View Full Version : Sticker shock

starmac
10-19-2017, 12:18 AM
It has probably been a year and a half to two years since I have browsed ebay.
I like old iron presses and since I gave my only c press away a couple of years ago, thought I might look and see what was available. I like old iron heavy duty presses, but couldn't belive how much the prices have increased in the last couple of years.
I am sure glad I am not starting out now, I would be forced to go with new equipment. lol

Pressman
10-19-2017, 09:54 AM
Yes they have. Looking back eBay used to be about the kids cleaning out grandpa's basement and selling what they found on eBay. Now they caller a dealer who gives them a flat fee for everything and then resells it on eBay. Mostly they don't know what they have , however careful searching through the sold files on eBay they get a sort of description of the tools and the FINAL selling price. So, if it sold for that much at auction then my opening bid must be for what it is worth, the final selling price. But this is an auction so that sale gives an even higher final selling price, and the cycle repeats.

Ken

LUBEDUDE
10-19-2017, 01:26 PM
Though I recently bought a few presses off of eBay to fill some holes in my collection; I have backed off immensely due to the insane pricing.

For example, there is a guy trying to get $1,150 for a $250-300 Hollywood Senior single stage press. Sure he has some shell holders and dies with it, but they are only worth another $100.

Another guy wants $499 for his Senior, and another guy wants $595 for an aluminum Senior.

And they wonder why those presses haven’t sold after months of being there.

DerekP Houston
10-19-2017, 01:53 PM
Though I recently bought a few presses off of eBay to fill some holes in my collection; I have backed off immensely due to the insane pricing.

For example, there is a guy trying to get $1,150 for a $250-300 Hollywood Senior single stage press. Sure he has some shell holders and dies with it, but they are only worth another $100.

Another guy wants $499 for his Senior, and another guy wants $595 for an aluminum Senior.

And they wonder why those presses haven’t sold after months of being there.

Some people are content to sit on items and continually re-list them, I believe they are ebays favorite as they pay for relisting each time. Typically if I'm looking to get rid of something I just want a decent price for it, not top dollar, and would rather sell it quickly than waste more time trying to nickle and dime another member here.

KenT7021
10-19-2017, 03:02 PM
I have bought a lot of reloading and casting stuff from eBay.There can be some good deals.On the other hand some abused current production items are started at two or three times retail price.Before bidding check what the seller wants for shipping.Some charge an extreme amount.
Anyone see the antique bullet casting tools from India?Probably made from gold.

Grmps
10-19-2017, 03:09 PM
I see them for around $60 on craigslist and offerup BUT I don't live near the top of the world.

someone was trying to sell a Lee aluminum 2 cavity mold on ETSY claiming it was from the 1890's for over $1.000 Lee started business around 1950:veryconfu

LUBEDUDE
10-19-2017, 03:26 PM
Some people are content to sit on items and continually re-list them, I believe they are ebays favorite as they pay for relisting each time. Typically if I'm looking to get rid of something I just want a decent price for it, not top dollar, and would rather sell it quickly than waste more time trying to nickle and dime another member here.

I agree, I much prefer a quick $50 over a slow $100 any day!

starmac
10-19-2017, 03:40 PM
Lubedude, I actually searched for hollywoods first, thinking a senior would be a nice addition to the bench. The asking prices have gone nuts. lol

I do not need another press, so will bide my time and eventually pick up something that interest me locally at an estate sale or local auction, gunshow, etc.

Kevin Rohrer
10-19-2017, 05:36 PM
I check the Ebay Hollywoods on a regular basis and have found Seniors for <$300; Model-IIIs for <$600.

Oh, and I sent a message to the retard that wants $1100 for his Senior, telling him what it was worth. But the reply I got back was from someone who rode the short-bus earlier in-life. Epic fail on both his and his parents' part.

BPCR Bill
10-19-2017, 05:55 PM
From a purely functional standpoint, and not a collectors item, I would buy the new RCBS Summit single stage, very much designed like an old Hollywood press. It retails for right at $180. Just like old rifles of days gone by, the good deals aren't there anymore.

Rcmaveric
10-19-2017, 06:40 PM
Good deals are there. Just have to weed them out. I always put things in order of cheapest price including shipping. That puts the crooks on the last page. I just ordered my first lube sizer off there. A Lyman 45 in good shape. Seller says it works and sent me dies and top punch for 9mm. All for 50 bucks. I am not sure of actually worth, but google said around 50 was a good price.

