PDA

View Full Version : What Pistol Brass is Best?

gene10pntr
10-22-2017, 06:11 PM
I've got all kinds of range brass with different head stamps and lengths to use,but was wanting to get some new brass to work on accuracy. What brand would be a good one to buy. I know for rifle I use Lapua and wondered if this would be my best choice? It will be for 9mm if that makes a difference in choices. At least with all new,every thing would be or should be the same.

Greg S
10-22-2017, 06:18 PM
I prefer Starline, perticularly in 45 ACP.

Nueces
10-22-2017, 06:55 PM
Starline is now made by the same family that started the business. Consistently high quality.

dragon813gt
10-22-2017, 06:57 PM
If I'm buying it's Starline. Even though I have buckets full of 9mm brass I'm considering buying 5k from Starline to load up the HAPs I bought.

Tom W.
10-22-2017, 07:22 PM
Same here......I believe all of my 45 Colt brass is Starline.

John Boy
10-22-2017, 07:42 PM
Starline ...if you don't want to order large quanties from their website, go to Track of the Wolf that sells Starline's in smaller quantities

Moonie
10-22-2017, 07:52 PM
Another vote for Starline, when I am purchasing new pistol brass it is always Starline.

CraigOK
10-22-2017, 08:02 PM
Starline for my revolver

lotech
10-23-2017, 08:58 AM
I've used mostly Remington and Winchester and some Federal for decades. I've also used Starline in three or four chamberings for the last ten years or so. I've had very good service and longevity from all brands.

Jackpine
10-23-2017, 10:20 AM
Maybe things have changed, but I quit buying Starline, because the OAL was the least consistent, compared to other major names. It has been at least ten years, so based on previous posting, maybe things have improved. If you are going for accuracy, you are probably trimming anyway, so not such an issue.

Back when I was doing serious testing for long range pistol accuracy, 200 yards, plus, I found with pistols, as with rifles, that some pistols liked some brass, better than others. I would suggest trying different brands, trimming all, and shooting for comparison in rest or benched with scope, to compare.

mart
10-23-2017, 05:38 PM
Starline for all my revolvers. Very consistent, great quality, good prices and ships fast.

LUCKYDAWG13
10-23-2017, 06:45 PM
Did someone suggest Starline yet

wv109323
10-23-2017, 08:58 PM
I hate to rain on everyone's parade but the brass is not the major factor in pistol accuracy. If I had several brands I would just sort by headstamp and use one brand. Primers,powder, powder charge with the bullet you are going to use is what I would concentrate on.
Also you reloading procedures will affect accuracy as much as anything.

xrayfk05
10-24-2017, 02:50 AM
At most I would sort by head stamp but I would not buy brass for pistol cartridges, at least not for accuracy reasons.
I would use a good bullet and try some different powder charges and maybe different powders (fast, medium or slow, not 2 fast powders for example)

You will find that brass has almost no, if any, influence on accuracy at least as long as you are not shooting at extreme ranges. (25 yards or less)

Dave C.
10-26-2017, 05:37 PM
W-W head stamped Winchester or Star Line. In 45ACP.

Dave C.

RogerDat
10-26-2017, 06:12 PM
The good stuff people leave at the range! Why anyone wouldn't reload 45 colt I don't know but that quart ziplock baggie full of 1x just left behind dumped into the trash is the "best" brass. One of these days I may buy some more new star line, it is nice brass.

17nut
10-26-2017, 09:14 PM
Free!

country gent
10-26-2017, 10:20 PM
I use a lot of starline brass. I also like ww when I can get it. a lot depends on what I'm doing. For my wax bullet 38s I used federal brass cases, these had the primer pockets converted to LP and flash holes opened to .105. (large pocket ensures they wont get loaded with regular 38 loads). Starline is good brass and reasonable in price. I have a lot of mixed brass here I use for plinking and general use.Also some that's on its last legs for use where it may be lost or the one range I shoot on that dosnt allow brass to be picked up.

MI2600
11-27-2017, 11:34 PM
I have not had good luck with Winchester brass reloads for 38-40 revolver and rifle. I know the brass is thin, but these were conservative loads with splits between the base and shoulder. I've never had similar results with other brands.

