PDA

View Full Version : Boyd's At-One Stock

dragon813gt
10-21-2017, 04:40 PM
Anyone have one of these yet? I placed an order for one in forrest camo. Bought it for a Ruger American Predator. Like the Ranch rifles it has a stupid low comb designed for irons. But the rifle doesn't have irons on it. A fully adjustable stock for $201 was to good to pass up. It's not going on a target rifle so I didn't want to spend a lot of money on a stock. But I wanted a higher comb. Will post a review once I install it on the rifle. If it works well I will order one for Ranch rifle as well.

texassako
10-21-2017, 08:31 PM
I was looking at one of those, but don't think they offer one for a lefty stagger feed long action Savage. The adjustments would have been handy for this one rifle fits all I am working on. I would be interested in how it works for you.

dragon813gt
10-28-2017, 12:54 PM
It's in transit and is set to arrive Monday. But I will be away for work all week. Was hoping to test the rifle w/ the factory stock first. May or may not have time for this. I do need to go buy some factory rounds to test w/. And WipeOut. If it's anything like the RAR I have there will be heavy copper fouling all the way down the barrel.

Preacher Jim
10-28-2017, 01:15 PM
We were figuring the cost of the the parts to do a stock we have and decided it was cheaper to buy a boyds stock like that. Long list of types of actions they fit.
Dragon post your review when you get your stock, we are interested in your results.

dragon813gt
11-03-2017, 09:28 PM
Package was waiting for me when I got home. Here's some bad cell phone pics.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4448/38119946452_1ece465aa3_o.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4535/37441820524_7accebced4_o.jpg

I've never been a fan of laminated stocks when it comes to aesthetics. This one is no different and find it ugly. But I bought it tailor the rifle fit. Pushed in the button to raise the comb. The adjustable piece didn't want to budge. After way more effort then I thought it would take it finally released. Tried the buttpad next. Used the same amount of force and the piece came flying out, literally. It didn't want to budge at first and then suddenly released. And I ended up literally throwing it across the room. Luckily when installed they're secure.

I may have time to see how well the action fits this weekend. Hopefully I have time.

nicholst55
11-03-2017, 11:10 PM
I agree, that is an ugly stock. Hopefully, it works extremely well for what you intend to use it for. As long as ugly works... You could always paint it!

dragon813gt
11-04-2017, 09:09 AM
It would be nice if they offered these stocks in nonlaminate but they currently don't. Should have gone w/ nutmeg but even that one is ugly as sin. They all are.

http://www.atonegunstocks.com/colors

mcdaniel.mac
11-04-2017, 09:29 AM
I'm sorry I missed this thread, I'd have shown off mine! Ruger 10/22 with TacSol barrel and Vortex Crossfire.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171104/bc5ba371dbea2696bb64f4c8725fe47d.jpg

The plastic/rubber inserts are a bit off on mine, but I bought one of the first. Royal Jacaranda looks great. I have pepper laminate on my Mossberg 20ga, and it's a bit dull. Next time (there will be a next time!) I'm thinking either Blaze or Blackheart if they still offer it

texassako
11-04-2017, 11:58 AM
The Pepper color looks the most subdued of all of them. I think yours could grow on me, but the two sides being different colors is weird looking. I wouldn't mind Sky, and I can't let my daughter find out about the Royal (purple).

dragon813gt
11-04-2017, 12:54 PM
There is a severe lack of pictures in their site. Had I know it was different colors on each side I most likely wouldn't have ordered it. Paint is always an option but not something I'm to keen on. Solid wood options would be nice. I would have gladly paid more for it.

Almost ordered the pepper color. But if you look closely you can see a natural wood color in it. Depending on the cut you could end up w/ a large section being this color. Pictures of actual stocks would be a good thing.

dragon813gt
11-04-2017, 03:44 PM
And I have some work ahead of me.
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4525/24316949578_7ce558e352_o.jpg

That's a single bill and that's all the further back it goes. It was a pain to even get it to this point. Trying to get the action set on the recoil lugs was an exercise in frustration. Next up was sanding both the wood and the magazine catch. The catch wasn't setting far enough forward in the inlet and the bolt wouldn't go through the hole.

