PDA

View Full Version : Herters model 3 improved ( herters rock chucker)

salpal48
10-16-2017, 08:58 PM
In the late 1960 and 70's RCBS dominated the reloading Market with there improved linkage. Other companies Tried to keep up most Failed.
Herters saw the potential and Came out with his own version. . This is a seldom seen version came out Late 70's. . This Version has The new snap in shell holder not the traditional Herters
To most Collectors Called "Herters Rock Chucker." this was mounted on my Bench for a while but now It is Resting.
In RCBS terms It is Crude, But has a place in Collecting.
I would like to share some Photo's Of this Item. It does make very good ammo. and is a strong machine.
Thanks for Looking

Pressman
10-17-2017, 06:03 AM
Sal, glad you brought that one out to show. I don't have it or is twin, there are two different designs. I do have one someone has repainted gray and it's really ugly.
Those presses were made for about a year, the last year Herter's was in business and are shown in the catalog painted red. If a red one exists it would be a true gem.

Ken

salpal48
10-17-2017, 07:54 AM
The press works well but You cam tell The quality has slipped. The flat part the mounts to the bench Has a Belly in it similar to the Super O.
After mounting It does do a good job
Sal

3006guns
10-19-2017, 07:01 AM
One thing I noticed right away.......the casting that surrounds the ram is REALLY beefy. You always got your money's worth in cast iron with a Herters.............

Pressman
10-19-2017, 09:58 AM
This is, I think, the first Model 3 Improved, it does not appear in any catalogs however. The catalogs show a different press that was also made that has much improved design and workmanship. It appears to be every bit as good as the Rockchucker. I don't have a real good picture of it unfortunately, though I know who owns it and where it is.
Ken

LUBEDUDE
10-19-2017, 01:16 PM
Thanks for busting that bad boy out Sal.

gbehrman
04-30-2019, 01:32 PM
HerterS always let you know you were getting the veery best