PDA

View Full Version : 50th anniversary 44

Heavy lead
08-11-2008, 09:41 PM
Anyone fit a Bisley grip frame to one yet. I've got one I haven't fired yet, I'm thinking I don't want to at least with full power loads. I know these are different than the Non-Flatops in that it has the lock in the grip. Just wondering if this would work.

targetshootr
08-11-2008, 11:03 PM
It'll work but you have to take off those two things on the Bisley grip frame that stick out where it meets the back of the frame. And then mate any offset areas. Bowen has pics of some he's done on his website.

Heavy lead
08-14-2008, 10:44 AM
That's what I had to do to make it work on the BFR too. I might give it a try. I'm just a sucker for the bisley grip.

targetshootr
08-14-2008, 01:45 PM
I'd like to buy a 475 BFR if I could install a Bisley grip frame on it but it sounds more involved than I could handle myself.

lathesmith
08-14-2008, 03:21 PM
I'm kinda partial to the Bisley grip myself. I picked up a SBH Hunter, and got the 44 mag Bisley version. Some folks call it "ugly", but my hand notices a big difference when using stout loads. I ain't saying heavy loads don't hurt at all, but they hurt a lot less. I have converted a BH grip to Bisley, and the Bisley also uses a different hammer and trigger. Something to keep in mind.
lathesmith

Swagerman
08-14-2008, 03:31 PM
Here's a conversion kit to change a BH to a Bisley. I think MidwayUSA has them, as well as Brownnell.

Jim

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e321/44and45/078000001Bisleyconversionkit.jpg

Heavy lead
08-14-2008, 03:35 PM
I'd like to buy a 475 BFR if I could install a Bisley grip frame on it but it sounds more involved than I could handle myself.

I'm no machinest, I didn't think it was too difficult. I regularly do some light gunsmithing though and have to be honest ruined some stuff along the way learning. The only real glitch to putting the grip on is the BFR does not have a matching taper with the trigger guard of the Ruger Bisley frame. I just rounded the corners a might. But I'll tell you what, the recoil is much much more controllable and almost pleasant, and my "plinking load" is downright pleasant.

targetshootr
08-14-2008, 03:46 PM
Is your BFR one of the early ones or a JT series? and does it matter when it comes to the Bisley gf.

Heavy lead
08-14-2008, 09:32 PM
I don't know, I'll take it out of the safe tomorrow night and look. It's 4 or 5 years old now, so I just don't know. Does the JT series have any reference in the serial number?

targetshootr
08-14-2008, 09:42 PM
I think the serial numbers start with JT now.

Heavy lead
08-14-2008, 09:45 PM
I'm kinda partial to the Bisley grip myself. I picked up a SBH Hunter, and got the 44 mag Bisley version. Some folks call it "ugly", but my hand notices a big difference when using stout loads. I ain't saying heavy loads don't hurt at all, but they hurt a lot less. I have converted a BH grip to Bisley, and the Bisley also uses a different hammer and trigger. Something to keep in mind.
lathesmith

I bought the Hunter before Ruger started to put Bisley grips on it. Shouldv'e waited. I let one go in 45 colt I should have bought with the Bisley grip on it.
Rats. It maybe ugly, but it's a good grip.

Muskwa
12-03-2008, 06:12 PM
I am planning to buy a BFR in 475 in the new year. I've shot heavily loaded 44s for many years but now I'd like to try a 475. How is the factory grip on the BFR - anything you can do to improve it to manage recoil?

Those of you that have tried to put a Bisley grip frame on a BFR - how well does it fit? Please describe the work involved.
Thanks,

Muskwa

Heavy lead
12-03-2008, 10:08 PM
I am planning to buy a BFR in 475 in the new year. I've shot heavily loaded 44s for many years but now I'd like to try a 475. How is the factory grip on the BFR - anything you can do to improve it to manage recoil?

Those of you that have tried to put a Bisley grip frame on a BFR - how well does it fit? Please describe the work involved.
Thanks,

Muskwa

First off, you will like the BFR in 475, I like it a lot. I don't care for the grip however, it is basically a super black hawk grip more or less in shape and they come with (I think) Uncle Mikes boot grips. Before I fit the new Bisley frame on mine I used a Hogue wood finger groove gripe for a SBH, it was not a perfect fit, but worked and controlled recoil ok. I would imagine a Hogue rubber grip for a SBH would work too. Another fellow (44man) shoots one of these too, and is much more of an expert than I, I've learned a lot from his posts, might want to look him up. Also my BFR is the JT model and the Bisley grip bolted right up with some outside fitting.

EDK
12-04-2008, 04:07 AM
I resisted BISLEYS for a long time after they came out...then I finally got a blue 7.5 inch . It went to Jim Stroh (ALPHA PRECISION) for one of his superlative trigger jobs and the barrel cut to 5.5 inches. He later converted TWO 5.5 inch 44 SUPERS to BISLEYS with the BROWNELLS kits.

Since I got interested in Original Size VAQUEROS, I bought 5.5 inch BISLEY VAQUEROS in 357 and 44. I now have more BISLEYS than anything else.

Go over to either rugerforum.com or .net and look around. There are some threads about BISLEY conversions (and other grip frames) for the 50th Anniversary guns.

:cbpour::redneck::Fire:

gunsbrad
12-04-2008, 08:38 AM
I have been contemplating doing the same thing to my 50th 44. I cannot seem to find them anywhere. Even ruger says out of stock. I guess I'll just have to wait my turn.

Brad

EDK
12-06-2008, 04:49 PM
I have been contemplating doing the same thing to my 50th 44. I cannot seem to find them anywhere. Even ruger says out of stock. I guess I'll just have to wait my turn.

Brad

You have to be persistent...I call RUGER on the week I'm on 4-to-12 shift. You might ask about when they will be doing a production run of BISLEYS and call a week/month later. You can sometimes get information from the telephone girls in Newport NH if you ask. I was told they pull the parts out for the run and then return the left over items to the parts warehouse. I blundered into a BISLEY grip frame that way...they had just returned 60+ to stock! after making BISLEY HUNTERS.

You kinda need to look at the BISLEY parts in context of MR3-DB (brass DRAGOON) grip frames from the early 70s. They were $40 then and you will pay around $300 now...if you can find them. If they have them, buy more if you can afford to. LOL! Who has extra $100 bills laying around now!

:cbpour::redneck::Fire: