PDA

View Full Version : Lazarus raised from the dead

Boaz
10-20-2017, 08:11 PM
John 11;1-44

Now a certain man was sick, Lazarus of Bethany, the town of Mary and her sister Martha. 2 It was that Mary who anointed the Lord with fragrant oil and wiped His feet with her hair, whose brother Lazarus was sick. 3 Therefore the sisters sent to Him, saying, “Lord, behold, he whom You love is sick.”
4 When Jesus heard that, He said, “This sickness is not unto death, but for the glory of God, that the Son of God may be glorified through it.”
5 Now Jesus loved Martha and her sister and Lazarus. 6 So, when He heard that he was sick, He stayed two more days in the place where He was. 7 Then after this He said to the disciples, “Let us go to Judea again.”
8 The disciples said to Him, “Rabbi, lately the Jews sought to stone You, and are You going there again?”
9 Jesus answered, “Are there not twelve hours in the day? If anyone walks in the day, he does not stumble, because he sees the light of this world. 10 But if one walks in the night, he stumbles, because the light is not in him.” 11 These things He said, and after that He said to them, “Our friend Lazarus sleeps, but I go that I may wake him up.”
12 Then His disciples said, “Lord, if he sleeps he will get well.” 13 However, Jesus spoke of his death, but they thought that He was speaking about taking rest in sleep.
14 Then Jesus said to them plainly, “Lazarus is dead. 15 And I am glad for your sakes that I was not there, that you may believe. Nevertheless let us go to him.”
16 Then Thomas, who is called the Twin, said to his fellow disciples, “Let us also go, that we may die with Him.”
I Am the Resurrection and the Life
17 So when Jesus came, He found that he had already been in the tomb four days. 18 Now Bethany was near Jerusalem, about two miles[a] away. 19 And many of the Jews had joined the women around Martha and Mary, to comfort them concerning their brother.
20 Now Martha, as soon as she heard that Jesus was coming, went and met Him, but Mary was sitting in the house. 21 Now Martha said to Jesus, “Lord, if You had been here, my brother would not have died. 22 But even now I know that whatever You ask of God, God will give You.”
23 Jesus said to her, “Your brother will rise again.”
24 Martha said to Him, “I know that he will rise again in the resurrection at the last day.”
25 Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in Me, though he may die, he shall live. 26 And whoever lives and believes in Me shall never die. Do you believe this?”
27 She said to Him, “Yes, Lord, I believe that You are the Christ, the Son of God, who is to come into the world.”
Jesus and Death, the Last Enemy
28 And when she had said these things, she went her way and secretly called Mary her sister, saying, “The Teacher has come and is calling for you.” 29 As soon as she heard that, she arose quickly and came to Him. 30 Now Jesus had not yet come into the town, but was[b] in the place where Martha met Him. 31 Then the Jews who were with her in the house, and comforting her, when they saw that Mary rose up quickly and went out, followed her, saying, “She is going to the tomb to weep there.”[c]
32 Then, when Mary came where Jesus was, and saw Him, she fell down at His feet, saying to Him, “Lord, if You had been here, my brother would not have died.”
33 Therefore, when Jesus saw her weeping, and the Jews who came with her weeping, He groaned in the spirit and was troubled. 34 And He said, “Where have you laid him?”
They said to Him, “Lord, come and see.”
35 Jesus wept. 36 Then the Jews said, “See how He loved him!”
37 And some of them said, “Could not this Man, who opened the eyes of the blind, also have kept this man from dying?”
Lazarus Raised from the Dead
38 Then Jesus, again groaning in Himself, came to the tomb. It was a cave, and a stone lay against it. 39 Jesus said, “Take away the stone.”
Martha, the sister of him who was dead, said to Him, “Lord, by this time there is a stench, for he has been dead four days.”
40 Jesus said to her, “Did I not say to you that if you would believe you would see the glory of God?” 41 Then they took away the stone from the place where the dead man was lying. And Jesus lifted up His eyes and said, “Father, I thank You that You have heard Me. 42 And I know that You always hear Me, but because of the people who are standing by I said this, that they may believe that You sent Me.” 43 Now when He had said these things, He cried with a loud voice, “Lazarus, come forth!” 44 And he who had died came out bound hand and foot with graveclothes, and his face was wrapped with a cloth. Jesus said to them, “Loose him, and let him go.”