Bedding the lugs is completely out because of how I had to place the action in the stock. Only way to get it lined up was to reach up through the magazine well and finagle the rear lug until it set in the action properly. Then had to push the action around until the front hole would line up so the bolt would thread in properly.

I'm tempted to shoot it like this and see how it groups. If it will hold MOA for five shots I may call it good. It's going to be a hunting rifle. Took two hours to get it to this point and I'm hesitant to pull the action back out of the stock. I'm not remotely close to being a gunsmith and quickly remembered that there are certain things I hate doing. Stock work is one of them.

dragon813gt
11-04-2017, 08:41 PM
Made the decision to shoot it and see how it performs. If it doesn't I will ship it out to have it worked on. At that point I may decide to blue or parkerize it. Anything is better than the barbecue paint they currently use.

Weighs in at 9# even. Maybe an ounce less. Was hard to get it stay still on the scale.
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4554/38142934462_88ee502583_o.jpg

55fairlane
11-04-2017, 09:41 PM
I hope the stock works well for you.....if I may suggest........with my boyds stock, I had to bed a washer in under the front take down screw,wood is very soft, I had to bed a washer in under the trigger gaurd because I pulled the screw right thru it at 25 inch pounds.....then I got hatey and machined up an aluminum trigger gaurd for it.....I bedded my blocks in (r uger American in 22-250)

Trick to free floating the barrel......wrap sand paper around a deep well socket or a section of wooden dowl rod .....

Aaron

waco
11-05-2017, 01:44 PM
I was rather happy with my Boyd's stock. Not an "At One" but does have the adjustable cheek piece. This is my Savage 12FV in .223207256

starnbar
11-05-2017, 07:16 PM
Boyds makes a heck of a lot of stocks and they are inletted pretty close to your particular rifle dimensions allowing you to finish them up I have 5 different stocks and they all look and work really good.

dragon813gt
11-05-2017, 09:02 PM
Boyds makes a heck of a lot of stocks and they are inletted pretty close to your particular rifle dimensions allowing you to finish them up I have 5 different stocks and they all look and work really good.

This is my first one and I don't have good things to say about the inletting. Maybe it's because of the Ruger recoil lugs that are needed. But the action gave me nothing but problems w/ getting it set properly in the stock and lined up on the lugs. You can't see the front lug at all so you're working blind.

If the rifle shoots I will consider buying another one. If not I will put the factory stock back on and deal w/ an ugly cheek riser piece. I know they aren't 100% drop in stocks and will take some work.

Texas by God
11-06-2017, 09:45 AM
I agree Boyd's website isn't well thought out. I wish they and other companies would print REAL catalogs with good pictures. Dragon, what caliber is that multicolored machine?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

dragon813gt
11-06-2017, 10:13 AM
It's 308. Plan is to put a Paladin silencer on it. Don't know when I will have the time to take care of all the paperwork. Hopefully I can get it done between Christmas and New Years. Will have the first profit sharing check by then as well :)

It's raining and miserable here. Hopefully I can get it sighted in tomorrow. Have a bunch of other errands to take care of first. If I can get it sighted in I will use it during rifle season. Will only be able to hunt on the weekends but it's better than nothing.

JonB_in_Glencoe
11-06-2017, 05:40 PM
There is a severe lack of pictures in their site. Had I know it was different colors on each side I most likely wouldn't have ordered it. Paint is always an option but not something I'm to keen on. Solid wood options would be nice. I would have gladly paid more for it.

Almost ordered the pepper color. But if you look closely you can see a natural wood color in it. Depending on the cut you could end up w/ a large section being this color. Pictures of actual stocks would be a good thing.
I was real happy with the Pepper, with the $99 closeout/Blem Thumbhole stock that I got from Boyds, for my Axis.

This brown spot, near the trigger, was the only blem I could find on this stock.

Moosegooser
12-24-2017, 10:42 PM
Made the decision to shoot it and see how it performs. If it doesn't I will ship it out to have it worked on. At that point I may decide to blue or parkerize it. Anything is better than the barbecue paint they currently use.