JimB..
11-27-2017, 11:51 PM
I tend to keep Starline, Win, R-P, Fed, Speer, Blazer, and Hornady when sorting range brass. When buying I get Starline.

Curious that some like W-W, I’ve been scrapping it, maybe I’ll give it a try.

Buzzard II
11-27-2017, 11:52 PM
If I'm buying brass it's Starline. I've been buying it for years and it's priced right and it's good quality.

Bzcraig
11-28-2017, 12:11 AM
Since no one mentioned it.....Starline.

opos
11-28-2017, 09:27 AM
Certainly I don't load the large quantities I see some of the contributors here use but I do load a number of calibers for shooting a couple or three times a month.

I have been picking indoor range brass where allowed and not "sniping" someone's brass and I often buy processed "once fired" brass from a local guy that hits the police ranges in the area....I'm super picky about inspection when I get the brass....I'm never in a hurry about processing and the brass all get's 3 or 4 hard looks as it goes through the steps...I get many loads from this kind of brass (all handgun..I recycle my own once fired rifle brass as I neck size only). I may have been very lucky but just have not had problems nor mishaps...the brass is super cheap and if I just leave it lay after I shoot I'm not out anything. Being a bit disabled it's tough to focus on picking up high priced brass like Starline or other new brass..on a bad day If I let it lay someone will get the use out of it.

I always hang onto my rimmed pistol brass from my revolvers and have bought some Starline but it's no better than other commercial fired brass in my opinion.
Starline is great stuff but my ammo doesn't reflect the need for stepping up that far.

DCM
12-03-2017, 07:36 PM
IMO

Lapua then Starline.

Starline is more affordable and available in Many more calibers than Lapua though.

murf205
12-27-2017, 09:52 PM
I love Starline brass and here is the reason to use all 1 kind. I have a mixed bag of R-P, W-W, Federal, Hornady and who knows what other brand. When I load them and start to seat boolits and crimp, I am constantly making minor adjustments to the seat/crimp die because of the slight difference on case lengths. When you buy 500 Starline cases, or any other brand for that matter, you have all the same length cases to start with and it is easier to keep up with the # of times fired, which is a **** shoot with range brass. Hey, I'm no brass snob though. I'll gladly police up any decent looking range brass that hasn't had a boot squashing it!

472x1B/A
12-27-2017, 10:33 PM
What pistol brass is best for 9 mm? For me it would be the answers in post # 13 and #17.

Mr_Sheesh
12-28-2017, 12:50 AM
Starline is good brass. Lapua too; Nothing much wrong for most shooting with any decent brand, though; In 45ACP I reloaded anything I could snag and never had issues with accuracy, even on the Progressive press I was usually using.

For most "just shooting" or plinking handgun brass, I don't think the brass Mfg. etc. change the accuracy much; Good reloading including consistent sizing and crimping, consistent powder loads, using all the same primers, bullets that are sorta consistent (scrap the bad ones or don't complain about accuracy on those which are only 2/3 filled out LOL), inspecting the loaded rounds for problems, the whole proper reloading procedure being followed, plus you being in good practice, squeezing instead of jerking the trigger, not closing EITHER eye (much less BOTH eyes, LOL) and so on are the things to start with; Once you get to where you know you CAN get better accuracy, THEN would be the time to get all one make/headstamp/lot number brass, if your weapon's also up to the task (If it's a rattletrap old revolver or auto that you've shot to death that's one thing, if it's a Hammerli free pistol or accurized good revolver or auto that's another - THEN upgrade.) First things first :)

I have had a too-long break due to injury so I am restarting, but I know what to do & have been there before, I still need to go pop a lot of caps to get back where I was. Not there now, most likely, but shouldn't take forever :)

murf205
12-28-2017, 09:48 AM
I've got all kinds of range brass with different head stamps and lengths to use,but was wanting to get some new brass to work on accuracy. What brand would be a good one to buy. I know for rifle I use Lapua and wondered if this would be my best choice? It will be for 9mm if that makes a difference in choices. At least with all new,every thing would be or should be the same.

