PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Smiff 396 Mountain Lite

osteodoc08
10-25-2017, 03:01 AM
There is a 396 Mountain Lite for sale locally. These don't seem to be very common and was hoping to get opinions on the model.

For those that aren't aware, this is an L frame sized aluminum/Scandium framed 5 shot 44 Special revolver with a titanium cylinder that weights in at 19 ounces with a 3" barrel.

Just curious in the rarity of the model. The collectors value. Value as a shooter and any other insight into this model.

knifemaker
10-25-2017, 03:07 AM
Your best bet for value is too check Gunsamerica and Gunbroker web site for what that model is selling for, not what some dealers is asking. As for weight and shooting. That light of a gun will only be pleasant to shoot with factory rated 44 spec. ammo at about 750 fps. Any hotter stuff and you will think you touched off a cannon.

Hickory
10-25-2017, 03:16 AM
This gun is in my opinion one of the finest carry guns that S&W ever produced. The only problem I have had with mine is that it is a very delicate firearm. The aluminum frame is soft and susceptible to wear and tear.
Knowing what I know now, I'd still buy mine again, but, I'd treat it like it was a hummingbird in my pocket.

The frame is aluminium but there is no scandium in it.

Kestrel4k
10-25-2017, 10:32 AM
[...]
The frame is aluminium but there is no scandium in it.
What is the point of posting just to provide the wrong info?
The frames are certainly made of aluminum yes, but the scandium alloying is the whole point.
https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/archive-model-396-night-guard

Hickory
10-25-2017, 01:17 PM
The frames are certainly made of aluminum yes, but the scandium alloying is the whole point.

The original 396 no dash was built without scandium in the frame as the 386, 7 shot 357 magnum revolver did have scandium.
I'm not going to argue beyond this statement on what I know is fact.
The newer Night guard revolvers do have scandium, mine does not.

475AR
10-25-2017, 01:28 PM

The mountain lite and the night guard are different guns. The mountain lite is an aluminum frame gun http://www.genitron.com/Handgun/Smith-Wesson/Revolver/396/44-SW-Spl/Variant-1p
While the night guard is a scandium frame gun (which is stronger then aluminum). Both are great guns and make great carry guns in the field.

Kestrel4k
10-25-2017, 04:15 PM
OK I withdraw my earlier post - S&W having two different M396's is a bit confusing.

Hickory
10-25-2017, 04:22 PM

This is my 396.

475AR
10-25-2017, 04:53 PM
OK I withdraw my earlier post - S&W having two different M396's is a bit confusing.

The earlier mountian lite was their first big bore aluminum frame gun, to keep weight down and make sure the cylinder was strong enough they used titanium for the cylinder. I never got one of the ML guns but did get the night guard in 44 spl and 41 mag both are great guns. Keeping up with some of S&W's models is hard enough but when they did make it confusing on the 396.

475AR
10-25-2017, 04:54 PM

This is my 396.

Yep that is the mountain lite the aluminum frame gun with titanium cylinder. :grin:

Tripplebeards
10-26-2017, 07:41 PM
I have a nite guard 44 mag. All black titanium with a barrel half the length as the mountain. I can hit water bottles with it at 30 yards. After about three rounds it tears the skin on my knuckles every time. The pistol is fun to shoot...a couple times...and then your done. It’s a cool gun to whip out but I’d rather have a semi auto 9 mm for ccw. Follow up shots way quicker and you want to keep shooting it. The last time I checked my discontinued pistol...if you can find one, was around $1250 on gun broker.

Lloyd Smale
10-27-2017, 06:08 AM
had one for a while. It was a great gun to stick in my jacket pocket while bow hunting ect. It was absolutely brutal to shoot with kieth level 44 spec loads though. Even 8 grains of unique and a 250 would open your eyes. Just something about that gun that bit the web of my hand and made me bleed about every time I took it out. It also seemed a bit less then the standard smith quality. I used it for years though and one day walked into a gunshop and found a 696 there for about a give away price. I absolutely love it. Still compact and well not as light, light enough. Recoil is MUCH milder and the 396 I have and my buddy had were 3 inch 25 yard guns. this 696 will shoot loads it likes into an inch. Not long after I got the 696 the 396 went down the road and I honestly don't miss it. Personaly id rather shoot my 4 inch bisley 500 linebaugh with full power loads then that smith with keith level loads.

Hickory
10-27-2017, 06:50 AM
Lloyd,
I have to agree with you in everything you say. However, it is a great little carry gun. To me, a perfect carry gun is one you never have to draw and shoot. But, I want one that is reasonable powerful and easy to carry without the extra weight.

Tripplebeards
10-27-2017, 09:36 AM
Lloyd,
I have to agree with you in everything you say. However, it is a great little carry gun. To me, a perfect carry gun is one you never have to draw and shoot. But, I want one that is reasonable powerful and easy to carry without the extra weight.