LUBEDUDE
10-19-2017, 07:04 PM
Lubedude, I actually searched for hollywoods first, thinking a senior would be a nice addition to the bench. The asking prices have gone nuts. lol

I do not need another press, so will bide my time and eventually pick up something that interest me locally at an estate sale or local auction, gunshow, etc.

Starmac, there is a Senior there opening at $229 with $56 shipping. Not a bad deal at all considering the steel just needs the patina removed. It was at $299 and he reduced the price last week with no bites yet.

LUBEDUDE
10-19-2017, 07:05 PM
I check the Ebay Hollywoods on a regular basis and have found Seniors for <$300; Model-IIIs for <$600.

Oh, and I sent a message to the retard that wants $1100 for his Senior, telling him what it was worth. But the reply I got back was from someone who rode the short-bus earlier in-life. Epic fail on both his and his parents' part.

I hear ya Kevin!

I quit sending those guys messages since they always fall on deaf ears.

starmac
10-19-2017, 07:20 PM
From a purely functional standpoint, and not a collectors item, I would buy the new RCBS Summit single stage, very much designed like an old Hollywood press. It retails for right at $180. Just like old rifles of days gone by, the good deals aren't there anymore.

That summit just does not trip my trigger like the old iron does.
LikeI said if I was just starting out and had to have a press, I would likely go new, but that isn't the case

I have read quite a few post where folks that jumped on the summits when they came about have since traded them off for one reason or other too.

LubeDude, I may need to go back and look at that senior, but I bet that shipping price will not cover Alaska. lol Matter of fact, many ebay sellers will not ship anything to Alaska at all, and I don't have the patience to explain shipping to them anymore, so when it says no Alaska or Hawaii, I just move on. lol

On another note, I just in the last few days finished going back through all 4 hundred some odd pages of this forum (took me several days) and it is funny to see what we think good prices are now compared to what they were bringing when this topic was added. lol

RogerDat
10-19-2017, 07:35 PM
I think one might do pretty well with a WTB in the S&S forum at least if anyone was willing to part with a "classic" press. On eBay I look to the sold section and figure the market price from that. If it looks like a good source I'll start keeping tabs of what is being offered. Have picked up a few items there but for a lot of stuff I think the deals here or from local vendors at gun shows are better or at least no worse. I have noted that lube sizers tend to be more plentiful on eBay in the sub $75 range than at gun shows or here. Here I think the condition may be better or at least more accurately represented

starmac
10-19-2017, 07:46 PM
I will say that you are right usually, but I bought 2 lubrisizers from a member here that were not at all what I expected, I would have described them as parts machines myself.

RogerDat
10-19-2017, 08:58 PM
I will say that you are right usually, but I bought 2 lubrisizers from a member here that were not at all what I expected, I would have described them as parts machines myself. Bummer. I have had pretty good luck but then some items such as lubrisizers or those shot shell loaders are a bit more complex and less robust than what I have purchased. C Press or dies are mostly what I have bought for equipment. Less "subjective" opinion in is the press rusty or not, I think most members try hard to be up front on what you are getting. I guess that makes it worse when you have expectations based on past experiences and then the items come up short.

starmac
10-20-2017, 01:41 AM
No complaints from me RD, I have bought lots of stuff off of our swap and sell with 100% satisfaction except for that one. I bought a 30 rem and needed everything, with a want to buy on swap and sell had brass, then new brass, dies and was set with everthing on the way in less than a week iirc.

I was not even upset on the lubrisizers, as I was buying something I had no working knowledge of at the time. I since bought 2 more here that were described right on the money.

Shopdog
10-20-2017, 05:44 AM
Ebay is all over the place on pricing.I've gotten decent deals over the years.CB related,snagged a what appeared to be an unused 450 lube sizer.Get it for under 75 to the door.Looked like it was unused except the top circular cover part is missing.No biggie,made a dupe in the shop in a few minutes.

I left feedback that the item was incomplete,couldn't use as delivered.Chalked it up on me for not looking at pics well enough.Not mad,bent,nuthin....heck the part was made and am wanting the dang thing bolted down,haha.

Seller contacts me like it's the end of the world....huh?Is offering to cut 50$ off.Quickly looked at listed prices for the part and said that is all there was to it,money and effort.Still not giving a hoot.Seller refunded the 50$ anyway.I edited the feedback that the seller was professional about handling a minor problem.And they were SO happy it was a little wierd?

