PDA

View Full Version : What To Use To Remove Paint From A Glock Frame?

Lefty Red
10-20-2017, 03:48 PM
Just traded for a like New G26/Gen3 for carry. Only problem with it is the Punisher Skull on both side of the grip!

Anyone know what I can use to take it off and not destroy the frame?

Lefty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mytmousemalibu
10-20-2017, 03:54 PM
Might be able to use some brake fluid. That stuff definitely eats paint although not super fast but I don't think it would hurt the polymer. Test on a magazine first. Soak a paper towel and wrap the affected area with it. Other things like actually paint stripper or lacquer thinner might damage the polymer. Just test before diving in.

lefty o
10-20-2017, 04:09 PM
hard to say , especially without knowing what kind of paint. most things that will remove paint will do at least some damage to plastic.

Boolit_Head
10-20-2017, 04:15 PM
Sanblast and Cerakote over it.

Lefty Red
10-20-2017, 04:41 PM
Sanblast and Cerakote over it.

It’s a good enough deal, I was thinking of doing that.
Always wanted a BFG G26!

country gent
10-20-2017, 06:00 PM
You might try a simple pencil eraser, a lot of glues pants don't adhere well to the polymer frames material. It might rub off.

Greg S
10-20-2017, 06:16 PM
A couple of options:

1. I would try paint thinners from 100% alcohol, acetone, lacquer thinner, xylene and finally MEK in this order ascending from mild to strong. With the alcohol, i'd wet a paper towel and wrap it around the grip the maybe scrub with a bronze brush gently.

As a finaly option, i would try some paint stripper after testing on a mag to see if it softens the plastic.

2. Mask and bead blast grip panels.

3. Stipple.

Kestrel4k
10-20-2017, 06:20 PM
I have also found that Hoppe's #9 can work on things that alcohol, mineral spirits, & acetone fail at, and is considerably more plastic-friendly than acetone. As mild as it is, it's worth a try.

55fairlane
10-20-2017, 08:31 PM
Gun zilla soaked in to a "magic eraser " or other clp soaked in a "magic eraser " might have to let it sit on the paint a while, but it will come off

WJP
10-20-2017, 09:20 PM
Gun zilla soaked in to a "magic eraser " or other clp soaked in a "magic eraser " might have to let it sit on the paint a while, but it will come off

This. I wouldn't use acetone or other harsh solvents on a polymer frame.

GhostHawk
10-20-2017, 09:59 PM
You could also cover it with a new design, decal, or simply a round black spot.

mcdaniel.mac
10-20-2017, 10:02 PM
Start with CLP on a nylon brush and see what that's doing. Paint or cerakote over it isn't a bad option either.

Lefty Red
10-21-2017, 02:49 AM
You could also cover it with a new design, decal, or simply a round black spot.

I thought of just putting Talon Grips on it. But with my luck, if I ever had to use a weapon to defend myself this would be the one! I’m a believer of “a good shoot is a good shoot” but do not want to give a hot shot DA any reason to be a SJW if the grip wraps start to peel off.

I will post pictures when I go a pick it up Monday, but the skulls (which are pretty cool and well done) look like they are just spray painted on with a clear coat over it. Hope the Hoppes 9/CLP suggestion works. Gawd knows it’s removed Stuff I DIDN’T want gone.

I have went to this shop for the last six months a “founded” this G26 ever time and the owner just offered me a price I couldn’t refuse. Even with the added $40 of cerakoting the frame, it’s below what a used one would be. I’m thinking the clerk that traded for this, isn’t working there anymore.

Lefty

warpspeed
10-21-2017, 03:04 AM
Brake cleaner perhaps ?

jonp
10-21-2017, 06:30 AM
Did you try soaking it in Kroil?

Lefty Red
10-21-2017, 09:07 AM
Did you try soaking it in Kroil?

Haven’t tired anythjng yet. Will get it Monday and at least get pictures up.

Texas by God
10-23-2017, 04:07 PM
I've removed paint from nylon (Zytel) with carb cleaner. A brass bristle brush might work as well. Glocks are supposed to be tough, go for it!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

EMC45
10-23-2017, 09:13 PM
I have a Model 36 I'm looking at for a buddy. Looks to have the Brownells type bake paint on it. It is real thick. Dropped the trigger and hammer in Acetone and it did Nada! I may try the brake fluid trick.

Lefty Red
10-26-2017, 09:43 AM
Well, I asked some real gun nerds and due to the thickness of the paint and were it was located and the amount, O decided to pass on the G26 and went with a boring G23.

Lloyd Smale
10-27-2017, 05:57 AM
you will like that boring 23. They just plain work and are a jack of all trades gun. Ive allways said if I had to pair down my black gun stash the 23 and 19 would be the last ones to leave the safe.
Well, I asked some real gun nerds and due to the thickness of the paint and were it was located and the amount, O decided to pass on the G26 and went with a boring G23.

Lefty Red
10-27-2017, 12:11 PM
you will like that boring 23. They just plain work and are a jack of all trades gun. Ive allways said if I had to pair down my black gun stash the 23 and 19 would be the last ones to leave the safe.

Ain’t that the truth! I keep going back to these two pistols for carry, home defense, training, etc.

W.R.Buchanan
10-30-2017, 05:09 PM
Lefty just use some Acetone on it, it won't hurt the frame one bit. it should just wipe off with acetone on a rag unless the paint is some super duper gun coat stuff. If it is Cera Kote it won't be coming off period, and you will have to just paint over it.

Also brake cleaner is the goto stuff for deep cleaning these guns. Saves a lot of time if you don't want to completely disassemble the gun,,, which you should do anyway after every 500 or so rounds.

I am now using Vaseline as my primary lubricant for my Glocks. it works as good or better than anything else I've tried.

Randy