PDA

View Full Version : The First Pacific

Bent Ramrod
10-18-2017, 04:21 PM
Here is my incomplete and somewhat modified Perfection loading press, made by Pacific after they acquired the Hueter Bros. design.

It was missing all the attachments, except the knurled die on the ram, which may be a neck sizer or a bullet seater; not sure. The press was constructed on the same principle as a bottle capper or the Sinclair neck-sizing and seating press, but is much stouter than the former and noticeably stouter than the latter. You can raise and lower the headstock to accommodate different lengths of cases. The rack and pinion action is very smooth.

The shell holder was originally a piece of flat stock with a U-shaped cutout to allow the shell to slide under the ram. I drilled and bored a thicker piece of stock to hold a modern snap-in shell holder, and made a removable decapping pin that fits in the hole. I decap black powder fouled .45-70s and .44-40s with the tool; haven't done much more with it.

It's a necksize only proposition, and Pacific dropped it when they came out with their C-Press, but it looks Cool, anyway.

3006guns
10-19-2017, 06:58 AM
Good find and a real piece of history!

LUBEDUDE
10-19-2017, 01:05 PM
Looks like that may have been an inspiration for the Potter Gem single stage press, though a different drive mechanism.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171019/9627fe1d48ce7d81a35f426798e4f2be.heic