PDA

View Full Version : Going With Accuracy

44MAG#1
10-25-2017, 08:45 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5Sxt0k5AG0

Now let use assumptions and speculations. What kind of groups at say 50 yards, could we estimate, assume, guess, Mr. Keith's M29 carry gun was capable of with the Keith load off the bench?

Let me restate the question so it will be clear. What kind of groups at say 50 yards, could we estimate, assume, guess, Mr. Keith's M29 carry gun was capable of with the "KEITH LOAD" off the bench?

Would it be as capable as the S&W 44's are today or better using the "Keith Load"?

Hickory
10-25-2017, 09:01 AM
3" at 50 yards is possible with a little tinkering, even 5" would be acceptable for hunting deer out to 75 yards.

fecmech
10-25-2017, 09:53 AM
I doubt Elmer would tolerate an inaccurate gun. I did have considerable experience with Lyman's design of his .44 mag bullet (429421). I owned an early 3 screw Ruger .44 mag that I shot silhouette with and a Ransom rest to test my loads in. Elmer's classic load of 22 grs of 2400 with the 429421 was consistently <3"@ 50 yds out of the Ruger. I found that 25/296/429421 was a little better and that is what I shot in matches. Both were 1300+fps out of the Ruger. I would guess the S&W the fellow shot would be a sub 3" 50 yd gun but with the short sight radius it would take a darn good shooter to realize that accuracy level.

Thumbcocker
10-25-2017, 02:42 PM
On a slightly similar topic; Brian Pearce did a 600 yard test with a vintage model 29 and vintage ammo to test EK's mule deer claim. He hit the deer target regularly.

44MAG#1
10-25-2017, 02:55 PM
I don't doubt that Mr.Keith hit that deer at 600 yards at all. But, remember Keith said it was with the then new 44 factory ammo from Remington.

Thumbcocker
10-25-2017, 03:59 PM
Mr. Pearce used period factory ammo (Remington IIRC) that had been stored in stable conditions.

Yodogsandman
10-26-2017, 01:26 AM
I used to get so pissed at my Dad, shooting MY 44 Mag at 50 yards he would get 3" groups and I could do no better that 5" or 6". All we had was Remington factory 240gr Sp. I was 17 years old and the Ruger 8 7/8" barreled 44 Mag was my first revolver.

osteodoc08
10-26-2017, 03:41 AM
EK was an accomplished shooter/marksman. I have no doubt he did as claimed. Certainly the 600 yard shot would have been more credible given a laser, but even if 500 yards that's a heck of a shot.

My revolvers with scope and rest with a tuned load are 1 to 1-1/2" at 50 yards given I do my part and there are some with much more God given talent than I have that shoot better with open sights.

I think accuracy has to do with the complete package of gun, ammo and shooter. Any one area that is lacking can change the other outcomes.

Shopdog
10-26-2017, 03:45 AM
I have a cherished 1980 4" 629.Has a crane locking ball and a professionally done action job.Also have an older 429421 Lyman mould.Just never cared for beating the snot out of it with wide open loads?Have other .44's for that.BUT make it a 950 fps unique 429421 load and It's like driving a Ferrari.Only once in awhile shoot it single action(180 g XTP hunting loads)....dbl action though,and it thinks itself a target gun?

So,can't really say but 3" @50 with top CB loads,single action would be realistic.My 180 XTP loads are single ragged holes @25.

LAH
10-26-2017, 10:46 PM
Would it be as capable as the S&W 44's are today or better using the "Keith Load"?

I've never shot an older S&W 44 Mag except a 6 1/2" dash 2 & never shot it enough to learn the gun. I did however shoot a 4" dash 3 for 8 years. My standard load was 20 grains of 2400, a Winchester LP primer & the 429421 Lyman at .430". That gun was well able of the 3" at 50 yards. The hunter class 100 yard ram you could take down every shot if you held the little gun correctly.

Fast forward to this day & the newer sixguns should shoot rings around the older ones because of improvement in machines. I sold my old 4" gun several years ago & have been lusting for another. I've considered a new one just to see if all the changes are as horrible as some claim. The lock & frame mounted firing pin being two. I'm in a relationship with my SA at this point but hear the call of DA when I pillow my head at night.

The only way to answer your question is to purchase a new one & live with it ever how long for you to master it. Then you will know. :grin::wink::-D

Blackwater
10-26-2017, 11:37 PM
This is the kind of trick question that always makes the answer depend on one's opinion of the person in question. But personally, I don't believe ol' Elmer would have been satisfied with anything that wasn't 2" or better at 50 yds. from a rest. Everyone who knew him has remarked with great seriousness Elmer's ability with a handgun, and from any position that might be needed at a moment's notice. Wouldn't surprise me if he regularly did 1.5" or better for 6 shots at 50 yds. The guy had great vision for one thing, and knew his way around a handgun (or other firearms) and all their subtle nuances. He was first and above all, a very PRACTICAL shooter, and a very astute and keen observer of anything he or others did. He was like a sponge, soaking up everything around him. A man can get really good after a lifetime of that, plus some serious study and experimentation. Elmer did all that, and more. Boy! Do I ever more wish I had his eyesight now!!!