PDA

View Full Version : 6.5 Sil RCBS 140 grain in Swede

labop
08-12-2008, 10:52 AM
I got impatient trying to get a Lee mold for my two Swedes so I bought the RCBS mold hoping the diameter would be large enough. Most of my casting experience has been with 30 caliber and smokeless and 40-45 caliber and BPCR. One Swede with a #1 bore (used but good) has an Elite sight. The other has a #0 bore (as new) and scout scope. Casting with two alloys, lino and ww+tin I got some bullets that fit okay. The lino bullets cast with a 0.258 nose and 0.2665 bands. This alloy has worked great in the rifle with the #1 bore. I’m using 14.5 grains 5744 and getting five shot 1 ½-2” groups at 100 yds with a couple going less than 1”. I am seating gas checks with a 0.2685 diameter die. Bullets cast of ww+tin go about 0.001” less diameter. The rifle with nearly a new bore is 0.2565 so I can’t chamber the lino bullet in it. I haven’t been as successful in getting ww+tin bullet to work in rifle with the new bore. With bands at 0.265 they are probably too undersize. Groups are running 2-3”. The lino bullet weighs 235 grains and the ww+tin runs 242. One cavity throws a bullet one grain heavier than the other. My plan is to hone the bands on one of the cavities using the lino bullets and valve polishing compound to 0.268. I have to be careful not to increase the bore riding area or the GC shank as these are already a tight fit. Anyone have any suggestions on how to enlarge the bands and not any other area?

Thanks
Labop

eka
08-14-2008, 10:36 AM
Before you hone the mould, changing it permanently, have you considered Beagling your mould to gain a slight diameter increase.

http://ktsammo.250x.com/castboolits/cst3.html

Just a thought. I would probably try that first. You can always hone the mould if that doesn't provide satisfactory results.

Good luck,

Keith

labop
08-16-2008, 09:16 AM
Thanks Keith I will try the shim.