Have bought a few things very cheap over the years and just make the missing parts.No biggie.

kmw1954
10-20-2017, 10:29 AM
I have commented on this subject before also. What makes me laugh are things like Lee Dippers. You can buy them all day long at Walmart, Amazon or Cabela's for about $10.00 brand new. Yet I see them many times starting at like $15.00 used with another $9.00 shipping. See the same with dies. Why would I want to pay full retail+ for a used set of dies?

Another one I can't understand is Lee presses. No matter which forum one goes to the general consensus is Lee Presses are worthless junk yet I see them all the time bringing close to full retail. Now if they are such pieces of junk how can they resale for so much?

RogerDat
10-20-2017, 12:59 PM
Another one I can't understand is Lee presses. No matter which forum one goes to the general consensus is Lee Presses are worthless junk yet I see them all the time bringing close to full retail. Now if they are such pieces of junk how can they resale for so much? Actually I would say the consensus is there will be some that bash Lee presses or any Lee equipment in most Forums. With as many or more who refuting those claims. I do not understand how it is that folks don't comparison shop. The used price is often at or near new on eBay. I was told that some of the sales are to countries where ordering from eBay is more likely that shooting and reloading supplies make it through customs or avoids the commercial source that won't ship "that" item outside the US.

If true that might explain both the higher premium pricing, as well as the default high shipping. If you sell a bunch of your stuff to where gun restrictions are pretty tight you could probably get more profit. Price it high and people in US that have more options won't buy it, leaving it for customers who will pay more for it.

dverna
10-20-2017, 03:01 PM
Not all Lee stuff is junk. I hate blanket statements

kmw1954
10-20-2017, 03:18 PM
Not all Lee stuff is junk. I hate blanket statements

As do I. They also in reality do not prove anything or promote any sort of discussion. Same goes for a topic I was following, the OP was asking about a certain S&W semi-auto and this one same guy responded 3 different times, "just get a Glock". How that was pertinent to the discussion is beyond me. BTW I have 2 junk Lee presses that I use exclusively and both were bought used.

Back on topic, I see stuff way over priced all the time to which I just keep on moving along. All three of the presses I have and use were purchased used on ebay. All were in very good condition and should last me the rest of my lifetime.

RogerDat
10-20-2017, 03:31 PM
As do I. They also in reality do not prove anything or promote any sort of discussion. Same goes for a topic I was following, the OP was asking about a certain S&W semi-auto and this one same guy responded 3 different times, "just get a Glock". How that was pertinent to the discussion is beyond me. BTW I have 2 junk Lee presses that I use exclusively and both were bought used.

Back on topic, I see stuff way over priced all the time to which I just keep on moving along. All three of the presses I have and use were purchased used on ebay. All were in very good condition and should last me the rest of my lifetime.

I am hoping to add one more press (really just one more!) and that is a Lee Classic cast single stage, used I don't think I save anything really over buying new from Titan Reloading. Assuming I found one offered which doesn't seem to happen all that often. There is one for $109 buy it now on ebay with a pack of Hornady Lock-n-Load bushings. Considering new is only $110 that is a better deal but not a great deal. Auction is at $79 with several days to go.... bet it goes higher.

kmw1954
10-20-2017, 03:43 PM
RogerDat cannot argue that one bit. Titan Reloading is only about 1.5hrs from me and I'm afraid to go in there. Could get very costly.

I have a Lee Pro1000 that I picked up on ebay for about $85.00 shipped. It was mostly complete and only missing the shell feeder tubes and the plastic cover for the primer tray. The thing was very clean and hardly used, even came in the original box. This one was set up for 38Spl. with the dies, disk measure and all the disks. Now I see them a lot with no dies, no measure or beat to pcs selling for over $100.00

9.3X62AL
10-20-2017, 04:16 PM
There are a lot of "variables" to factor in to the acquisition question. It boils down to this, for me--Do I want to spend my free time hunting online for bargain tools & toys, or hunting afield for critters? My time is worth something to me, and figures highly into the mix. Tomorrow is promised to no one.

kmw1954
10-20-2017, 04:29 PM
There are a lot of "variables" to factor in to the acquisition question. It boils down to this, for me--Do I want to spend my free time hunting online for bargain tools & toys, or hunting afield for critters? My time is worth something to me, and figures highly into the mix. Tomorrow is promised to no one.

My question I guess is why does it have to be one or the other? Why can't you do both?

After having 11 stents in the past and an open heart bypass this spring I don't think any one knows better than me about tomorrows promise.

Legion489
10-20-2017, 04:31 PM
Many of the sellers have a flat $50/month flat fee and list hundreds if not thousands of items. I was looking at one item, only about 3 1/2 times what it was worth and on there for over a year. I dropped the guy a Pm and said if he wanted to sell, let me know. I got a reply where he said he has thousands of items listed at a cost of 5cents a month each and didn't care if it sold or not, if some one bought it it would pay for it self about seven times over so he didn't care.

The fools see these prices and then set their offer bid at the extreme prices they see and get POed if it doesn't sell. That is why they ask retail + S&H for Lee junk, they don't know any better, but if that guy has it listed for twice retail....

9.3X62AL
10-20-2017, 05:24 PM
My question I guess is why does it have to be one or the other? Why can't you do both?

The approach can be any mixture a person wants to blend. It's not my place to tell others how to go about their business, I was only sharing my own view of the question.

kmw1954
10-20-2017, 05:38 PM
The approach can be any mixture a person wants to blend. It's not my place to tell others how to go about their business, I was only sharing my own view of the question...

I understood your response and my question was more or less to you. So why can't you do both at the same time? Why does it have to be one or the other?
I find I enjoy many different things at the same time. We all only have so much "Free"time. Much like I take my free time here to converse with you. Which I do enjoy BTW.:drinks:

9.3X62AL
10-20-2017, 06:12 PM
Of course someone can do both or a number of factors at once. We all do that. I just don't care much for shopping or for dickering. Some folks love that stuff.

kmw1954
10-20-2017, 08:27 PM
Unfortunately we all have to buy things from time to time. I've learned a long time ago on the auctions that I'll have a pretty good idea of what something is worth, what it would cost new and what I'm willing to pay for it used. I'll place my bid and if it go beyond that I'm done. Another will come along.

starmac
10-20-2017, 10:20 PM
Auctions are funny animals. I was at a western auto auction once and the retail price was marked on every item. I watched folks pay twice and better for some items, even some big items like freezers, when they could go 7 miles down the road and get the very same thing from a western auto store for half WITH a warranty and free delivery. lol

Shopdog
10-21-2017, 05:47 PM
Got an RCBS uniflow on a buy it now off fleabay sorta recently on the stupid cheap....like 25 to the door or sumthin.I have a "running list" of sorts on several things.Then patience,LOTS of it.

Took an aluminum 12"? disc that's made for or used as a,sanding disc....don't even know where they come from?we have a 1/2 dz or more big stationary sanders,the only "disc" is a 20" 1910 machine.People must leave them here...anyway;the disc was bored 7/8" equal spacing around the perimeter.It has mostly uniflows but there is a 55 on it I think.Works fantastic as a carousel,certain CB loads of mine never change so it's pretty lazy way to throw charges....without all the adj.

dragon813gt
10-21-2017, 05:51 PM
People pay stupid amounts of money for old presses w/ poor ergonomics. Unless it's Cast steel the new production ones are better. You'd be better off to pick up a Lee Classic Cast and load away. It's one of the best values around.

eBay is just like the classifieds here. Check in at the right time and you stumble into some deals. I use eBay for auto parts. Search out OEM part numbers and pick them up a lot cheaper than locally, plus no tax. I'm willing to wait for them to be shipped.

starmac
10-21-2017, 07:03 PM
But who makes a new cast iron or steel C press?? Like I said I do not need a press, just thinking one of the old c presses would be handy for some things.
If I needed a single stage press, I would probably go with the lee classic cast.

Ozark Howler
10-21-2017, 08:45 PM
My two favorite presses that get most of the work are my RCBS A2 and my Lee Classic Cast SS. Some praise the A2 and beat up the Lee, if you use both you'll find little difference from the reloader's view point. Lee makes some junk, but so do the others.

