PDA

View Full Version : Melter Freeze Up

hhilljr
08-12-2008, 09:11 AM
I've been having problems with my RCBS Pro Melt lately. The other day when I sat down to cast, the lead flowed so slowly that the bullets wouldn't fill out in the mold at all, even with the spout set wide open. I decided to drain the pot, which took over half an hour to accomplish with te flow being so poor. An even then, the pot wouldn't come completely empty.

I read around on this site, and saw that several suggested usinga propane torch on the spout to get things flowing again. Last night, I filled the pot back up and used a torch on the spout. Even with the spout a dark cherry red, the flow was no more than a moderate dribble.

If anyone here has had similar expericences, I would appreciate any advise on how to best fix this problem. Its finally cooled down some to where I can catch up on my casting chores.

Thanks.

cabezaverde
08-12-2008, 09:40 AM
The spout is plugged with crud. Bend a paper clip or use a 90 degree dental pick and run it up the hole with the lever up. Be carefull doing this.

LAcaster
08-12-2008, 04:14 PM
When mine does this I gently hand turn small drill bits into the hole to clean it usually full of rust, and lead oxides be careful not to damage the seat

testhop
08-13-2008, 04:27 PM
i have used a tooth pick in long nose to clean out the spoutup from the bottom

hhilljr
08-14-2008, 09:31 AM
Thanks for the tips everyone. I hope I can get back to the pot to try these out in the next few days.

mold maker
08-14-2008, 03:40 PM
Next time the pot is empty, cool and do a good cleaning job. Most likely there is quite a bit more crud in the bottom just waiting to cause you more grief. I empty at the end of every other casting session, to do this. I got really tired of problems during pouring.

largecaliberman
08-18-2008, 04:57 PM
In addition to what mold maker said, I have one of those tip cleaners, like the ones welders use to clean their acetelyne torches. Home Depot sells it cheap.

legend
08-18-2008, 06:25 PM
i use stainless steel wire.

docone31
08-18-2008, 06:34 PM
Paper clips do real well. I use insulated tweezers to hold the clip.
After cleaning the spout, I use a long thin screw driver blade to scrape the inside of the pot. I have found, crud, and bits of rust, seem to gather around the nozzle, and shaft, corners of the pot, and on the walls. I stir and allow the bits to float up and ladle off. I stir again, and flux with beeswax.
I consider this a common maintenance thing. I keep the screwdriver for just stirring the pot.
I also do not melt scrap in my pot. I use another pot for that.