PDA

View Full Version : Dismantle BP 45-70 rounds?

JesterGrin_1
08-10-2008, 06:21 PM
I have 65 rounds of 45-70 with Black Powder and 535Gr Postell boolits. What is the best way to take these down as I no longer have anything to shoot them in? I do plan to purchase a Marlin in 45-70 but there is no way the 535Gr Postell Boolit will fit a Marlin lol.

I did think about chucking them up in my lathe and cutting them to the correct OCL that will fit a marlin with a slight taper but I am not sure if this is a good idea lol.

Thank You in Advance.

e15cap
08-10-2008, 06:56 PM
I just stick them in a shell holder and then raise the ram till the lead is above the press, grab with a pliers and lower the ram. Best Roger

JesterGrin_1
08-10-2008, 07:08 PM
I just stick them in a shell holder and then raise the ram till the lead is above the press, grab with a pliers and lower the ram. Best Roger

Now that is a good idea. Better than the Kenetics or however you spell it hammer lol. :mrgreen:

JesterGrin_1
08-10-2008, 11:16 PM
Okay now that I have the BOOLITS out and have been picking out the compressed black powder which is not fun lol. Can I just de prime the cases as you would used primer cases?

Sorry never had to take apart a loaded black powder round.

08-11-2008, 12:13 AM
Yep,
The best tool is a universal depriming die. That way you can better feel the pin push the primer out. A regular sizing die with pin will work but maybe less feel. Go slow. Wear safety glasses and drape a towel over the press. The chance of firing a live primer during depriming is pretty remote if done carefully but the precautions are so easy no reason to be unsafe. Then just need to account for the popped out live primers.

An added precaution would be to set the cases mouth up then put a drop of Kroil in each, let sit overnight then deprime. Then the cases could be washed in soapy water and dried.

floodgate
08-11-2008, 12:16 AM
JesterGrin_1:

There is some risk in depriming cases; a Lee or RCBS decap-only die in a single-station press will do the job, but wear safety goggles and gloves, operate the press slowly and gently, and be sure to catch the primers and dispose of them safely; they aren't really reusable. I've done it a few times when other methods were not available, but I'm always a bit goosey when doing so. DON'T try it with staked-in military primers!

It's actually easier to just "pop" the primed cases in your rifle (being SURE there is none of that caked BP left in there!); but if you do that, clean the barrel thoroughly afterward - as you would with corrosive ammo - since the primers alone, undiluted by powder residue, may leave a corrosive deposit.

Floodgate

EDIT: PS: 405's idea of draping a heavy towel over the press is a good idea - I forgot to mention that. Fg

JesterGrin_1
08-11-2008, 01:43 AM
Thank You so much guys. I do have a universal depriming die thank goodness so I can feel the primer and not resize the case. I also have a face shield of which I use for grinding and feel it would be better than goggles.

I have learned one thing. I never wish to go through this again lol. :)

missionary5155
08-11-2008, 09:23 AM
I have been depriming for years to get componets (primers)... I use whichever sizing die will accept the parent case to be deprimed. Extend the deprimer assembly to max length and lower handle slowly.... they will pop right out. Have never had one "fire" and so far only one "salvaged" primer refused to fire (Remington) out of at least 200+

Freightman
08-11-2008, 10:28 AM
I have been depriming for years to get componets (primers)... I use whichever sizing die will accept the parent case to be deprimed. Extend the deprimer assembly to max length and lower handle slowly.... they will pop right out. Have never had one "fire" and so far only one "salvaged" primer refused to fire (Remington) out of at least 200+
I use the primers for plinking ammo, never had one not fire, was given over 1000 primed cases that I had no use for couldn't see throwing away so I de-primed and used them with good results. Had one go off with my hand over the case throat have had a lot of fireworks burn more. Just wear eye protection skin will heal eyes will not.
Sold the 1000 + cases for $50 used the primers = $30 + net gain $80, mis-fires 0. I can't aford to throw away the money and with reasonable care you can have a supply of primers. If you think oil or *Kroll* kills primers, go to the boxotruth and see there results, after soaking only about 10% were killed.

08-11-2008, 12:54 PM
The demil arsenals use an acid bath to kill primers. The Kroil will kill some and ease the force necessary to deprime on most. The opposite thinking would be to add some super glue to the primer and wear safety glasses 90% of the time. :confused:

Just Duke
08-17-2008, 09:04 PM
Send them to me after my rifle arrive and I will shoot them for you and send the brass back. ;)

JesterGrin_1
08-17-2008, 10:06 PM
Send them to me after my rifle arrive and I will shoot them for you and send the brass back. ;)

There were lots of people that wanted them but I would have had to ship them and for just a few BOOLITS the Hazmat fee is out of this world. But they are now taken down and now being cleaned to enable me to reload them for my 45-70 Marlin SS GG. :)

JeffinNZ
08-17-2008, 11:22 PM
Gatling gun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TAWILDCATT
09-12-2008, 11:09 AM
primed cases do not take a hasmat charge.look in any cat and they will send primed cases with out trhe $20 charge.:coffee:[smilie=1: