PDA

View Full Version : Buckshot...rear Sights

StarMetal
11-18-2005, 12:36 PM
Rick,

You said you weren't familiar with the T38 rear sight, heres a pic of it and the second pic is of the T38 as compared to the Mauser. I would of course cut that ladder down some on the T38 as it doesn't need to be that long. The T38 is one inch shorter overall then the Mauser.

Joe

http://www.hunt101.com/watermark.php?file=500/7385T38.JPG

http://www.hunt101.com/watermark.php?file=500/7385Both.JPG

Buckshot
11-19-2005, 09:30 AM
.............Okay, so what is it you're wanting to do, and with what? You said in your PM that you'd cut the Turk's base down?

................Buckshot

StarMetal
11-19-2005, 11:49 AM
Buckshot,

No, no, no...I'm working with a 1908 Brazilian, not a Turk. Your Turk has a rear sight reminiscent of the orginal German 98 Mauser. It's three four pieces, the base, the spring, the ramp, and the ladder. Mine is like latter sights. Doesn't have as much a ramp and the ramp is integral with the base.

I was asking would you use the Jap rear sight, because it's shorter, when turning the rifle into a carbine like you did your Turk.

Joe

Buckshot
11-20-2005, 08:22 AM
Buckshot,

No, no, no...I'm working with a 1908 Brazilian, not a Turk. Your Turk has a rear sight reminiscent of the orginal German 98 Mauser. It's three four pieces, the base, the spring, the ramp, and the ladder. Mine is like latter sights. Doesn't have as much a ramp and the ramp is integral with the base.

I was asking would you use the Jap rear sight, because it's shorter, when turning the rifle into a carbine like you did your Turk.

Joe

Yeah, yeah, Brazilian. I don't know why I said Turk. Probably just got done reading Jr's Turk thread. I suppose you could use the Jap so long as the base went on the barrel. Doesn't look to have a ramp. Looks like the '91 Argentine rear sight.

Why don'tcha just section out the Brazilian's and then file the ramp back to a pleasing shape? Then cut a suitable piece out of the ladder back by the back end and weld it back together? Remember with a shorter rear sight you're going to have a widow through the handguard that's too big.

Rather then buying a carbine one and trying to make it fit, if you were very carefull you could make 2 cuts back at a very shallow angle, across the handguard and through the window. The wood strips on either side are pretty thin. Then drill matching holes and use a couple toothpicks coated in epoxy to stick in 2 of the hole's. Coat the ends in epoxy and put the handguard back together. The shallow angle of the cuts wouldn't show up any grain mismatch so bad.

So are you going to make this look like the M1922 Brazilian Carbine? I think Columbia had a similar one chambered to 30-06 with a 17.65" barrel. After it got done blowing your eardrums out and wrenching your shoulder off, the muzzle flash would fry your mustache. Fun rifle.

................Buckshot

StarMetal
11-20-2005, 04:06 PM
Buckshot,

I done already sectioned the Brazilian sight and migwelded it back together. I'm ahead of you on the handguard having a larger window and was going to section it as you said but I believe it's not so thin that it would require toothpicks, I would thinking more like 1/8 in dowels.

The Jap sight is like Argie, I've said that quite a few times to you in pm's. That was the only way I could describe it to you,then the pic here. Only thing I don't like about tha type of sight is you have put the ladder up, then adjust the sight, whereas on a Mauser you can adjust it and leave it alone. By the way the Jap sight fits the Mausr barrel too. Remember they are or were the World's greatest imitators.

I'm going to lower the front sight ramp too. Shortening the barrel like that and not adjusting the sights will result in the rifle shooting extremely low as you mentioned to me yours did.

I may even tap and drill it for a scope and bend the bolt handle.

I don't think I have to worry about too much muzzle blast from a 7x57, especially with cast loads.

Joe