PDA

View Full Version : What is comercial hard cast made of?

brewer12345
10-17-2017, 11:20 PM
Before I learned about alloys and the benefits of lower BHNs for most applications (certainly what I tend to shoot), I bought some commercial hard cast bullets. I have not used any of them and I am glad, since I likely would have had poor results and lots of leading. Since I have no intention of loading these things, it occurs to me that perhaps they could be used to harden up too-soft alloy in the casting pot. Anyone know what Berry's and others use in their hard cast alloys? I assume lots of antimony since that would be the most cost effective way to do it.

Grmps
10-18-2017, 02:01 AM
92-2-6 lead-tin-antimony

Lloyd Smale
10-18-2017, 05:23 AM
i don't know about all of them but cast performance bullets used to use a alloy similar to ww and water dropped it to get hardness and to allow the bullets spitting out of the casting machines to be able to land in water to prevent damage from them hitting each other if you just dropped into a container.

sqlbullet
10-18-2017, 03:09 PM
I imagine the really big boys order an alloy that they like. Most of the "smaller" guys I know that sell at regional gun shows use whatever lead they can scrounge and then add tin/antimony as needed to get hard bullets when water dropped. I know at least one regional shop in the mountain west that uses a good bit of isotope lead.

dragon813gt
10-18-2017, 05:15 PM
It's right on one of the biggest's site: http://missouribullet.com/results.php?category=12