PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using a scout scope on a TC pistol

GARD72977
10-15-2017, 09:40 AM
I have not shot my TC's in years. Getting a little intrested again. I was thinking of trying the Burris scout scope with BDC. I really on shoot these from the bench.

I have seen a lot of rifle scopes on thesebutdont really care for the idea.

Three-Fifty-Seven
10-15-2017, 10:02 AM

Dale53
10-15-2017, 10:30 AM
I have a couple of TC Contender frames and several different barrels. I shoot my Contenders offhand, so a low powered scope is my preference. These days with the proliferation of relatively inexpensive Red Dot sights, that would be my preference, now. In fact, I put my money where my mouth is and nearly all of my "mostly shot" revolvers have Red Dot sights installed and with my aging eyesight, they have truly been a Godsend! Red Dots work extremely well on both the range and in the field. The ONLY downside, is that they require batteries. I get a full season of battery life on one battery IF I remember to turn the Red Dot off when finished. If I don't, then the battery is good for about three days[smilie=1:.

However, when hunting seriously, it is simple to just put a new battery in for every day as a precaution. If you buy the batteries carefully, you can get them for less than a dollar a piece. I got mine from Amazon Prime - not only a good price, but delivered to the door. Or, you can find them locally for as much as $3-4 each - your choice.

I have a number of Simmons multi reticule Red Dots that cost less than $50.00 each. The Simmons technicians that I talked to at the NRA Convention told me that they work perfectly well for up to and including the .44 Magnum revolvers. The heavy hitters, a .454's recoil will destroy them in short order. Mine on a variety of calibers (all under .44 Mag in recoil) have been extremely reliable. Tens of thousands of shots with no problems. The Ultra Dots will take heavy recoil without a problem. That's what I have on my heavy hitters. They run, bought carefully, something over $200. Still a bargain.

FWIW
Dale53

bdicki
10-15-2017, 11:01 AM
I'm using a Burris FastFire III on 2 of my Encores.

str8wal
10-15-2017, 12:15 PM
Short barreled Contenders are fine with typical handgun scopes, but with longer barrels I like to support the forend with my off hand and the eye relief of LER scopes won't allow me to do this. I found a 3-9x rifle scope with 6" of eye relief on low power which works great for this purpose. The heaviest kicker I use one on is a 7-30 Waters though. On anything more powerful I'd consider a scout scope to get a little more margin for error.

GARD72977
10-15-2017, 09:19 PM
I have a few Burris hand gun scopes. Just thinking getting a little closer and having a BDC might work from the bench.

I have a 15" 6mm PPC so no hunting with it. Just thinking about something different

Dryball
10-17-2017, 01:49 AM
take a hard look at Holosun mini's. If you forget to turn it off it will shut of automatically after a certain amount of time. I've had mine for over a year and haven't changed the 2032 yet.

LUCKYDAWG13
10-17-2017, 07:42 AM
I have this on my Encore 454 with a 13" barrel https://www.midwayusa.com/product/264976/bushnell-elite-3500-handgun-scope-2-6x-32mm-multi-x-reticle-matte

MT Gianni
10-17-2017, 05:27 PM
I find with a single "cross" stick and resting the forearm against my wrist and the stick the eye relief is fine with my guns. The shortest contender bbl I shoot is 10", the longest 14" in handguns.

HABCAN
10-19-2017, 04:28 PM
I have both amazon-cheap red dots and IER scopes on Contender barrels and they all perform to satisfaction.