PDA

View Full Version : Advice on places to move to..

hithard
10-15-2017, 01:37 AM
Myself, wife, and two very little ones are looking to relocate. Politics,taxes,safety, politeness, and many others things are issues are not in alignment with our beliefs.

We are looking for community values, neighbors don't charge each other for help. I'm sure you get the rest.

I'm an electrician, can handle residential, commercial, and industrial. Have never been out of work. I spent the last few years running maintenance crews a refinery.

Not looking for a big city, or a real small town. Just a nice place to raise our kids, and enjoy the outdoors and share with others what life has to offer.

Thanks for any input.

Dennis Eugene
10-15-2017, 04:12 AM
Craig,Alaska.

marlin39a
10-15-2017, 05:12 AM
Prescott, Arizona area. There is going to be a lot of home building here soon. Your line of work will be in demand.

FISH4BUGS
10-15-2017, 06:25 AM
I would suggest New Hampshire. Any town except Durham and Portsmouth, both liberal pockets of the state. Gun friendly, no income or sales tax (although the real estate taxes are high to make up for it) and plenty of work.
Small town life is great if you want to get involved or you can stay under the radar. Volunteer fire departments in the small towns. A real sense of community.
Winters can be kind of harsh but you just take advantage of the outdoors and hike and snowshoe. We have very distinct seasons here, all five of them. Spring, summer, fall, winter and mud. Depending on where you live, there can be six seasons with tourist season. :grin:
Mountains, oceans, plenty of hunting and fishing, forests, lots of wildlife, and an overall conservative state make it a great place to live.

JBinMN
10-15-2017, 06:26 AM
I am at a loss to tell anyone where they should live, as folks desires are so different from one another most times. What might be good for one is not so good for another.

I will suggest that since you have a very useful trade & experience, that you try to contact different employers in areas that you become interested in going, to make a new home for yourself & family.

If you have been part of a nation wide elect. union, that might be something to check out also, as the union may be able to help with rates of pay, etc, as well as provide contacts so that wherever you think about going, you might have a contact with folks that already live there that can tell ya how things are before you would move there. Just as you are doing here by putting out feelers to see what folks think, the more you "network" with folks that will not lead ya astray, the more info you can make to determine the best place for you to move.

I have moved a bit over the years with my family, both while in the service & as a civilian. I have found that eventually you have to make your decision on the families terms & not so much your own. Meaning, schools for the kids that are decent in teaching, a church, if you are a churchgoer. (< - another "network" if you choose), etc.. Distance from what you & the family like to do when not working/at school. Distance from family to visit, neighbors if ya do or do not want them nearby. Lots of variables. I will also suggest that unless you are going to buy some property that is rural, and the neighbors are a reasonable distance away, and instead are going to live in the confines of a middle size town, rent before ya buy. Meet people, learn the area. That way you have the option of finding out just how much ya like where ya chose to go. At least for a short time, 3 months, 6 mos., etc.. Gives ya more time to search around for what ya really want. Then, if you find that the town or a property just a ways up the road would have been a better place to set up home, you won't be kickin yourself in the hind end for settling for something ya locked in to, when something else was a better location & more of what ya really wanted.

I prolly could offer some more things, but I will shut up & let others share some insight for ya.
;)

I wish ya G'luck!
:)

Handloader109
10-15-2017, 07:42 AM
I'll echo jb, if you are union, then consider union state such as New Hampshire. I for one could not stand the winters. If you work hard, have good skill set, you can find work coast to coast. Good luck

myg30
10-15-2017, 08:04 AM
Morning Sir, I moved to Tennessee from NY 26 yrs ago and never regretted a day. Nashville is growing fast and the surrounding 35 mile radius. Lots of work for electricians both commercial and residential as well as industrial. I'm sure other cities and towns are growing fast here.
I would not live in the city ( Nashville)but outside area you can be as country as you want with farm land around and interstate drive to work if nessary is very reasonable. Schools are good.
No state income tax, property tax is low, gun friendly state and surrounding states for travel with firearms as they honor our CCW permits. We Never supported Al Gore !
There are some of the best hospitals here. Local volunteer fire depts, some paid city/ town depts,county EMS, Life flight if nessary.
Home to the 101st Army Airborne, Fort Campbell.
Good BBQ and southern cooking. 6 hr drive to Florida beaches. Lots of lakes,fishing, hunting.
There is still southern hospitality found even though lots of transplants here. Churches and community's are abundant. You will even find a few Catholic Churches ( lol), had to go there as mostly Baptist and Church of Christ and even the smallest towns have 3 of each !
Grown your own food, raise a few chickens or cows,let the dogs run on your property the children will love the country life!!

Mike

Tyguy95
10-15-2017, 08:49 AM
Minot ND

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

GhostHawk
10-15-2017, 08:54 AM
Well if your from Kali you probably don't want too far north.

Probably North edge of Colorado down to the border.

Decent electrician can get good work almost anywhere. As long as he knows his stuff.

Look for mid sized college towns. 20 to 60,000 people. Should be fairly quiet, good values.

As for neighbors, well you earn them as you go. You move in your a stranger. Breaking the ice is up to you. How well you fit in is going to depend on how well you fit in. And how hard you try to fit in. We moved into a very small village in 1958. 30 years later we were still the "New guys" But that is small town life for you. And we only moved 8 miles. So its not like we were foreigners.

Good luck on the search.

snowwolfe
10-15-2017, 09:41 AM
Morning Sir, I moved to Tennessee from NY 26 yrs ago and never regretted a day. Nashville is growing fast and the surrounding 35 mile radius. Lots of work for electricians both commercial and residential as well as industrial. I'm sure other cities and towns are growing fast here.
I would not live in the city ( Nashville)but outside area you can be as country as you want with farm land around and interstate drive to work if nessary is very reasonable. Schools are good.
No state income tax, property tax is low, gun friendly state and surrounding states for travel with firearms as they honor our CCW permits. We Never supported Al Gore !
There are some of the best hospitals here. Local volunteer fire depts, some paid city/ town depts,county EMS, Life flight if nessary.
Home to the 101st Army Airborne, Fort Campbell.
Good BBQ and southern cooking. 6 hr drive to Florida beaches. Lots of lakes,fishing, hunting.
There is still southern hospitality found even though lots of transplants here. Churches and community's are abundant. You will even find a few Catholic Churches ( lol), had to go there as mostly Baptist and Church of Christ and even the smallest towns have 3 of each !
Grown your own food, raise a few chickens or cows,let the dogs run on your property the children will love the country life!!

Mike

I been to 49 of our 50 states. I researched a retirement home for a year and arrived at Tennessee. You can pick a city life close to Nashville, Knoxville, or Memphis (yuck) or go rural. We live 15 miles away from two decent size towns. I'll toss some numbers out for you to think about:
vehicle registration for a year, about $24
no state income tax, no toll roads
very LOW property taxes
cheap gas
low utilities.......our house is 2,300 sq feet and our monthly electric bill in the summer is $100, and we run the AC 12-18 hours a day.
auto insurance rates are low
Best feature of all. The people! Everyone you see will wave or stop and talk to you. We been invited to family reunions, picnics, etc
deer and turkey all over the place
fantastic fishing
I could go on and on but you get the picture. My wife and I flew here to look at a chunk of land and within 2 days knew this state would be our final home. Another interesting fact is you can drive to 75% of the USA population within a 1 days drive. Lived in a lot of places and the only one both the wife and I hated was Colorado. Its a big county, different strokes for different folks.
Good luck with your search. But there is a reason why people are moving to TN in droves.

rockrat
10-15-2017, 10:29 AM
I ended up moving to Colorado, been here 26 years. thought about TN, but just too humid for my tastes, same about the hill country of Texas. Loved Virginia (family goes wayyy back there) but also the humidity thing. Same thing with Kentucky. All beautiful country, just humid.
Should have looked a bit more at TN and the Cumberland plateau, might have been a bit less humid there.
If I had to do it all over again, maybe the corner of VA near where KY and TN meet. Close to WVA also. Maybe. Do like it here. Think Snowwolfe was just on the wrong side of the mountains, on the Front Range, I am on the Western Slope.

Char-Gar
10-15-2017, 11:18 AM
Lots of places in Texas that match you needs, but there are also some that do not.

clodhopper
10-15-2017, 11:31 AM
Bozeman MT. is fast becoming the type of place you wish to escape.

bedbugbilly
10-15-2017, 12:40 PM
I lived in lower Michigan all my life - rural on a farm but the village closest was about 2,000 people. I used to know everyone, now I know very few - the township swells to about 60,000 in the summer due to all the lakes we have in the area. I know what you mean by your search for where people are friendly, good values, willing to help each other out, etc. We now winter south of Tucson and I have come to like the area very much - I guess you could say I don't like "change" but we have made quite a few friends here in AZ as well and all are friendly.

The nice thing about the United States is that there are so many places that a person could love to call "home". Personally, I have no use for the politics and attitude of the west nor east coast who want to run everything. The midwest though, a lot of what you are looking for still exists - you'll just have to decide for yourself where you want to land and fit in. You have a good trade and will always have work.

I'm of the age that I often think of how life was back in the 1950s when I was growing up - people went to church on Sunday, we had a parade and memorial service on the town square to honor those who paid the supreme sacrifice, we celebrated the 4th of July and neighbors helped neighbors out. When there was a death in the community, folks made food, etc. and took it to the family as they had enough to worry about without having to cook. We had a volunteer fire department - I ended up serving on it for many years - and when there was an emergency, people helped their neighbors. Sure, it wasn't "Utopia" - but it was a good way to live. Above all, people had "respect" for each other and there was non of the political hogwash that goes on today. I guess what I'm saying is, if you find a community that offers many of those values, you will find a "home".

Look at the practical things as well - expenses, income, taxes, license fees, insurance, etc. as those things have a lot of effect on happiness. And look at the schools your children would be going to as far as the amount of parent involvement,what they are teaching and the values they have.

Good luck to you and I hope you and your family can find a good place to call "home" which is more in line with the values that you have and that you want your children to have.

quilbilly
10-15-2017, 12:53 PM
Wait to see where Amazon announces where its new semi-headquarters will be and find a town about 30 miles away. Business journals say 50,000 new jobs there and it will more than likely be closer to 75,000 as Amazon phases out of the cesspool known as Seattle. Secondary jobs will multiply that 75K number by 3. Bezos may be a hard core Marxist but he will likely locate in a place not dominated by fellow travelers like Seattle.

MyFlatline
10-15-2017, 05:47 PM
A few questions shy of an answer. Cold or Hot climate,,maybe in between. Is Hunting an important issue?, Others have asked about Unions. I have toyed with the same things, as in moving. I have not been able to find the answers for me yet. I'm a Contractor with a good client base, that's hard to walk away from..

Best of luck

AbitNutz
10-15-2017, 06:32 PM
I think it may be useful to do this in reverse. Don't look for the state to move to. Make a list of states not to move to. That will narrow your list and then you can decide between just a few...

smokeywolf
10-15-2017, 06:34 PM
My situation is far different from yours, but my reasons for leaving Kali are the same.

Arizona is nice; good weather in the North. Although I really like Texas and have nothing but the greatest regard for Texans, I would shy away from all states that border Mexico. I really like Idaho and Utah, but Mrs. smokeywolf doesn't want that much Winter and worries about the Yellowstone volcano. Also, I can get more for my money in the Midwest or Southern states. Arkansas ended up being our number one pick (not the eastern edge, cuz of the New Madrid Fault). Possibly the most solidly Red state in the Country and likeliest to stay that way for many decades.

BOSCHLOPER
10-15-2017, 06:46 PM
Let me join FISH4BUGS in inviting you to New Hampshire. We moved here in 1999 and have loved every minute of it. The kids were in middle school when we came, they are grown and gone now. They went thru public schools, which we found to be as good as anywhere else. Gun friendly state, as are our neighbors Maine and Vermont (Mass. now so much). The wife and I were both raised in San Diego and moved across the country in 5 steps. We have now run into the other ocean and are done moving. We love the seasons here, fall color is at it's peak right now, snow before you know it.

Hickory
10-15-2017, 07:14 PM
Texas, Florida and California are or will be rebuilding.
You shouldn't have a hard time finding work. Now that I think about it, you might want to cross California off the list.

smokeywolf
10-15-2017, 07:45 PM
Texas, Florida and California are or will be rebuilding.
You shouldn't have a hard time finding work. Now that I think about it, you might want to cross California off the list.

Hickory, he's in Kali; he's trying to get out.

MT Chambers
10-15-2017, 07:52 PM
Too bad you can't move to Kanada, we only take in Muslims with criminal records, sorry!

BNE
10-15-2017, 07:59 PM
Tennessee, or South Carolina, but I am biased. Mild winters, summer is not horrid, people are great. Land is reasonable. An electrician will do well in either.

largom
10-15-2017, 08:11 PM
I will second or third Tenn. Moved here 4 yrs. ago from Maryland. Cost of living is one of lowest in nation. Great schools, low taxes [no state income tax] great people
but stay away from Nashville and other LARGE cities [true in most states]. I live 50 mi. from Nashville and 3 miles from a small town. Deer, Turkey and Bobcat in my back yard. Son-in-law [moved here also] is an electrician also and has plenty of work.

MaryB
10-15-2017, 09:09 PM
SW MN is still small town friendly but 5 months of COLD and snow are a downside! If you like temp extremes this is the place! +100f to -31f!

charles1990
10-16-2017, 12:53 AM
Glad to see no one suggested Wyoming. Kalifornians have kalifornicated OR, WA, CO, AZ and are working on MT.

