PDA

View Full Version : I Will Play for Gumbo

David2011
10-18-2017, 08:29 PM
"A piece of French bread with which to wipe your bowl, good for the body, good for the soul. . ."

Yeah, ripped off some lines from Buffett and don't even like him any more but it fits. Helping Dad, 84, after a total knee replacement, wanted to cook gumbo for Mom and Dad. It helps that they live about five miles off of Galveston Bay so fresh seafood is abundant. We made a good roux, added the trinity, browned some Andouille sausage in thin slices and simmered it all together until the veggies softened. After some seasoning adjustments with garlic, salt, black pepper, chipotle pepper,red pepper and cooking time I added a pound of blue crab and a large shredded chicken breast. Ten minutes before turning the heat off two pounds of medium shrimp went in.

Served over rice with fresh French bread it was a luxury meal. Mom thought I went to too much trouble until she tasted it. Dad just smiled and chowed down. SWMBO helped make it go away too. What a great time!

Hogtamer
10-18-2017, 08:47 PM
I love you man! (minus the chipotle, just don't like that flavor for some reason)

DougGuy
10-18-2017, 09:12 PM
Thank you for not calling it "seafood gumbo" with all the other meats in there. There are two kinds of gumbo, there is "seafood gumbo" and then there is "gumbo."

Sounds like you knocked it outta da park!! Good on you sir!

I lived on Galveston island in the mid 70s, we got shrimp from Campeche and Tampico that was often 4-6ct, we got whole BIG lobsters, they were $7 or so. My apt. cost $55/mo for rent! Jeez I miss those days.

David2011
10-18-2017, 11:49 PM
I love you man! (minus the chipotle, just don't like that flavor for some reason)

Yeah, I know it doesn't sound right but Mom didn't have any cayenne and I only used about a tsp. in almost 2 gallons of gumbo. It was powdered so it just added a tiny amount of heat and smoky flavor and worked well with the Andouille sausage. It didn't have that grilled jalapeņo flavor.

DougGuy, thank you! I lived in South Louisiana for eight years. I wouldn't bring shame on my LA friends by being sloppy with terms when it comes to something as important to them as food.

gwpercle
10-19-2017, 01:06 PM
This post and the last 2 days cool weather ( high's in the 80's instead of the humid 90's) throws a big Gumbo craving on a person...It doesn't take much for me to go gumbo !
Gotta do one !
Gary

DerekP Houston
10-19-2017, 02:06 PM
I was considering making jambalaya but this does sound like a pretty good alternative as well. I enjoy the smoky taste of chipotle myself.

williamwaco
10-19-2017, 04:10 PM
I love Gumbo!

DCP
10-31-2017, 03:39 PM
Have to try this. Thanks

slownsteady22
10-31-2017, 06:20 PM
you missed one part.......A nice tall cold glass of adult beverage, the gumbo sounds most excellent!

Sent from my SM-G925R4 using Tapatalk