PDA

View Full Version : Old Remmy Sluggers

dhom
10-23-2017, 06:31 AM
I am loading 45 Colt [Ruger Only] loads to try and match the whitetail killing ability of the old REM SLUGGERS. I am using a GC 315gr WFN cast at 20:1. the load is 13 gr HS-6 and a Fed Mag primer. These loads are shot from a RBH 5 1/2" and 7 1/2' barrels. These loads shoot cloverleafs at 25 yds from both revolvers. I chrono'd the 5 1/2" barrel at 1050 fps. I believe I will get expansion and have enough bullet weight to carry it through a whitetail. I would like to get some opinions from folks who have shot with similar conditions? good or bad

JBinMN
10-23-2017, 12:54 PM
I have used the sluggers in the past to take Wtails in 12ga. & they worked fine, so if you can get your pistol to shoot something reasonably close to the same data,( and you are with what data ya supplied.) I don't see why they would not work. I do not have your pistols, nor have I fired the same boolits, but I am going to try to help out if I can anyway, for the sake of trying.
;)

If not, well, You can ignore my post.
LOL
:)

I think you should be close & do fine with what ya have already, but if you are not limited by any restrictions or loss of accuracy, you might try speeding up your load just a bit to match closer to the Sluggers data.

Here is a chart with ballistics of the Slugger from the website:
https://images.remington-catalog.com/573cd24177416

437.5 being gr. in an ounce, & your bullet at 315gr is approx. the same +/- as the data for the 16ga slugger (SP16RS) at 4/5oz weight in the table. With a difference being that the Slugger is traveling at 1175fps @ 50yds., according to the chart, where yours is, (using your offered velocity data) 1050fps@50 yds. If the little bit longer bbl. in the other pistol has even more velocity with the same load, then you might already be there with that 7-1/2in. one.

I would still think you would be just fine at the speed it(5-1/2) is now, and should certainly be adequate for a Wtail if ya hit it in the "boiler room" area. Certainly a head shot. If it were me, I would likely use what ya have, even if there is no room to up the velocity without sacrificing accuracy.

It is certainly possible that someone here shoots the same setup you describe, but if not...
Hope that my post helped, & G'Luck!

dhom
10-24-2017, 08:05 AM
JB.....I appreciate your input! I haven't chrono'd the 12 gauge slug but I believe they used to be rated 1300fps. [2 3/4"] I am talking about the KMart $0.99 @ box for five. They used to go on sale every year right before hunting season. But, that's not the reason I settled on my set up. I believe the Sluggers were pure lead. [5-6BHN] I am using 10 BHN and hoping I can get significant expansion if I hit broadside or if I hit shoulder I am hoping the bullet will still retain enough weight for penetration. [that's one reason I am using a 315 gr bullet] Moving up the load to get approx. 1300 fps is probably a good idea. I am right on the edge of hunting season here in Pa. so I stopped right there because the load grouped so well in both revolvers. I hope some others will chime in about there experience.

bisleyfan41
10-24-2017, 03:28 PM
You gotta remember the Sluggers have a huge hollow base which helps them flatten out on game (as in it's basically a lead cup flying base first). I doubt you'll get that much expansion from a solid base bullet. Your load will certainly kill deer, but it's no shotgun slug with regards to construction, expansion, or the Sluggers legendary DRT capability.

dhom
10-25-2017, 06:45 AM
You gotta remember the Sluggers have a huge hollow base which helps them flatten out on game (as in it's basically a lead cup flying base first). I doubt you'll get that much expansion from a solid base bullet. Your load will certainly kill deer, but it's no shotgun slug with regards to construction, expansion, or the Sluggers legendary DRT capability. So, basically should I still shoot for the shoulder?

JBinMN
10-25-2017, 07:25 AM
That is where I would shoot. the "boiler room". (heart, lungs, liver). I have shot a lot of deer & that is where I aim & take them. Both firearm & arrow. If you are confident in your shooting ability & your firearm, then of course you could go for a head or neck(CNS) shot also. But the target area is much smaller & thus changes your odds a bit IMO.

BTW, speaking of using an arrow. They do not expand either. Their twisting motion with a broadhead does most of the work. Cutting rather than "punching". They are traveling slower than your loads by about roughly 2/3rds. Your boolit will be causing at least as much damage if you hit the boiler room. If you hit a rib or part of the shoulder, your bullet should either flatten or fragment, depending on your alloy used. Either way, if it hits any bone, they cause damage also.

I think you are getting over concerned, but of course, that is "my" opinion.

Go out & have fun! I think you will do just fine with either pistol. People around here hunt with 44 Rem mag and 240gr. bullets quite a bit & have no issue dropping whitetails. ( I have myself) Your pistols with a 310 should have no trouble either in 45 Colt.

