PDA

View Full Version : Patch Question, Round or Square?

Eddie2002
10-19-2017, 04:01 PM
I was digging through my black powder shooting box and found that all the prelubed round patches from Cabella have molded and are pretty much trash.
I've already picked up some pillow ticking and am wondering which is better, round or square patches or does it really matter.
Another question is if 50/50 bees wax/olive oil will work or should I stick with bore butter. I would prefer to lube with the bees wax mix mainly because bore butter dries out and gets funky over time and I've a lot of bees wax.

thanks

Edward
10-19-2017, 04:11 PM
Square patch works fine for me and BW and Crisco (unsalted) works great, sheep tallow works in place of crisco even better/Ed

FrontierMuzzleloading
10-19-2017, 04:48 PM
doesnt matter

rmark
10-19-2017, 05:35 PM
Square works fine.

rodwha
10-19-2017, 05:42 PM
Some lubes seem to last forever and some have a definite shelf life. I've not tried it but Gatofeo's #1 lube is said to work quite well as a patch lube. I certainly know it works great on wads, pistol bullets, and my Lee REALs. And it's lasted years in my closet.

Patch shape is no concern. I also bought pillow ticking and cut squares.

Eddie2002
10-19-2017, 06:13 PM
Thanks, I bought a yard of ticking for about what a pack of 100 patches cost at Cabella's. I'm going to try the 50/50 beeswax olive oil for a lube, already have some made for .58 caliber Minnie balls.

Rattus58
10-21-2017, 05:08 PM
I was digging through my black powder shooting box and found that all the prelubed round patches from Cabella have molded and are pretty much trash.
I've already picked up some pillow ticking and am wondering which is better, round or square patches or does it really matter.
Another question is if 50/50 bees wax/olive oil will work or should I stick with bore butter. I would prefer to lube with the bees wax mix mainly because bore butter dries out and gets funky over time and I've a lot of bees wax.

thanks

In my OPINION, it doesn't matter, but find square or rectangular and cut at the muzzle easier to work with . :D

Rattus58
10-21-2017, 05:26 PM
Thanks, I bought a yard of ticking for about what a pack of 100 patches cost at Cabella's. I'm going to try the 50/50 beeswax olive oil for a lube, already have some made for .58 caliber Minnie balls.

Should be fine, I prefer soluble oil and water ratio of 1:7 works good as does my over powder wad formula of 50/50 beeswax and Crisco and a dollop of lanolin .

mozeppa
10-21-2017, 06:26 PM
i use pentagon shaped.

or was it decahedron?....i ferget.