Boaz
10-20-2017, 08:18 PM
In verses 1-3 it is acknowledged that Jesus knew Lazarus , Mary and Martha . Could you give supporting verse to show this ? More than ample reference in those few verses to guide , Why would they send for Jesus ?

Pine Baron
10-21-2017, 08:52 AM
The sisters send a message to Jesus: Lord, the one you love is sick (v. 3). Clearly, Jesus had a special relationship with this man and his sisters (v. 5). Yet chapters 11 and 12 are the only reference to Lazarus in the New Testament.

Boaz
10-21-2017, 09:36 AM
Thank you Pine Baron !
In John 11 ; 4 Jesus makes this statement .

When Jesus heard that, He said, “This sickness is not unto death, but for the glory of God, that the Son of God may be glorified through it.”

Why and how could he say it ?

Pine Baron
10-21-2017, 10:13 AM
Lazarus did die. But Jesus brought him out of the tomb to display his power, to give us a glimpse of the resurrection, and to bring glory to his name.

Boaz
10-21-2017, 12:09 PM
Thank you Pine Baron !
In verses 4-7 why did Jesus delay going to his friend who was sick and family who needed him ?

Now Jesus loved Martha and her sister and Lazarus. 6 So, when He heard that he was sick, He stayed two more days in the place where He was. 7 Then after this He said to the disciples, “Let us go to Judea again.”

wv109323
10-21-2017, 12:58 PM
I believe that he delayed going so that there was no doubt by anyone that Lazarus was indeed dead. Even his sisters said that he would stink if the grave was opened.
The other times that people were raised from the dead was shortly after they died. The widow's son, the young girl etc.
The raising of Lazarus should show us that indeed God/Jesus has the power to resurrect whether one or all the dead at once. This should add to our hope of resurrection on the Lord's Day.

Boaz
10-21-2017, 01:31 PM
Thank you wv109323 ! Jesus explains in verse 4 exactly why he waits .

This sickness is not unto death, but for the glory of God, that the Son of God may be glorified through it.”

Boaz
10-21-2017, 01:35 PM
Why in verse 8 do the disciples warn him that going back to Judea could be dangerous . Who is trying to set the Jews against Christ ?

Handloader109
10-21-2017, 01:52 PM
Even then the pharasees feared Jesus and were threatened by him. The power the Jewish hierarchy had was almost an ultimate control, and they feared that loss of control over the people. As today it is all about controlling your fellow man.

Boaz
10-21-2017, 02:06 PM
Thank you handloader109 ! You are correct sir !
Allow me to add the Sanhedrin , Herod , Romans and anyone with money and power .

Boaz
10-21-2017, 03:32 PM
In verses 9-11 what is Jesus explaining to his disciples ?

Jesus answered, “Are there not twelve hours in the day? If anyone walks in the day, he does not stumble, because he sees the light of this world. 10 But if one walks in the night, he stumbles, because the light is not in him.” 11 These things He said, and after that He said to them, “Our friend Lazarus sleeps, but I go that I may wake him up.”

Messy bear
10-21-2017, 03:43 PM
Been snooping around here awhile.
Chapter 12:10- But the chief priests plotted to put Lazarus to death also...
Evidently every one around Jesus was fair game. They must a really been threatened with the crowds following him? Would they have lost their power? Money? Fame?

Boaz
10-21-2017, 04:53 PM
The coming and teaching of Jesus was 'revolutionary' , it was new . He was changing the world . The old order was threatened and afraid of that teaching ..not recognizing he was the son of GOD as in verse 4 he proclaims with his words . But even then the disciples did not understand he was the Christ , Emanuel (meaning GOD is with us) .

4 When Jesus heard that, He said, “This sickness is not unto death, but for the glory of God, that the Son of God may be glorified through it.”

If anyone would like to add to my comment or speak please do ! I love to hear thought .

