PDA

View Full Version : Steyr '95 trigger pull... any help out there?

Timbo
08-11-2008, 06:17 AM
I just received a tiger-striped beeeutie from AIM; much better than I expected. I've got clips from Gun-parts, Hornady brass from Buffalo, dies from Midway and a Lee .329 mould I've already been using in a Kropatschek. (GREAT shooting rifle by the way.)

However, before I put a round down range, I've got to do something about the trigger. Even after tearing it down, de-cosmoling, polishing and greasing, the trigger pull can STILL cause you to have momentary incontinence whilst straining to pull the trigger...

I'm sure I could lighten it, but I thought I would ask if anyone has done this first and can offer any advice/warning before I have to re-invent the wheel. I've done lots of triggers, etc. so this would not be new territory for me.

Thanks in advance to anyone who has input!

Timbo

Bret4207
08-11-2008, 08:19 AM
Word has it beyond polishing and using a good lube your stuck. I'm kucky as my '95 has a fair trigger. I think Buckshot has worked on them a bit.

DanM
08-12-2008, 10:39 AM
Here is a link to an article on the M95 trigger:
http://www.ryngate.org/M95/spring.html
This guy recomends a replacement spring that will take off a couple of pounds pull weight. He seems to have done his homework. This spring is on my wish list. He says that you have to buy 5 for a minimum order from this company. If you deceide to pop for the 5, I would love to buy one of them from you.
BTW, you will be lucky indeed if the Lee .329" boolit shoots well in your M95. I use the Lee .338" mold with .338" checks sized down to .334". Now that is a good shooting boolit in my M95.
Got any pictures yet?

MtGun44
08-13-2008, 01:45 AM
they used to sell a little part that clamped on the sear lever and
could be adjusted to eliminate the first stage of the two stage
trigger, and further to reduce the sear engagement. I have one that
I bought in the late 60s in my Chilean M95 and it makes the trigger
very nice. I have no idea if they are still around, but it was an
inexpensive and fairly simple steel part.

Bill

DanM
08-16-2008, 12:42 PM
While drifting off last night I had a thought (dream?) about changing out the very heavy firing pin spring for a lighter one on my M95. Shows you what I am thinking about. My thoughts are going like this: A lot of the trigger effort on these Styers comes from having to move the firing pin back against that heavy spring before release. Mine moves back maybe 1/16" or more before releasing. That has to add a lot to the trigger pull weight. I think the stock milspec spring may be overkill with our modern primers. A lighter FP spring may work just fine. Might reduce trigger pull weight and reduce cocking effort as a bonus. The only candidate spring I have is the M1 carbine recoil spring. The M95 FP spring looks a lot like a shortened, thicker version of the M1car recoil spring. I will give it a try and let yall know how it works....

Bret4207
08-17-2008, 10:09 AM
There is a lever arrangement available now that is supposed to lighten pulls. Mounts externally on the trigger. Might be worth a try.

Timbo
08-18-2008, 09:41 AM
It seems the polishing did help...a bit. That or I'm just getting used to it. I may do a mod on the trigger spring; thanks for the web link. I don't think the trigger lever would be legal for competition would it? If so, I'd give it a try!

With apologies to all you straight pull shooters out there, I'm finding this Steyr much easier to rack than my very rackable k31. Maybe being a lefty has something to do with it. AND, using the unsized Lee Hung bullet with hard lead and 10gr. of Unique I'm getting excellent accuracy. No soot on the cases, no leading in the bore, no purplish shoulder bruises;just nice small groups downrange. I like that lots 'n lots.

I specifically bought this to shoot our CMP matches. I think it will be a lot of fun!

Thanks for your input folks!
Regards,
Timbo