PDA

View Full Version : Sharps and Hankins

Lostinidaho
10-21-2017, 09:09 PM
So I was visiting a town in another state. Family wanted to go the mall.

Personally, I don't like going to the mall. Many times I play the good husband/father and go. But this time I decided to find something else to do.

I drove around, got a BBQ sandwich, and then I drove by an antique store. It looked like it had military antiques in the window. So I stopped. They had a little bit of everything.

Well I found a Sharps and Hankins. Of course when I am looking at it, I get a text time to pickup the family. Eeek.

The unusual thing is that its a center fire. Cant see where it was changed from rimfire. The store owner said it was .45 caliber.

What do you guys know about them. Am I crazy for thinking about getting this fine old gun shooting. It was just fit with my .45-70 trapdoor and .50-45 rolling block.

Not much on the internet about them.

It is obvious I have a problem that there is no cure.

Chill Wills
10-21-2017, 10:11 PM
Leather rapped barrel?

Lostinidaho
10-21-2017, 10:27 PM
No leather wrapped barrel (Navy), but no carbine ring (Army).

There is an experimental model that was center fire. But it was smooth bore. This one has a rifled barrel. It shot a brass cartridge with 3 balls about .44 cal.

country gent
10-21-2017, 10:33 PM
The gander mountain here had a Sharps and Hankins used carbine reproduction that was 45-70 caliber.

Lostinidaho
10-21-2017, 11:02 PM
I knew that there are reproduction Sharps and other early black powder cartridges. I was surprised that the Smith carbine with rubber cartridges was being reproduced. I looked to see if the Sharps and Hankins was being reproduced but I couldn't find any mention of it on the internet. But maybe I missed it.

I wondered if it was a parts gun made from S&S firearm parts. The center fire has me stumped.