PDA

View Full Version : Random thought

wonderwolf
08-12-2008, 12:41 AM
I'm looking really hard into getting a 22Lr jacket maker-swage into .223 boolit set up. I've been wanting one for a good long while but would also like to get a .243/6mm swage set up. My thought is it feasible to just get the 6mm/243 swage set up and swage them down to .223 afterwards or would the core/jackets separate/ ogive be all messed up Etc? Thanks for your help. i'm saving my pennies for a lot of things these days just want to get the most bang for my buck.

Buckshot
08-12-2008, 01:20 AM
..............If you swage a jacketed .243" down to .223" you'll cause quite a bit of the core to extrude out of the jacket. If done in a normal closed die the lead will be a problem. If you were going to do that, my suggestion would be to squeeze the .24's down through a few push through dies. At each one you'd need to clip off the extruded core.

Finally you'd have to re-swage the reduced bullet in a closed die to upset the core back into contact with the jacket. And if you did this you'd already HAVE a 223 swage so you wouldn't have to size down the .24's, would you unless you had something else in mind I'm not aware of. A possible issue may be work hardening of the jacket? Maybe, maybe not and maybe it might not be a bad idea as the jacket could be of some utility if frangible?

..............Buckshot

Caveape
08-13-2008, 01:18 PM
WonderWolf,
You could also, "bump" up a .224 in a .243 0give die. That way you wouldn't have the problem of jacket separation and core extrusion. You would have to start with an extra-heavy .224 bullet to get an acceptable weight for the diameter you bumped it up to.

It would be thriftier to do it this way. However, if I got a .243 ogive die, I'd probably go ahead and get the entire set just for the versatility.

Some time in the past, a fellow Cast Boolits member (don't remember who) wrote of using 22 RF jackets to make up some 25 cal. projectiles. It was a thin jacket, but it worked. You might try searching some of the past threads for that one.

Caveape