I just wen to the Midsouth Shooters Supply website and they have some great deals on 9mm brass. If you need some, these guys offer reasonable shipping(by today's standards) and fast shipping.

brass410
12-28-2017, 10:27 AM
I like starline but our local range is leased to local leos for training three days a week, sooo free brass trumps all, its mostly Winchester Remington Federal, I don't measure quantity by 5 gal pail anymore, its now by the hundred weight mostly 40cal 9mm 223 308 12 gauge if shipping wasn't such a problem I could furnish a lot of brass to friends. Our club sells a lot for scrap but members have first shot at it if they want.

vzerone
12-28-2017, 03:21 PM
Right now today Starline is great brass. Federal rifle brass is ****, but I have some dynamite Federal pistol/revolver brass in 9mm, 45acp, and 357mag that won't give up the ghost and it's very old inaddition to reloaded many times. My older Winchester brass in pistol/revolver is great stuff too. Can't say the same about Remington.

detox
01-02-2018, 11:25 PM
Winchester 9mm brass is thinner than most and will allow for a fatter diameter cast bullet to be chambered without resistance. Oversize cast works best in the 9mm.

GONRA
01-04-2018, 08:03 PM
GONRA certainly agrees with Starline recommendation.
But to most of you pistol shooters, it really doesn't make any differance!
Most any brass will do!

RogerDat
01-04-2018, 08:42 PM
I have bought brass from a couple of the site vendors and gotten nice brass at a most excellent price. I think Orisolo and Grumpa come to mind, as well as others who are vendors, and at least some from individuals. Seem to recall some large batches of 9mm for sale recently for close to scrap brass prices. I don't know about everyone else but I believe the bit in the new brass sales blurb about having to size to deal with dings and denting. I don't know how you crimp but for revolver roll crimp case length really matters so trimming is standard at least once.

william l evans
01-16-2018, 10:10 AM
Just got a bag of 100 starline brass for my SRH 44mag. case mouths were uneven and ragged. spent the afternoon fixing them.
steps taken, full length resize, debure and uniform flash holes, uniform primer pockets, trim to length, and de-burr mouths.
They look good and ready to load now. This is my standard procedure for new brass, it is time consuming but some steps only take once.
Loading them now will be a breeze.

NoAngel
01-16-2018, 10:27 AM
My 9mm ‘match grade’ loads (for rifle) are all weight matched Winchester brass.
I separate them after depriming and cleaning to 58.0g +/- .5g and I have less than 25% reject, which all get used for handgun loads.
This is all Range pick up. I haven’t found other makers to be that consistent.
Starline may be better but you don’t find a lot of starline brass laying on the ground.

alamogunr
01-16-2018, 12:57 PM
I have quite a bit of 9mm brass. Most was purchased once fired, quite a bit was range pickup following LEO practice/qualification(not me) and a little was my PU after firing factory ammo. I don't sort by headstamp or trim. Haven't had a problem yet. My ammunition may not be real accurate but neither am I. Occasionally, a shot may hit the bullseye by the fluke of me being off in the opposite direction that the ammo is off, but I'm not trying for score just effectiveness.

I buy Starline for .45 Colt, .454 Casull, .475 L and now maybe some rifle cartridges but most of what Starline makes is also available OF and I'm cheap.

toot
01-16-2018, 01:43 PM
Starline ,rock's!!

am44mag
01-16-2018, 04:15 PM
I buy Starline usually unless it's not available or something else is on sale for a really good deal (like 40%-50% off)

Yogi
01-16-2018, 08:38 PM
Ive been sorting by headstamp,then a different grain bullet for each one . Its makes it eazy for keeping things straight . The girlfriend knows to get the federals or the Remingtons or whatnot .keeps it simple .

nun2kute
02-16-2018, 10:15 AM
Free is best in my book. I bought Starline for my 458 cause I never find any on the ground. 10mm is precious, I woop and holler when I find those, but I got enough I don't need to buy ... yet. The only time I sort head stamp is to keep separate loads for my long guns. Pistols can't tell the difference in my hands. But I keep practicing anyway.

trapper9260
02-17-2018, 01:09 PM
I use free or once fired brass. I will get Starline brass of odd ball rounds if they have it.I take what I can get. As for pistol brass if you are at your own home range or where ever you will use it . Some time you will not find all your brass.Wheel gun is different.