Green Frog
10-23-2017, 08:04 AM
I've bought both new and used reloading equipment from both e-Bay and (for longer) at gun shows. Usually I'll look around on both and establish my own "market value" and try to stay as far under it as possible. One big advantage of this strategy is that I can look for specific discontinued items I "need" for their unique features, or of course get what I want at reasonable prices. Mainly, I do best if I take my time and don't have to rush into my purchases. :coffeecom

Froggie

kmw1954
10-23-2017, 01:04 PM
Froggie I agree completely. There are bargains to be had but you have to actively watch for the them and be ready to buy right then. There was an item I found that I wanted with a buy it now. I saved it to favorites and continued looking. When I got back to it 20min later it was already bought. So I lost out on an item I was looking for at a great price because I didn't act immediately, someone else got a great deal.

salpal48
10-23-2017, 05:05 PM
I have no complaints with Ebay or Etsy. It is a love- Hate Relationship. I check it on a Daily basis . It is amazing what Goes Up. as a buy it Now.
I hear It all the time that the prices are High. Yes High On some , Low on another.
Gota Love It

jmorris
10-23-2017, 06:07 PM
Yeah, back after Obama was reelected and sandyhook I sold a Dillon 650 for enough to order a new 1050, bullet feeder and have a little cash left over.

I bet I bid on 100 items to everyone I "win". I place a bit that is what I would pay for a item and forget about it. They will send me an email if I get it and I let the other folks decide if they want to pay too much for something.

RogerDat
10-23-2017, 08:07 PM
Totally agree that knowing the value, or knowing you need to learn it to avoid paying a fool's tax on your ignorance is the first step. Knowing what it will probably sell for, where that stands in relationship to what you are willing to spend yourself also helps.

Patience and willing to pass without the loss being painful if the deal isn't right will save you from paying too much. I will pay more to get more or better quality but not if the price to value isn't decent Which is the last item to attend to, knowing the value afforded by a range of products that offer the same thing. If a die set costs 4x what another set costs will my ammo be 4x as good? Are they both carbide? Similar condition? Price doesn't equal value be it high or low.

duckear
10-27-2017, 07:32 PM

I have never sold on eBay, but bought a bunch of stuff. My account goes back to 98.

I saw a Lee Loader on eBay sit unsold with a starting bid around $40.

Not a nibble.

Relisted 3-4 times, but then, the right people saw the ad.

bidding war and it sold for $80+

eBay give the true 'going price' for an item, even if it is only for the one winning buyer.

Green Frog
11-03-2017, 09:22 AM
I’m a little depressed with what has happened to Herters press prices. :coffeecom Around here they used to be hard to give away because they used non-standard shell holders and weren’t painted green or orange. Now they’re “collectible” and the $25-50 Super U I could buy any time I wanted 15 years ago has gone up anywhere from 6 to tenfold. “We grow too soon oldt und too late “schmardt” :(

Froggie

salpal48
11-03-2017, 09:43 AM
Today everything is Collectable. Once junk Now gold. the traffic draws the market.. I see this all the time @ the gun shows.
Reloading antiques, Civil war . WWII . Collectors Drive the market
the hunt is everything. It's easy to sell on The internet. Post and sell

M_59
01-16-2018, 03:06 PM
What gets me is that the person is using a computer to list an item and they seem to not take the time to use that same computer to do a search for the actual estimated value of a certain item. Case in point is the Ebay Buy it Now listings. I have seen those RCBS Uniflows that say are worth $50 sell on a BIN for $25 WITH a stand to boot. Or another person will list the same item for $100.

Jtarm
01-16-2018, 04:05 PM
In my experience, once something vintage like that gets discovered, people start throwing money at it & it gets crazy.

When I took up woodworking back in the early 2000s, I read up a lot and outfitted my “shop” with vintage Stanley Bailey-style planes I purchased off of EBay, then cleaned & tuned them up. I think the most I paid was about $20 for an old #7 jointer with a broken tote.

I was also able to find some nice early Disston & Atkins hand saws.

I don’t shop eBay hardly at all anymore, but last I checked, those hand tools and especially the old rip saws we’re going for stupid money.

lightman
01-16-2018, 05:43 PM
Being recently retired, I browse EBay pretty often. I'll look at lead, bullet molds, reloading equipment, measuring instruments, ect. Things interesting to a reloader. I laugh at the 1# lead ingots for $17. And the Lee ingot molds for $17 and $18 when you can buy them for $10 or $11. New and used dies for $5 more than you can order them for, often with outrageous shipping. When I see a fair price it often has really high shipping cost. I've yet to buy anything!

maxreloader
01-16-2018, 06:44 PM
Having a good reputation around town and with your local gun dealers goes a long way. Also patience is key, I have waited 2+ years for items after casually mentioning that I was interested if they were ever thinking of parting with the item. Most of the time they remember you if you dont hound them. Sometimes they forget or lose your number. Put enough baited hooks in the pond, sow enough seed in the spring... same idea.