You can go look up the projectile weight, the velocity & distance & use a formula( I think there is one here at CB, but you can google to get the formula) to figure out what momentum force is applied for your setup at impact(Ft/lbs IIRC) & compare it to other setups also. I have heard some folks say that any projectile that travels 100 yds & still goes thru a piece of 3 ply plywood will have the force to kill a man. I reckon that would be the same for a deer, although they are some tough animals. I have no doubt your setup will be just fine for them. Here is just one calculator to try. I punched in your data & it was equal to a 44Rem Mag. w/240gr, , BTW. http://www.handloads.com/calc/quick.asp

G'luck! Bring home some meat for the meat pole.

[P.S. - I go out with my oldest in a week for our deer opener. We are in a Shotgun zone. We can use pistols over .357 or muzzle loaders also, but we are still just going to use shotguns. Using the slug shells I reloaded with Lee 1oz slugs I cast also.. ;) ]

dhom
10-26-2017, 05:56 AM
That is where I would shoot. the "boiler room". (heart, lungs, liver). I have shot a lot of deer & that is where I aim & take them. Both firearm & arrow. If you are confident in your shooting ability & your firearm, then of course you could go for a head or neck(CNS) shot also. But the target area is much smaller & thus changes your odds a bit IMO.

BTW, speaking of using an arrow. They do not expand either. Their twisting motion with a broadhead does most of the work. Cutting rather than "punching". They are traveling slower than your loads by about roughly 2/3rds. Your boolit will be causing at least as much damage if you hit the boiler room. If you hit a rib or part of the shoulder, your bullet should either flatten or fragment, depending on your alloy used. Either way, if it hits any bone, they cause damage also.

I think you are getting over concerned, but of course, that is "my" opinion.

Go out & have fun! I think you will do just fine with either pistol. People around here hunt with 44 Rem mag and 240gr. bullets quite a bit & have no issue dropping whitetails. ( I have myself) Your pistols with a 310 should have no trouble either in 45 Colt.

You can go look up the projectile weight, the velocity & distance & use a formula( I think there is one here at CB, but you can google to get the formula) to figure out what momentum force is applied for your setup at impact(Ft/lbs IIRC) & compare it to other setups also. I have heard some folks say that any projectile that travels 100 yds & still goes thru a piece of 3 ply plywood will have the force to kill a man. I reckon that would be the same for a deer, although they are some tough animals. I have no doubt your setup will be just fine for them. Here is just one calculator to try. I punched in your data & it was equal to a 44Rem Mag. w/240gr, , BTW. http://www.handloads.com/calc/quick.asp

G'luck! Bring home some meat for the meat pole.

[P.S. - I go out with my oldest in a week for our deer opener. We are in a Shotgun zone. We can use pistols over .357 or muzzle loaders also, but we are still just going to use shotguns. Using the slug shells I reloaded with Lee 1oz slugs I cast also.. ;) ] I have shot deer and elk with revolvers but, I have used hardcast WFN [22 BHN usually] and most have been in the 1250-1350fps range. The bullets performed as expected with a 2-2 1/2" wound channel straight through. No problem killing them. I guess I am just trying to get a little more "explosive results". Love revolver hunting as much as bow hunting. Actually they are pretty close.

JBinMN
10-26-2017, 07:33 AM
Well, I guess I was "preaching to the choir" , as they say. In the interest of trying to help.
LOL :)

Well, Like I said, "G'luck!", & please share some pics & tell how things work out, if ya can!

dhom
10-27-2017, 05:56 AM
As I was saying I appreciate all your input. I just thought I should clarify that I do have experience with handguns. Cast Boolits forum, I thought I would get a lot of responses from people using "lead" that would relate their experience with this type of loading. Maybe even some pictures. I have been loading and shooting cast since the 70's but, there is always more to learn. Semper Fi

JBinMN
10-27-2017, 09:06 AM
Semper Fi!

:drinks:

Drm50
10-27-2017, 09:59 AM
I have killed a lot of deer with Rem 12 sluggers. Hopefully never have to shoot another one since
Ohio got rifles now. For my 45 Colt, a M25 S&W I use same 20:1 mix and 250gr RNFP. I'm had
good results on deer and this is only a 820fps load. I only shoot deer at 50yds Max with handgun.
I really don't think you can duplicate a 12g slug with a 45 Colt but you can kill them just as dead
with no problem.

dhom
10-28-2017, 06:39 AM
I have killed a lot of deer with Rem 12 sluggers. Hopefully never have to shoot another one since
Ohio got rifles now. For my 45 Colt, a M25 S&W I use same 20:1 mix and 250gr RNFP. I'm had
good results on deer and this is only a 820fps load. I only shoot deer at 50yds Max with handgun.
I really don't think you can duplicate a 12g slug with a 45 Colt but you can kill them just as dead
with no problem.

I am guessing you are getting some expansion with that load? Does the bullet exit? Do you see noticeable impact on the shot?