Thundarstick
10-21-2017, 10:08 PM
It's my understanding that the common Jewish superstition of the day held that the soul lingered about the body for three days looking for the possibility to renter, but that after the third day the soul would no longer recognise the face of it's body due to the decomposition and would move on into the eternal.
Jesus waited this extra time to accomplish two things. One was to allow many of these Jews to gather for the funeral and to comfort the sisters. Two was to perform the miracle before these Jews outside this time line of superstition. He showed his absolute supremacy over everything, including death, to many in the "upper crust" of Jewish society so there where NO DOUBTS about him.(Glorifying God) When the witnesses told their story everywhere is when the earnest plot to kill him was complete in the temple, because the leaders knew they couldn't explain this one away, or get an angle to refute Jesus power any longer!

rl69
10-22-2017, 07:58 AM
If we do not have Christ in our lives we need a light to guide us.sailors on the ocean use the stars. We on the other hand have a better way to navigate the" holly spirit " stop pray and listen he will guide you

Boaz
10-22-2017, 08:24 AM
Thank you rl69 !
At the time Jesus made this comment it was probably not completely clear to the disciples . It could have been taken in a cryptic way applying practical earthly concepts . I agree with you Ronnie , our bible has many verses telling us to stay in GOD's light .

Boaz
10-22-2017, 03:23 PM
In verses 14-16 the disciples seem confused by what Jesus is saying ? What was the situation ?

Then Jesus said to them plainly, “Lazarus is dead. 15 And I am glad for your sakes that I was not there, that you may believe. Nevertheless let us go to him.”
16 Then Thomas, who is called the Twin, said to his fellow disciples, “Let us also go, that we may die with Him.”

Boaz
10-22-2017, 04:12 PM
Is not directly to the question I posed in my last comment but coming soon is a revelation , an understanding through admission . Clarification of who the son of a carpenter really is . Things start changing . It gets better as we move along !

rl69
10-22-2017, 05:52 PM
Not sure I can put this into words?

Jesus is the giver of life. If he had been there nobody would have understood why he didn't heal him. Now that Lazarus is dead he can now be given life in Christ. It seams Thomas understood what Jeuses was saying and wanted that life. The life we now have because of the love of the father.

Boaz
10-22-2017, 06:29 PM
Lord thank you . Thank you for those that bear witness by seeking . Bless all who seek you Lord . Give courage that many ask , that many try . Give understanding to those who will venture and to ask . To read your word to find purpose and reason . Give the guidance and strength of your word in our daily lives to affect others . Be in our heart and mind to allow the spirit to guide . Provide for our inadequacies , correct our indecision and help us to live in the example you died to give us . Thank you Lord . Amen

Boaz
10-23-2017, 06:02 AM
Not sure I can put this into words?

Jesus is the giver of life. If he had been there nobody would have understood why he didn't heal him. Now that Lazarus is dead he can now be given life in Christ. It seams Thomas understood what Jeuses was saying and wanted that life. The life we now have because of the love of the father.

Thank you Ronnie !
That's a good answer going by the verse at hand . But lets look at the fact that the Jews are out to kill Jesus and his followers which all the disciples are aware of . Bethany is only 2 miles away from Jerusalem The disciples are in hiding thinking they will be killed if they go there , certain death .
At this point after Jesus had preformed so many miracles , healing the sick , turning water into wine , casting out demons . Hearing his teaching , listening to his prophesy of his own death they still did not fully understand he was the son of GOD . This is borne out in verse 8 .

8 The disciples said to Him, “Rabbi, lately the Jews sought to stone You, and are You going there again?”

They still fear for him , they call him Rabbi , although realization is coming it will not be complete until he is crucified and he has risen . They think he is a man given by GOD to do these things . They don't understand fully he is the son of GOD , Emanuel , the Christ .

The raising of Lazarus is intentional , planned to help reveal this but not completely .

Boaz
10-23-2017, 08:29 PM
Dang it . Must have stuck my foot in my mouth . Sorry if it applies .

popper
10-23-2017, 08:45 PM
Israelite/Jew belief that only after 3 days was a person 'really' dead. Still is that Edgar Allen Poe 'sleeping' sickness.

Boaz
10-23-2017, 08:48 PM
Thank you ! And you point is ?

