PDA

View Full Version : Ear Protection

PbHurler
10-23-2017, 10:54 AM
Do any of you use the type of electronic ear plugs while hunting? The type that allows normal (or enhanced) hearing but they will "clamp down" the gun's report to safe levels.

I usually double up when testing, plinking, target shooting etc.. with muffs over in ear plugs.

I'm thinking about protecting my hearing in a hunting situation; allowing me to hear the rustling of leaves yet, attenuation of the shot.

Additionally, does anyone use the type that the electronics are located behind the ear and if so do you think earpieces from glasses become troublesome?

I'm kind of more interested in the non-behind the ear type actually.

Any experiences (good or bad) with these types of hearing protection? I'd like to have your opinions.

TIA

Omega
10-23-2017, 11:14 AM
I have two that have proven quite good at enhancement, the Howard Leight and the Peltors, both only run about $50ish. The Peltors are more sensitive and will cut out more often to things like a clap or even a finger snap, so are better for the range. The Howard Leight's seem to be better at enhancing sound, but will cut out when you fire, so are better for hunting. They are both relatively comfortable but I added the gel earcups to the Peltors because I had them already. The other thing I like about the Howard Leights is that you can connect your cell phone, with a wire, so you can still hear emergency calls but be silent.

Howard Leigh
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001T7QJ9O/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I36O212I22LDSW&colid=4UL4HKDSR4WU

Peltors:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000X6I5I/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I1H9L8YC3KBV6Q&colid=1MCNAZIN1CFNT

Buzz64
10-23-2017, 11:26 AM
In the ear molded to fit you, E.S.P. Have had a pair for over 4 years and they are perfect for hunting or range use. They are pricey but I skipped a few shoots to makeup for the cost. Have to remember that these are a 'life time' investment and the convenience is worth it to me. Especially with shotguns - don't hit the muffs on the shouldering of the stock. On a sporting clays course you are protected and can carry on normal conversations without having to take them out and put them back in between stations.
http://www.espamerica.com/elite-classic

fecmech
10-23-2017, 02:06 PM
I have the Peltor sport range guard that I use every weekend to shoot sporting clays. They do a great job attenuating the shot and because I'm hard of hearing enable me to hear conversations going on.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UAM0MFG/ref

lefty o
10-23-2017, 03:54 PM
i have peltors, tried them hunting once. was very annoying in a slight breeze listening to the tree creak and groan.

bangerjim
10-24-2017, 05:34 PM
As a professional engineer, I have been in and around power plants and very noisy environments for decades. Always wore foam ear plugs. I still have "20/20" hearing!

When shooting, I wear ONLY excellent fit quality muffs. If high pro quality they will provde excellent protection. I have never seen the need for plugs and muffs at the same time.

I am looking into the electronics suppression muffs in the near future but have not decided on which brand.

Bottom line.......protect your hearing at ALL times, not just while shooting! I have a buddy that went deaf riding doon buggies and off-road motorcycles!

HABCAN
10-24-2017, 08:28 PM
Howard Leights from amazon, all the way. Great price/value. Highly recommended for anything you might need them for.

tazman
10-25-2017, 01:05 PM
I have tinnitus. When I shoot either center fire rifle or handgun, I wear both plugs and muffs. If I don't, my tinnitus is aggravated for a couple of days.
When I was young, I took a handgun out for a tryout and didn't know I would need hearing protection. My hearing has been poor ever since.

Artful
10-25-2017, 11:35 PM
When looking at hearing protection - check out the Passive Noise Reduction Rating number - the Howard Leight max foam plugs (new not reused) give 33 NRR

The ESP Elite Classic gives +/- 25 dB Passive Noise Reduction Rating

Howard Leight by Honeywell Impact Pro Sound Amplification Electronic Shooting Earmuff gives 30 NRR protection but amplify range commands and other ambient sounds to a safe 82 dB, providing more natural listening and enhanced communication and, actively listens and automatically shuts off amplification when ambient sound reaches 82 dB

If you have a Cabela's they sell several in the ear for you to chose from. But you might just check with costco, sam's club or local audiologist for recommendations.

I have found the custom fit to be more comfortable overall.

Lloyd Smale
10-26-2017, 07:00 AM
What!!!!

Wayne Smith
10-26-2017, 01:49 PM
Do we have to type in caps for you, lloyd??

jeepyj
10-26-2017, 08:05 PM
Another fellow for the Howard Leigh Impacts. I target shoot every week and overall a very nice set of muffs.

Budzilla 19
10-26-2017, 09:42 PM
Because of severe tinnitus from an explosion in the early seventies,( literally in my face, it blinded me also in my left eye) I wear the foam ear plugs and also a set of Air Force surplus " jet muffs" , .45 acp is a dull thump on an indoor range, .22 is silent. I'm with ya, Banger, use those ear plugs early on in your shooting career and your hearing won't go away! Because, once it's gone, no bringing it back!