PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a Qualified Gunsmith

Seadiver5
10-25-2017, 02:32 AM
I'm looking for a Qualified Gunsmith who can reliably swap a barrel on my Japanese Carcano. The barrel I have currently is rotted out. I have a replacement barrel but no one in the Seattle area seems to be able to do the job (they can't figure out how to get the old barrel off). I know that the barrel isn't indexed so there will be additional work to do once the new barrel is mounted. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

55fairlane
10-25-2017, 05:51 AM
Mark penrod north Manchester Indiana or Jerry Johnson charabusco Indiana .....both are really good.....but not in the Seattle area

Seadiver5
10-25-2017, 10:27 AM
I'm not specifically looking for a local gunsmith, I'm looking for someone I can send the firearm to that has experience with R&Ring the barrel of it. Thanks

pietro
10-25-2017, 11:03 AM
I have a replacement barrel but no one in the Seattle area seems to be able to do the job (they can't figure out how to get the old barrel off).

FWIW, real gunsmiths (not parts-replacers) know enough to cut off the old barrel at the front of the receiver (ring) and then relieve the pressure on the stub with a bit of lathe work from inside the remaining bit of chamber, in order to remove the stub. :roll:

55fairlane
10-25-2017, 11:46 AM
FWIW, real gunsmiths (not parts-replacers) know enough to cut off the old barrel at the front of the receiver (ring) and then relieve the pressure on the stub with a bit of lathe work from inside the remaining bit of chamber, in order to remove the stub. :roll:

That's how us machinist types also remove stuck things like this

roysha
10-25-2017, 05:18 PM
I'm trying to figure how Rest and Relaxation (R&R) figures into a rebarrel job.:wink:

John Taylor
10-25-2017, 06:45 PM
I'm not to far from you and I believe I can get the barrel off.

woodbutcher
10-25-2017, 09:59 PM
:wink: Hi Roysha.R and R also means remove and replace.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

Seadiver5
10-26-2017, 10:50 AM
I'm not to far from you and I believe I can get the barrel off.

Where are you John and have you ever had a challenge like this before?

John Taylor
10-26-2017, 06:57 PM
Where are you John and have you ever had a challenge like this before?

Took the barrel off a Mosin Nagant yesterday, about the toughest I have ever seen. I'm just outside Puyallup.

Seadiver5
10-27-2017, 12:42 AM
Great: give me some contact information so we can discuss this further.

Seadiver5
10-30-2017, 09:38 PM
What has me baffled is how you found a usable replacement barrel?

Numrich had one in stock and it's in wonderful condition.