Weighs in at 9# even. Maybe an ounce less. Was hard to get it stay still on the scale.
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4554/38142934462_88ee502583_o.jpg

I don't think your rifle is Ugly at ALL! Gouge out the business areas a bit, and bed it yourself... Its not that hard, and Tons of How to videos on the web.. Devcon 10110 is preferred epoxy,,, but I have two rifles bed with their plastic steel.. they shoot fine.. Make sure youuse a good release agent.. I have gone the cheap rout, used Pam spray, Johnsons floor wax. First stock I did, set me into panic mode a bit, but a little exra persuation, the release agent worked just fine, and exposed a beautifull finished bed for the action.. the Devcon works nice, because it isn't runny, so you can control it a bit.. I like the looks of the gun..

Moosegooser
12-24-2017, 10:46 PM
3 Ruger 77 rifles.. I bed them all myself.. Not that hard. shoot minute of angle.. .223, 7mm-08, ,270 Winchester.. none are pillar bedded.. perfect for hunting gun..

TAC14
12-24-2017, 11:17 PM
Boyds stocks are a bargain. I own/ed 5 and they all worked great to improve an entry level rifle. When my 223 Compass gets back from circumcision and threading, it's getting a ONE stock.

Have a real custom stock made up out of 4X French with good checkering, trap butt, real ebony tip...... it will set you back the cost of 15 ONE stocks or more.

Like these:

Moosegooser
12-25-2017, 12:21 AM
This rifle was given to me. Ruger 77 Varmit heavy 26 inch barrel,,220 Swift.. The guy said it would only shoot a 4 inch group at 100 yrds on a good day. I tried to talk him into working with it some more, but he said he was done with the frustration and if I wanted it, it was mine.

first thing I did was look at bedding.. this is what I found..

I gouged out that old bedding a bit, then drilled some angle anchor holes,opposing angles..

I used JB weld steel epoxy as bed compound... used Johnson floor wax as mold release. waxed everything I didn't want epoxy on.. New bed for action.

re assembled rifle, cleaned barrel really well, it was bad dirty, and it had been shot a LOT throat not in best of shape..

Here is the first 4 shots down the clean bedded action..after a foul shot or two..

Moosegooser
12-25-2017, 12:24 AM
a dremel tool and a very light touch to give just a skim coat of devcon 10110,,and I bet your rifle will sleep well..

otisrush
03-06-2018, 12:16 AM
This is a somewhat old thread - but I thought I'd chime in.

I received a Boyds At-One in walnut (not laminated) a couple of weeks ago. The fit is excellent (Rem 700). A single dollar bill clears all the way to the receiver. This is my second Boyds - the first being a thumbhole varmint that was on this same gun. (I decided to get the At-One because i recently upgraded the scope and mount...which raised the scope.....which made the comb on the thumbhole too low.)

I'm very happy with the walnut. I like it a lot better than the (Nutmeg) color I had on the thumbhole stock.

The issue I'm having now is that the comb won't adjust high enough to get my eye aligned with the scope. As I investigated options I determined that a 3/8" lag bolt engages the locking mechanism in the stock *perfectly*. I also obtained from a local lumber yard a chunk of walnut. I'm now fashioning a piece that will fit into the stock's cutout but will get my cheek higher. I plan on putting the lag bolt in the bottom and cutting off the bolt's head - so I can still have a piece that is adjustable height.

dragon813gt
03-06-2018, 08:58 AM
I like that a lot better. They didn't have the walnut option when I bought mine. I may order it and try to sell my current one.

merlin101
03-07-2018, 01:02 PM
This is a somewhat old thread - but I thought I'd chime in.

I received a Boyds At-One in walnut (not laminated) a couple of weeks ago. The fit is excellent (Rem 700). A single dollar bill clears all the way to the receiver. This is my second Boyds - the first being a thumbhole varmint that was on this same gun. (I decided to get the At-One because i recently upgraded the scope and mount...which raised the scope.....which made the comb on the thumbhole too low.)

I'm very happy with the walnut. I like it a lot better than the (Nutmeg) color I had on the thumbhole stock.

The issue I'm having now is that the comb won't adjust high enough to get my eye aligned with the scope. As I investigated options I determined that a 3/8" lag bolt engages the locking mechanism in the stock *perfectly*. I also obtained from a local lumber yard a chunk of walnut. I'm now fashioning a piece that will fit into the stock's cutout but will get my cheek higher. I plan on putting the lag bolt in the bottom and cutting off the bolt's head - so I can still have a piece that is adjustable height.

Does look MUCH better!