Thundarstick
10-23-2017, 09:49 PM
The point is that after four days the Jews couldn't say, "he wasn't really dead, just in a deep sleep". His disciples would see this as an undeniable ultimate power! Amen!

Tom W.
10-23-2017, 10:30 PM
You'll notice that Jesus said for Lazarus to come forth. Had He said different, perhaps the whole graveyard would have risen.

And as Lazarus was bound head and foot, perhaps there was a more than good chance that he floated out of the tomb. If not, he wouldn't have to be unbound.

Just random thoughts batted around during a Sunday School class.....

Boaz
10-24-2017, 06:13 AM
Verses 17-27 are pivotal again in complete realization who Jesus is .

17 So when Jesus came, He found that he had already been in the tomb four days. 18 Now Bethany was near Jerusalem, about two miles away. 19 And many of the Jews had joined the women around Martha and Mary, to comfort them concerning their brother.
20 Now Martha, as soon as she heard that Jesus was coming, went and met Him, but Mary was sitting in the house. 21 Now Martha said to Jesus, “Lord, if You had been here, my brother would not have died. 22 But even now I know that whatever You ask of God, God will give You.”
23 Jesus said to her, “Your brother will rise again.”
24 Martha said to Him, “I know that he will rise again in the resurrection at the last day.”
25 Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in Me, though he may die, he shall live. 26 And whoever lives and believes in Me shall never die. Do you believe this?”
27 She said to Him, “Yes, Lord, I believe that You are the Christ, the Son of God, who is to come into the world.”

Boaz
10-26-2017, 05:22 PM
Well heck this thread went well for a while and I enjoyed the discussion . That's what I meant it to be ..an exchange of thoughts and ideas . I'll let it slide off the board but I did enjoy the input ! Thank you !

Boaz
10-27-2017, 07:05 PM
Aww dang it !! To those that have emailed me wanting me to continue I will not ! If you are not willing to enjoin There is little I can do . I ain't no preacher , I have no authority on the board . To each I say read your bible , seek reference , seek local face to face counseling .

Charlie

Thundarstick
10-27-2017, 09:48 PM
Jhn 12:1-11
Six days before the Passover, Jesus came to Bethany, where Lazarus lived, whom Jesus had raised from the dead. Here a dinner was given in Jesus’ honor. Martha served, while Lazarus was among those reclining at the table with him. Then Mary took about a pint of pure nard, an expensive perfume; she poured it on Jesus’ feet and wiped his feet with her hair. And the house was filled with the fragrance of the perfume.
But one of his disciples, Judas Iscariot, who was later to betray him, objected, “Why wasn’t this perfume sold and the money given to the poor? It was worth a year’s wages.”
He did not say this because he cared about the poor but because he was a thief; as keeper of the money bag, he used to help himself to what was put into it. “Leave her alone,” Jesus replied. “It was intended that she should save this perfume for the day of my burial. You will always have the poor among you, but you will not always have me.”
Meanwhile a large crowd of Jews found out that Jesus was there and came, not only because of him but also to see Lazarus, whom he had raised from the dead.
So the chief priests made plans to kill Lazarus as well, for on account of him many of the Jews were going over to Jesus and believing in him.

So in these verses we see the continuation of the miracle of Lazarus restoration to life. You could almost say Jesus was rubbing their (Jewish leadership/sanhedrean) noise in it. They even made plans on how they should kill Lazarus as well, because so many where believing on Jesus because of Lazarus.

Now in Luke 16, Jesus tells a parable of a rich man and a beggar named Lazarus. You can read the account there, but I think Jesus used the same name on purpose, especially when I read Luk 16:30-31
“ ‘No, father Abraham,’ he said, ‘but if someone from the dead goes to them, they will repent.’ “He said to him, ‘If they do not listen to Moses and the Prophets, they will not be convinced even if someone rises from the dead.’ ” Yet when the very man of the same name was raised, many, many, believed! However, the leaders, the powerful, and many of the rich would not believe, yes to the point of plotting to kill these men!

What's this have to do with me? My everyday life, my sharing the good news? I'm reminded that even if I could raise the dead in Jesus Christ name, there are those who will not believe, and may even plot against me. Yet in the end there is a resurrection to life or to death.