PDA

View Full Version : Shooting Lever Guns of the Old West

Just Duke
08-11-2008, 08:35 AM
Anybody read this book by Mike Venturino?

Shooting Buffalo Guns also?

corvette8n
08-11-2008, 10:30 AM
I've read the lever guns, what do you want to know/

KCSO
08-11-2008, 11:06 AM
Good boooks and well woth the price.

6pt-sika
08-11-2008, 11:30 AM
I own both books and many of my loads have been derived from the Lever book [smilie=1:

Mike Venturino
08-11-2008, 04:55 PM
I've read both of them in detail. What do you need to know? (This is meant as a joke!)

MLV

scrapcan
08-11-2008, 05:00 PM
There you go, right from the horse's mouth so to speak. Both are good books in my opinion

6pt-sika
08-11-2008, 06:08 PM
I've read both of them in detail. What do you need to know? (This is meant as a joke!)

MLV

You're the guy I need to give a hard time :-D

If it hadn't been for reading your stuff in Shooting Times and your two books I wouldn't have eighty some Marlin's now [smilie=1:

EDK
08-11-2008, 06:41 PM
Send Mike a check or money order and get both these books....H---, get all four! AND have him autograph them! I have them on the book shelf in the living room and the using copies of Buffalo Rifles and Lever Actions are in "the boys' reading room." LOL

Next year is my 5th trip to the Quigley shoot. I'd sure like to see Mike there to shake hands and sign some books for his readers.

:Fire::cbpour::redneck:

45nut
08-11-2008, 06:56 PM
You're the guy I need to give a hard time :-D

If it hadn't been for reading your stuff in Shooting Times and your two books I wouldn't have eighty some Marlin's now [smilie=1:

Yeah,, and they call ME an enabler!

9.3X62AL
08-11-2008, 07:01 PM
Yeah, right--it's all the fault of MLV.......and Jack O'Connor..........Col. Cooper...........Skeeter Skelton. Enablers, one and all.

Can't thank ya enough.

Just Duke
08-11-2008, 07:58 PM
Wow! The author on his own thread. Thank's for the reply Mike and a big welcome.
Can you give a a link to purchase yous books? Or a business email?
Glad I spelled your name right. lol
Can you list all your books here Mike?

waksupi
08-11-2008, 08:36 PM
Good to see you here, Mike.
I have intended buying both, but the local place that carries them in Kalispell, also carries old guns. It seems like a gun always ends up in my hand on the way out the door, instead of the books!

Mike Venturino
08-11-2008, 08:38 PM
Duke: My four books (so far) are SHOOTING COLT SINGLE ACTIONS (1995), SHOOTING SIXGUNS OF THE OLD WEST (1997), SHOOTING LEVER GUNS OF THE OLD WEST (1999) and SHOOTING BUFFALO RIFLES OF THE OLD WEST (2002)

I don't want to step on the toes of this websites owner(s) by self-advertising here, but you can contact me at mlvduke@imt.net for prices and address, etc.

I'm also glad that I've helped the American economy by causing some of you guys to buy more guns. That means I'm a true patriot!

My best to all.
Mike V.

No_1
08-11-2008, 08:47 PM
Welcome to the board Mike. I have enjoyed reading your stuff. Thanks for sharing your talent and knowledge. I am sure your presence will be an asset to our board.

Robert

wonderwolf
08-11-2008, 09:46 PM
I keep looking for a copy of "Shooting buffalo rifles of the old west" but it's always seems like books for class cost just that much more and its just out of reach.

Good to see you here Mike. I really enjoy reading your stuff!

6pt-sika
08-11-2008, 10:30 PM
SHOOTING LEVER GUNS OF THE OLD WEST (1999) and SHOOTING BUFFALO RIFLES OF THE OLD WEST (2002)

Do you possibly have these two in hardbound instead of paperback ?

My two are already starting to have pages falling out :roll:

ktw
08-11-2008, 11:39 PM
Buffalo Arms appears to have them, both hardbound ("Buffalo Guns", anyway) and softbound.
http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/2,31.html

-ktw

MtGun44
08-12-2008, 12:04 AM
Good book, lots of good info. Well worth it.

