PDA

View Full Version : Potential Source for Bare Ruger NM BH Frame.

kywoodwrkr
10-24-2017, 05:32 PM
Are there known sites(to others-obviously I don't have a grip on any) which have reasonably priced bare Ruger frames.
Thinking of rebarreling one in non standard caliber-or maybe a popular conversion.
Hate to buy a whole BH just to get frame.
This is a long term day dream so no immediate results necessary-but a little guidance would be good.
Thanks.

DougGuy
10-24-2017, 06:13 PM
Buy a model everyone wants, then part it out. You would have NO trouble selling a 45 ACP cylinder or a 4 5/8" 45 caliber barrel. You also would not have any trouble selling a 7 1/2" 45 caliber barrel because Ruger did not make very many in this barrel length for any of the medium frame guns and they have made tens of thousands of those so someone who wanted a hogleg would buy that.

bluelund79
10-24-2017, 08:59 PM
Wish I had seen this last week, I just traded mine to KY Gun Co. I’ll keep my eyes open for you while I’m traveling for work Sir

kywoodwrkr
11-03-2017, 07:42 PM
Thanks for responses.
Apologize for apparent lack of attention.
Currently working on getting nerves in left hip & leg back in harmony with rest of body.
Getting old, or older, is not all the fun I had anticipated.
Beats the option though.
Doug, can't justify buying only to break up, I'm more into making parts I need etc.
bluelund79, wish I had contacted you earlier, we could probably have worked out a deal.
I'll find one ultimately, so I'll just go ahead and work on needed parts for when I find one.[smilie=1:
Thanks again.

Lloyd Smale
11-04-2017, 07:18 AM
look for the most beat up old ruger you can find. I picked up a super with the bluing about all gone and some surface rust and a broken grip panel for a 150 bucks at the local shop. It sat there for a long time and no one wanted it. gave it to the brother in law and he bead blasted it and sprayed it with duracoat and made a decent looking gun out of it. used to pick up old model 357s for custom projects for 200-250 bucks. Those days are probably long gone now.

kywoodwrkr
11-04-2017, 08:07 AM
look for the most beat up old ruger you can find. used to pick up old model 357s for custom projects for 200-250 bucks. Those days are probably long gone now.

Thank you for responding.
200-250 was my current hopes for one in which probably the frame would be all that could be saved.
Bought a "parts' set, all but frame and cylinder.
Frame I won't tackle, but making my own cylinders is a real good maybe.
Feel I can make my reamers as well if necessary although there are a lot of reasonable renting facilities.
It's amazing how far a little CNC will go. My major problem there is machine availabity.
I digress, thanks again, maybe next spring when I'm up and able to pursue fully.

osteodoc08
11-07-2017, 08:47 AM
Out of curiosity, what is your project? What caliber, barrel type, etc. you never know when someone might run into something.

kywoodwrkr
11-07-2017, 11:11 AM
Right now my plan is to install a 10mm barrel on it.
This will then result in my having to make or come up with 10mm cylinder, 40S&W cylinder and 38-40 cylinder. Have 10mm Green mountain oct pistol barrel.
Have a 38-40 cylinder so I guess I know where the project started.
This project started about three years ago after losing the cylinder to my 30 carbine in a fire and trying to make a replacement..
Started measuring(Coordinate Measuring Machine) every cylinder I could get my hands on.
Made a stand to hold frame vertical for align boring if needed, made a measuring device(s) to get BH(&SS) cylinder dimensions, oh and obtained 4140 round cutoff stock.
Will make my own cylinders and reamers, if time allows.
Had three of the cylinder blanks from Brownells, only one found alive after fire. Keeping it for a basic raw model.
Angle at base of frame and cylinder stop offset measurements were most time consuming so far.
Equipment is not a problem, time on it is. Students come first-can't figure out why though! :-)
That's in a nutshell.
Another detraction is working on shotgun lugs to make barrels on.
I really should have started this right after grade school I think. After retirement is not really a smart move.
Thanks for inquiry.

osteodoc08
11-07-2017, 03:56 PM
Sorry to hear of your loss.

You should nickname this Project Phoenix