Motor
02-17-2018, 05:44 PM
I think a better question would have been:

What pistol brass and in what caliber should I avoid? ;)

Honestly. Unless you are someone shooting thousands of round a year in competition I don't know how you could really tell which is "best"

I've been reloading pistol ammo since day one back in 1985 and I honestly can't say I have a favorite brand let alone one that I'd call best. :)

Motor

vzerone
02-18-2018, 06:53 PM
I've been shooting for a lot of years and a lot of calibers. First let me say the U.S. major brands aren't the same brass cases they were way back. For that matter some of them don't even make their own brass. Okay I've never liked Remington pistol/revolver brass. It's notorousily thin especially in 32 acp and 45 acp and it gives up the ghost fast especially to neck splits. Old Federal pistol/revolver brass was among the best. I have some old Federal 9mm and 45acp that was nickel that I have worn all the nickel off and still using it, not a one lost! Some of their rifle brass was very good, but it went down hill fast. The pistol/revolver stuff still seems pretty decent. Winchester stuff was good both rifle and pistol/revolver, but the rifle brass, in my opinion, had gone done hill. They are one of the companies that have brass made for them. Norma is toted as being at the top, but I think it's soft and I've seen too much of it age harden and split. Lapua is very good brass and very expensive. Starline seems to be pretty decent. They are just expanding into more rifle calibers so time will tell there. JAG is quoted at being at the top. The ones I have are very good. They say that Sig brass is made by them, but I can't vouch for that. PMC used to be very good brass, but they moved out of the U.S. Aguila use to be trash, but they are a whole better company now. Sellier & Bellot is okay. Privda is okay, but they are suppose to have a better line of ammo (which might mean the case too) that we don't often see in the states. RWS, never used it.

....oh and Motor you don't have to shoot 1000's and 1000's of round to know which brass is good and bad. Thin pistol/revolver cases will tell you that in the first reload.

EDG
02-19-2018, 07:23 AM
Cheap and free are the best brands.
If it is cheap you never sweat losing a few or scrapping a few that really need to be junked.

Clark
02-25-2018, 03:15 PM
7.62x25mm Tokarev: S&B is better than Starline for primer pocket max pressure.
38 special, old RP target brass is thin wall and will be the most accurate with LSWC
45acp with feed ramp intrusion, Starline +P is better than Starline 45 Super for avoiding guppie belly case bulges

BigMagShooter
02-25-2018, 10:35 PM
i'd say 44 mag pistol brass is best... :)

Sailormilan2
02-25-2018, 10:58 PM
I have a 38 Super, unsupported chamber. I've fired some stout loads in it, and the only brass that's given me trouble has been Aguila. I've had two case blowouts.
So, I've dumped all my Aguila brass.

Tom W.
03-17-2018, 04:44 PM
Let me add to my first statement.
For the last three or so years I've been shooting handguns at an indoor range. I saw where people are buying factory loads and just leaving the brass everywhere. HMMMMM......once fired brass..... as of today I found that when I take the broom and sweep the floor to place the brass on the wall behind me it causes me to just have to collect it. I now have a 50 cal ammo can that is full of 9mm brass, cleaned, sized and deprimed that I'll probably never use all of them. I refuse to trim the brass, it just isn't worth the time..
My .45 acp supply is close to the same, and I don't even own anything but boolit molds in any .45 caliber...
I think it's an addiction.

Walks
03-17-2018, 05:02 PM
I bought 500 cases from starline in .44WCF about 10yrs ago. Stuff was hard as a rock. too thick to load a .427 bullet in my old 1st gen COLT. Most cases were too long or too short. It didn't expand well enough to seal the chamber when fired with Black Powder in my Uberti 1873 rifle. I now use it only in a Late manufacture WINCHESTER 1892 Carbine. Never had a problem with WINCHESTER or REMINGTON. They are more expensive now, but still work better for me.