Hello, Mike. Like you stuff. Welcome to the friendliest spot on the web. And, yeah, I have spent some
serious change due to some of your books. Like a near mint .50-70 1871 RB, and a few more that I
just "had" to have. . . . .

No regrets. ;-)

Bill

Just Duke
08-12-2008, 05:16 PM
Duke: My four books (so far) are SHOOTING COLT SINGLE ACTIONS (1995), SHOOTING SIXGUNS OF THE OLD WEST (1997), SHOOTING LEVER GUNS OF THE OLD WEST (1999) and SHOOTING BUFFALO RIFLES OF THE OLD WEST (2002)

I don't want to step on the toes of this websites owner(s) by self-advertising here, but you can contact me at mlvduke@imt.net for prices and address, etc.

I'm also glad that I've helped the American economy by causing some of you guys to buy more guns. That means I'm a true patriot!

My best to all.
Mike V.

Thanks Mike I just sent you a contact email. I have now heard here and other inquiries about the net that your books are a real good read and a great addition to a book collectors legacy.

EMC45
08-12-2008, 06:55 PM
Welcome aboard Mike. And yes you have caused me to spend money as well. From wheelguns to milsurps.[smilie=1:

KirkD
08-15-2008, 11:51 AM
I own 'Shooting Lever Guns of the Old West', 'Shooting Six Guns of the Old West', and 'Shooting Buffalo Guns of the Old West' (hope I got the titles about right, I'm doing this from memory). Not only have I read them, I have just about wore them out. All three books have an excellent mix of solid, actual information along with a good supply of photos. I like photos. I'd heartily recommend all three. There are many sections in these books that I have read many times simply for the enjoyment.

EDK
08-17-2008, 01:03 AM
I bought TWO copies of Leverguns and Buffalo Rifles...my primary interests... and singles of the other two. Mike was gracious enough to autograph all of them. The working copies are getting a little worn, but they are a good reference source.

I received Buffalo Rifles after sitting in the hospital in February 03. The following October saw me in Big Timber with a check in my pocket. A 50/90 isn't the most practical caliber, but I know someone else who wanted a BIG 50 for his first SHARPS...Right Mike?

Get John Taffin's books too! Elmer Keith, Bill Jordan, Jeff Cooper and Skeeter Skelton are gone...signed copies of their books would be priceless. John and Mike are the top writers of this generation.

:Fire::cbpour::redneck:

6pt-sika
08-17-2008, 01:16 AM
A 50/90 isn't the most practical caliber, but I know someone else who wanted a BIG 50 for his first SHARPS...Right Mike?

Count me the third then [smilie=1:

WBH
08-18-2008, 02:05 PM
FOURTH here. John King did a great job building mine off an original Remington roller. At 16# with a GM #5 barrel it is a pleasure to shoot. The 650gr bullets do move you back a bit though.

PS Hi Mike......welcome aboard!

6pt-sika
08-18-2008, 02:37 PM
The 650gr bullets do move you back a bit though!

I have both the Lyman and RCBS 500 + moulds ! I think those two are way big enough for me ! As it is they eat a fair supply of lead when I cast !

WBH
08-18-2008, 02:51 PM
I have quite a few .50 cal moulds from 348gr to the "monster" 650gr. Most of my shooting is with the RCBS 500gr boolit out to 400 yards. I only bother with the 650 at 600+ yards.

It is a bit much just for "plinking" It is a beautiful mould though, made by Paul Jones.

Just Duke
11-27-2008, 04:28 PM
I threw caution to the wind per kudos from others towards Mike Venturino's books and picked up all of them in his series.
I can say they are well researched and you can tell he has the same passion as us for Lever Guns, Single Action Pistols and BP Buffalo Rifles. I just finished reading all of the books and can advise these as a good read and accurate data along with his many years of life experience throwing lead down range.

Junior1942
11-27-2008, 05:32 PM
His wife is also a dang good photographer.