot should you decide not to at the last moment.

sawinredneck
10-25-2017, 10:45 PM
No, no two stage please, that’s too much hassle for a field rifle imo. I want to switch to “fire” and hit an opposum running at me, or the stupid armadillo before it runs off!
I have terrible back issues and can suffer from random muscle spasms, think arm and leg “twiwtches” if you will. My arms and hands can go numb randomly, nothing like dumping a fresh poured pint of beer on yourself or the floor!
I also purchased this rifle for my son to “grow into”, he’s 12 and not a terribly experienced shooter as I have a hard time paying indoor ranges, but finding places to shoot is getting harder as I can’t schedule my “bad days” around the 90 mile, each way, drive to my dads land anymore. Also there are few indoor ranges that allow full house .308 rounds here.
So yes, I’ve got specific reasons for being so picky, think of walking 100 acres and randomly shooting things type rifle.

vzerone
10-25-2017, 11:03 PM
That's fine sawinredneck. I'm not trying to force what I like on other people, I was just stating what works for me and why.

Bazoo
10-25-2017, 11:10 PM
On a standard military trigger, you can stone them some, but not a whole bunch because they are surface hardened. Then, you can make them less gritty by marrying the parts. If you dont know what this means, I will describe. With the hammer and trigger installed, place a buffer such as a rolled up piece of cloth against the inside of the frame where the hammer strikes. Make sure you have more than enough. Then put extra pressure, maybe 10 pounds more on the hammer by prying on it with your finger or a brass rod or a stick. Then pull the trigger. Do this about 10 or 15 times. This marries the parts, It will cause the parts to smooth small spots out and be more crisp. Also, do it with a very light oil, such as remoil. After you do it, then stone the sear block again very lightly and check it again. Should be a touch lighter, but not gritty if it has any creep, or no creep at all.

M-Tecs
Each to their own but (other than the high speed 3 gun AR competitors) two stage triggers offer significant advantages for accuracy shooting. All my competition and varmint rifles have two stage triggers.

The lightest are 6 oz first and 6 oz second stage up to service rifle weight set at 3 1/2 pounds first and 1 pounds second.

sawinredneck
That's fine sawinredneck. I'm not trying to force what I like on other people, I was just stating what works for me and why.

And I completely respect that! Sorry, didn’t mean to come off rude.

vzerone
10-25-2017, 11:16 PM
You didn't come off rude Sir.

The best thing to do with a stock AR trigger group is to leave it alone!!! An Army armorer taught me that when I was young many years ago! Besides after shooting them they will get a tad better.

jeepguy242
10-25-2017, 11:33 PM
ALG defense combat trigger....

otherwise stay stock or go high dollar

just my opinion

WJP
10-25-2017, 11:46 PM
The pistol grip adjustment screw takes up the pre travel.

sawinredneck
10-25-2017, 11:49 PM
On a standard military trigger, you can stone them some, but not a whole bunch because they are surface hardened. Then, you can make them less gritty by marrying the parts. If you dont know what this means, I will describe. With the hammer and trigger installed, place a buffer such as a rolled up piece of cloth against the inside of the frame where the hammer strikes. Make sure you have more than enough. Then put extra pressure, maybe 10 pounds more on the hammer by prying on it with your finger or a brass rod or a stick. Then pull the trigger. Do this about 10 or 15 times. This marries the parts, It will cause the parts to smooth small spots out and be more crisp. Also, do it with a very light oil, such as remoil. After you do it, then stone the sear block again very lightly and check it again. Should be a touch lighter, but not gritty if it has any creep, or no creep at all.
I may very well try that, excellent suggestion, thank you!

Texas by God
10-26-2017, 09:13 AM
I like the Rock River NM and the Varmint model triggers. I don't want a light single stage on a rough use semi-auto rifle. My ARs are built for hunting first, home defense second. Both of these triggers can be found around $80 by shopping around.
YMMV.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

dragon813gt
10-26-2017, 09:21 AM
ALG ACT or spend a lot more money. It's what's in all four of mine.

MostlyLeverGuns
10-26-2017, 09:24 AM
I've got a Ruger 2-stage on my Mossberg and a Velocity 3-lb single stage on my wife's Bushmaster zombie gun. Both are far better than factory standard Ar triggers. I will put the Velocity trigger on my Mossberg and any new AR15 acquisition. I do not have high round counts on either trigger (100 rounds or less).

Boolit_Head
10-26-2017, 10:14 AM
At the very least with mil spec triggers I use a hard stone to not do much more than just polish the finish on them, Don't want to go through the surface hardening but do want to clean them up and debur the edge. A JP reduced spring kit and one of the adjustment screws that replace the grip screw and you will have a very nice trigger. I have a hard time telling the difference in the break on every one I have done this way versus the CMC Flat trigger I have. They all have had a nice clean crisp break at about 3 1/2 pounds.

sawinredneck
10-26-2017, 11:09 AM
Well, don’t sleep for two days you get all kinds of silly things done, I guess?
I did the marrying trick, used four .020” brass shim stock pieces to cushion the hammer and lightly honed again. So far I’m pretty happy with these results. It’s smooth, takes a little pull and breaks clean. My “calibrated finger” I’d guess still 5-6lbs, a bit heavy still, but usable and probably close to my needs.

DanM
10-26-2017, 11:10 AM
The JP spring kit may work for you. Installed the kit on my RR but had to remove it quick as it gave light primer strikes. Since it goes for only $10 or so, may still be worth a try on your rifle. Went for the LaRue trigger kit, and like it fine. The LaRue kit is a milspec design made as good as it gets. Best steel, best machine work and best finish. They advertise 4.5 lbs, mine breaks right at 4, smooth and crisp. Might be just what you are looking for.

Drydock
10-27-2017, 08:26 PM
https://geissele.com/geissele-2-stage-trigger.html

Got this in both my ARs, great trigger. Gotten over a dozen armadillos with it!

PaulG67
10-27-2017, 08:57 PM
I put a spring kit in my AR, got it from Brownells,. I also stoned the surfaces and the grittiness is gone. Trigger pull is easily half of what it was. I made a slave pin and it was very easy to install. I am quite happy with it.

Moonie
10-28-2017, 02:00 PM
I splurged on a CMC, I love it.

55fairlane
10-28-2017, 10:10 PM
Rock River Arms National Match....3 1/2 pound stage one, 1 pound stage two....breaks lime a glass rod, no creep,no grit....

Don't cheap out on a trigger, a great trigger can make or break a rifle or a shot

Aaron

Michael J. Spangler
10-28-2017, 10:34 PM
Delta team tactical ultra match drop in.

Very nice and under $100. Do it!

Bazoo
10-28-2017, 10:37 PM
I have done the stoning / marrying thing on a couple ARs. I have used the alg milspec trigger, and I didnt really see that it was any better than the stock triggers in the old Bushmasters or dpms. I personally like a 5 pound trigger on an ar, but then again, im not a rifleman.

LUCKYDAWG13
10-29-2017, 09:27 AM
If your still looking for a Trigger give this a look http://www.larue.com/larue-tactical-mbt-2s-trigger