PDA

View Full Version : Looking for help are there any molds for casting .22 for a pellet rifle?

tayous1
10-23-2017, 11:26 AM
Just as the title says I'm looking to see if anyone makes molds to cast .22 pellets. I know you can buy pellets made cheap but I enjoy casting and the closest store that has them is 77 miles away and I like the ability to know that I can make pellets anytime I need them! Thanks.

country gent
10-23-2017, 11:53 AM
On .22 cal pellets you might look into a swaging set up rather than casting. a core mould could be made to cast pure lead cores to swage into the pellet this would give the hollow head and proper weight easily. On a wasp waist desighn casting would leave the head solid and might increase weight. A simple swage set up would swage a hollow based pellet with straight sides and a round or flat nose, Similar to the older shoutgun slugs or Minnie balls. In soft lead and this size a reloading press should do the job easily.

MaLar
10-23-2017, 12:17 PM
Try NOE their molds are top notch.
http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/index.php?cPath=374_375&osCsid=te8hi6r3ip0b9s8p2j5f8a5617

GhostHawk
10-23-2017, 09:48 PM
I have a sharpshooter mold in .22 caliber buckshot. Shoots very very well in my Hatsan 135 Vortex air rifle.

Tighter group than the pellets I buy. Crossman Premier Hollow Points.
But I can't see the point of paying a nickle or more per pellet when I can cast my own.

melloairman
10-23-2017, 10:13 PM
On .22 cal pellets you might look into a swaging set up rather than casting. a core mould could be made to cast pure lead cores to swage into the pellet this would give the hollow head and proper weight easily. On a wasp waist desighn casting would leave the head solid and might increase weight. A simple swage set up would swage a hollow based pellet with straight sides and a round or flat nose, Similar to the older shoutgun slugs or Minnie balls. In soft lead and this size a reloading press should do the job easily.
I waited over a year for Corbin to make me a die . Ended up selling all my swag equipment . A issue I had with a 25 cal die and the pure lead was . With most of the barrels being choked the barrel was leading up after a few shoots right were the choke started . Tried to alloy the lead and by the time I got it to about 8 bhn and the leading was stopped the die started to leak and showed signs of ware . Corbin states pure lead only or the die will more than likely be damaged . FPS was around 850 with this problem . Started to cast at this point and forgot about .22 caliber rifles . There is a Noe mold and could be more than one . I believe it is a Bob boat tail . But the barrel twist rate needed to have accuracy is more than most air rifles have from what I have heard .GL.Marvin

tayous1
10-24-2017, 02:20 PM
I have a sharpshooter mold in .22 caliber buckshot. Shoots very very well in my Hatsan 135 Vortex air rifle.

Tighter group than the pellets I buy. Crossman Premier Hollow Points.
But I can't see the point of paying a nickle or more per pellet when I can cast my own.
So where did you pick up this mold?

John Boy
10-24-2017, 05:28 PM
What .22 weight do you want to shoot in your air rifle? Also pellets or conicals?

melloairman
10-24-2017, 10:03 PM
So where did you pick up this mold?

I thought I would answer your question sense he my not see your question . Sharp shooters buck shoot molds . But their sit is down for repair . Here is their email .Marvin
sharpshootermolds@gmail.com

tayous1
10-24-2017, 10:27 PM
I'm not sure yet I'm looking at this air rifle to be something that can take game.

GhostHawk
10-25-2017, 08:34 AM
I have yet to shoot anything but paper with mine. My Hatsan 135 QE Vortex has the power to take game cleanly. The round balls have to be "seated" I tap them in with the plastic handle of a screwdriver. Apparently the big turkish girl likes them tight.

I bought my sharpshooter molds from sharpshooter when he was in business.

It is my understanding that he is an elderly gentlemen, who designed the molds. And had a younger guy actually doing much of the work. That younger guy found a better job elsewhere apparently. Putting sharpshooter molds on hold.

They can sometimes be found on ebay.

Patience and due diligence are what it will take to find one.
Currently 2 for sale on ebay that I found. A #3 buck and a .690 5 cavity.

ps mine is a size F

PPS Not quite the same but PA does sell gamo round balls for air rifles.