PDA

View Full Version : Great now I'm talking to lead too

marek313
10-24-2017, 10:46 AM
I think I'm losing it .Well maybe, maybe not, you decide. Last few times at my local recycling place going through the lead bin I found my self talking to lead ingots. Yep its official I'm a lost cause i know but when I see Lee, RCBS, Saeco ingots covered with WWs and dirty pipe I feel like I found a lost puppy. I feel like i owe it to the lead and the owner to finish what they started and make that lead fly. I cant think of any good reason that anyone of us would recycle any of our smelted clean lead. Sell it, trade it and maybe even give some away for a good cause sure but once we put that work in smelting it and cleaning it up we dont want to see it go to recycling place. At least I dont so I always feel like something bad forced this lead to the recycling place. Maybe I shouldnt be so negative but ....
Last trip I found some Saeco and even muffin type marked W (should be WW really) that came home with me. I test it but its always clean good alloy so I will continue to save these lost puppies as i find them
"There you are. You got lost didnt you? Thats ok I'm gonna take you home with me and I'll make you look nice and shiny again"
:cbpour::castmine::guntootsmiley:

jdfoxinc
10-24-2017, 10:51 AM
Certifiable.

keyhole
10-24-2017, 11:09 AM
That's OK. I talk to my neigbor's cows, which congregate along the fenceline near our house.
As far as bringing home lead like you do, I think you are rescuing that poor lead which does not have a good home. It is much like giving a homeless dog or cat a nice safe home. You are making that poor lead respectable again and ready for its intended purpose.
Good job!

Rcmaveric
10-24-2017, 11:49 AM
Nice find and save. Youre not crazy.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

runfiverun
10-24-2017, 01:20 PM
what if that W was an M.

Grmps
10-24-2017, 01:28 PM
As long as you don't think they are talking back you are fine.
Wish I had a recycler like that around here.

marek313
10-24-2017, 02:12 PM
what if that W was an M.

Those appeared to be around 12BHN like WWs would be thats why i say it was a W but I cant even think of a reason to mark anything M can you?

keyhole
10-24-2017, 02:53 PM
Those appeared to be around 12BHN like WWs would be thats why i say it was a W but I cant even think of a reason to mark anything M can you?
----------------
Monotype? but not at 12BHN probably

MaryB
10-24-2017, 09:55 PM
I use MT on monotype...

I talk tot he neighbors horses, but I also spoil them with carrots, apples, and a spent brewers grain(100% barley) horse treat I make up. Good they know me because they have gotten loose twice in the middle of the night and knowing I usually have a treat they will come to me. I have tied them in my backyard several times while the neighbor was gone for the weekend. I don't have access to the electric fence controller and I am NOT opening that fence hot!

Bzcraig
10-24-2017, 11:31 PM
what if that W was an M.

Roflmao

mold maker
10-25-2017, 08:50 AM
M for magnum alloy, but again not at 12BHN. Well maybe if PCd.

Bloodman14
10-25-2017, 05:10 PM
Don't feel bad, I talk to wheelweights that I find-"Oh, there you are! Come home with me and we will see if I can't get you boolits out of that nasty ol' wheelweight!". Yep, I am officially nuts.

10 ga
10-25-2017, 05:36 PM
I don't talk to the lead, then again I hear it calling out to me. Sometimes it's yelling and other times it's just pleading in a soft whisper. I try to accommodate it the best I can. 10

RogerDat
10-25-2017, 06:08 PM
Well you probably are nuts, after exposure to all those "bad" things like lead or smokeless powder. But I'm really, really hoping that talking to the lead isn't a symptom. Never mind why. I have my reasons.

I too have found stuff clearly from fellow casters from time to time. In one case the workers told me the guy that brought it in was elderly and with his son. Told them his eyesight had been bad for awhile so he did his work with a lighted magnifier but even that wasn't enough for him to reload safely anymore so he was getting rid of his lead. To my way of thinking it shows real character to do what you enjoy as long as you can but also know when you can't do it safely anymore.

I always worry that it is stolen, you hear stories here about people getting lead stolen but the yard is pretty solid about asking for ID and has video camera recording so I generally think it is a shed or garage clean out after the caster has passed away or when no longer actively casting anymore. I have reminded spouse and kids that if I'm dead and you are trying to figure out what to do with lead come here to the forum, sell it to other casters in our area a couple of whom were kind enough to agree to my request that they assist my wife with the casting stuff if things went sideways during a recent surgery. I feel lucky and blessed to know people I can trust like that.

Just don't take it back to the scrap yard I probably scrounged it from in the first place. The scrap yard will pay you a lot less and much of my lead is premium casting alloy so I really don't want it made into battery terminals or something. Heck hit the local gun range and post it for sale there. Just don't take years of persistent scrounging and waste it. I think I'm a good bit past 3k lbs. so it might take a bit of work but someone will be thrilled to get it. Or as OP said, make sure it gets put to the use intended by me.

slim1836
10-25-2017, 06:46 PM
Could have been a sigma symbol.:grin:

Slim