Most guys that I’ve let shoot mine that have regularly shot big bore handguns can’t hit the broad side if a barn with mine at 25 yards. I’d tell the op to shoot one before buying. These little light cannons take some skill past 15 feet to shoot accurately. It’s a good gun to scare someone with and make some noise but the average shooter is going to have trouble hitting their target at and past 20 yards with it IMOP. It’s a great pistol to shove under a mountain lions or bears chin while it’s chewing on you. I think that’s why you see them for sale time to time...gotta have it! Shot it, can’t hit anything with it, hurt my hand from extreme recoil, and sold it.

I will eventually sell mine when it approaches close to my Andacondas ridiculous seen prices to get a another practical hunting revolver some day. Until then I’ll keep busting my knuckles and cans with it.

If you buy it...buys some gloves. You’ll thank me in the long run. I bought mine used. The shop called it the blood gun...because there was blood on it. They teased me that someone offed themselves with it. I think they just tore their knuckles open like I do shooting it every time and didn’t clean it.

osteodoc08
10-27-2017, 11:15 AM
Thanks for all the real life advice and opinions.

shorty500
10-27-2017, 08:01 PM
My 396 mountain lite was like lloyd’s And was around 3 to 3-1/2 at 25yds. Experimented just enough to know that improved with very hard, gas checked slugs that were on the heavier and therefore longer bearing surface side for caliber. Kinda defeated the purpose of the gun as well as raising cost per cost and wear &tear on the gun. In my experience that has been a trend in the ecm barrelettes S&W has used in .44. My m329 has followed same traits. My current 396ng is better and shoots an NEI .430-270SWC extremely well

osteodoc08
10-27-2017, 08:38 PM
I think I'm gonna look at the Smith 69 or maybe GP-100 after discussing in depth with a member here offline with their experiences with the 396. I'd want something more pleasant to shoot and durable.

salvadore
10-28-2017, 09:09 AM
I tried lotsa loads in my 18 oz. Mountain Lite. 180s, 200s at .44 spc. pressures. I can't imagine Keith type loads in the shooter, plus Its probably as brutal to the revolver as it would be to the knuckles. Anyway I settled on a 240gr. wadcutter at around 750fps using trailboss. IMHO this is a cracker Jack carry gun, easy to shoot with the right load. In a social situation the sights are easy to find and a .43 meplat makes a big hole. I'd buy it again without hesitation.

Lloyd Smale
10-29-2017, 06:06 AM
personaly I think id remove the gp from that list and add a 696 if you can find one. To me the smaller size of the 696 and the added weight over a 396 makes it about ideal. Still a lot lighter and smaller then a 69 or gp.
I think I'm gonna look at the Smith 69 or maybe GP-100 after discussing in depth with a member here offline with their experiences with the 396. I'd want something more pleasant to shoot and durable.

6bg6ga
10-29-2017, 06:19 AM

For me half of shooting is being able to actually enjoy shooting. Something lite isn't going to be pleasant to shoot or for that matter accurate. I'll put up with a larger gun simply because I can control it and put it on target and for me that is my only concern. I would rather carry a larger heavier gun but thats just me.

Tripplebeards
10-30-2017, 09:55 PM

Here is my lil knuckle buster...329 nite guard with a2.5" barrel

W.R.Buchanan
10-30-2017, 09:57 PM
All of the S&W L and N frame guns can take the X frame grips. These grips have about 3/8" of padding over the back strap and it works wonders for eliminating the hurt from shooting these guns. I got one for my 696 and it made all the difference in the world.

Any S&W without one is going to hit you in the web of your hand. I learned this with my M29 in the 70's the gun beat me severely but I could still shoot it. With anything below full house loads it was just fine, I could only shoot about 6 full power loads before it hurt me too much and I started flinching.

Pachmayer solved the problem at that time, and I could shoot Magnums all day with no ill effects.

My 696 gets a PC'd Keith boolit over 6.0 gr of W231 which shoots to the sights at 25 yds. and out to about 150 meters. I have to hold about 6" high to get to 200 meters.

People ooh and ah when you hit a Ram at 200M with a 3" revolver!

Surprisingly the Ruger GP/44 came with a padded grip like the X Frame grip.

That X frame grip makes a load of difference as far as shooting comfort !!!

You's guys should try them.

Randy

Tripplebeards
10-30-2017, 10:11 PM
I'll have to find an x frame grip to try

W.R.Buchanan
10-30-2017, 10:59 PM
Try https://www.hogueinc.com/grips/smith-wesson/xzframe

That's where I got mine.

Randy

Tripplebeards
10-31-2017, 10:47 AM
Try https://www.hogueinc.com/grips/smith-wesson/xzframe

That's where I got mine.

Randy

I ordered one up today. Can't find them available on any retailers or eBay....just directly from Hogue. Was trying to find someone with free shipping or a little discount than getting it direct from the horses mouth. I'm cheap...it killed me paying almost double for what they sell everywhere else! Lol,Must not be a high demand grip.

It will be a good grip from what I've read. I just hope it dosent feel bulky for conceal and carry. It will fit in my front pocket with the current grip.