PDA

View Full Version : Is this mold serviceable

Gunners Mate
10-24-2017, 12:22 AM
I have an old Ideal 429421 HP. It has a little bit of lead flashing, can this be cleaned up with soap water or what would be the correct method to clean this up, I was thinking about heating it up with a propane torch and dabbing lead out with toothpick. I do not want to damage it by cleaning it, seems this is a quite common thing to for newbies to do to an old mold 206505206506206507

Dusty Bannister
10-24-2017, 12:39 AM
Might take a look at a current thread.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?346086-Can-this-mold-be-recovered

runfiverun
10-24-2017, 02:13 AM
oh yeah that is easily dealt with, the thread Dusty linked to should have some good ideas.
I would just heat the mold up and wipe it down with a rag that should get most of it off, then pick the rest off with a sharp stick.

Gunners Mate
10-24-2017, 08:38 AM
thanks

longbow
10-24-2017, 07:39 PM
Yup! What R5R said. I've cleaned up a few iron moulds by heating just until the lead is soft (you don;t want to overheat the blocks) then wipe with a paper towel or rag.

For vent lines use a wooden toothpick to run across the lines and move out the soft lead.

I'd give the cavity a wipe too and again a toothpick, bamboo skewer or some other wood splinter can be used to get in corners but just casting a reasonable temperatures should remove the lead in the cavity.

Looks like someone was casting very hot.

Longbow

Gunners Mate
10-24-2017, 10:07 PM
Yep some molds and casting equip I got from uncle when he passed away a few years ago, been stored on top of the cabinets in my garage for a long time and I got the bug to start casting, I know one of the molds was Elmer Keiths' my uncle got it from him at a NRA convention years ago and I think its this one or H&G 503. Not sure which one interesting history but now that my uncle is gone I will never know which mold it was.