Wish they would secede so we could put up a wall !

Lloyd Smale
10-16-2017, 05:05 AM
even though I HATE the green bay packers, Green Bay WI is right up your alley. Its big enough to be called a city but still the people are almost like a larger town. Theres good hunting and fishing very close by and winters are not to bad. Summers are great without the high heat and humidity of the south. Crime and drug rates are low for a city to boot. Great place if you want a smaller city to raise kids.

Idaho45guy
10-16-2017, 05:11 AM
Prescott, Arizona area. There is going to be a lot of home building here soon. Your line of work will be in demand.

Might as well; the rest of California has already moved there... I lived in the area for about 7 years. Lived in Chino Valley, then Dewey, then Prescott Valley where I bought a home. Californians love it there as it is better than California, but still full of crime and jerks. I saw road rage every single day. Couldn't drive to Home Depot without seeing somebody lose their mind in traffic. Had a suicide by cop three houses down and a homeless guy murdered four blocks away.

Great weather and great outdoors, though. I loved gold prospecting and exploring the old mines. Can't beat that area for outdoor activities. Just couldn't stand the people.

Moved back to where I grew up about four years ago and love it! I've seen two cases of road rage in four years...

EMC45
10-16-2017, 09:54 AM
I will second or third Tenn. Moved here 4 yrs. ago from Maryland. Cost of living is one of lowest in nation. Great schools, low taxes [no state income tax] great people
but stay away from Nashville and other LARGE cities [true in most states]. I live 50 mi. from Nashville and 3 miles from a small town. Deer, Turkey and Bobcat in my back yard. Son-in-law [moved here also] is an electrician also and has plenty of work.

I'll fourth it. Moved here 2 years ago from Ga and like it a lot. No state tax, and low cost of living. Folks are polite and keep to themselves. I have lived in NJ, MS, GA and now TN. I like it here.

There is work both Fed and private sector all over the state.

2ndAmendmentNut
10-16-2017, 11:05 AM
Texas. Just about any city that isn’t Austin. No state income tax. Homeschool friendly. I’m partial to the Hill Country area around Bandera and Kerrville. I thought Gonzales county was beautiful too on the couple of occasions I have been there. West Texas is also nice if you like 85mph speed limits and 4hrs of nothing. Property tax and sales tax are both high though. Always thought Kentucky and Tennessee were beautiful, might have to look into their state income taxes, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

frkelly74
10-16-2017, 01:16 PM
well you should come to Michigan. We need more reasonable people here! Houses are cheap here in Saginaw and there is work for a good electrical guy. Michigan is home school friendly but there is a state income tax and there is registration of hand guns. Fall colors are coming soon.

30calflash
10-16-2017, 01:24 PM
Wait to see where Amazon announces where its new semi-headquarters will be and find a town about 30 miles away. Business journals say 50,000 new jobs there and it will more than likely be closer to 75,000 as Amazon phases out of the cesspool known as Seattle. Secondary jobs will multiply that 75K number by 3. Bezos may be a hard core Marxist but he will likely locate in a place not dominated by fellow travelers like Seattle.

It's said that Ct is vying for the Amazon HQ, if so you would still NOT want to move to Ct. Trust me!

quilbilly
10-16-2017, 01:39 PM
It's said that Ct is vying for the Amazon HQ, if so you would still NOT want to move to Ct. Trust me!

The announcement is supposed to come out this week.

texasnative46
10-16-2017, 01:43 PM
hithard,

Inasmuch as several people have suggested TEXAS, I'll go a step farther & suggest most anyplace SOUTH of a line drawn from Livingston, through San Marcos & thence west over to the western TX border.
(While I was raised in Northeast TX/Camp County, you'll find the weather nicer down south of Austin. = My part of TX is frigid in the wintertime & the Summers are just as HOT as south TX is.)

yours, tex

Tom W.
10-16-2017, 02:56 PM
If we win the lottery, I'd like to move to East Tennessee or Western North Carolina. I moved from upstate NY to Alabama In 1972, with a short and horrible stop in Pensacola for three months. I fell in love with the GSMNP some years ago when my wife took me to Gatlinburg for my birthday. As much as I love Alabama it wouldn't take much to get me to spend the last few years of my life up there. I'm pretty sure Dollywood can use electricians.

308Jeff
10-16-2017, 03:19 PM

I'd LOVE to live in Prescott, but I'm afraid that it won't be long before it's bigger than I'd prefer. Add in there are a LOT of Liberal CA folks moving there.

GOPHER SLAYER
10-16-2017, 03:37 PM
Glad to see no one suggested Wyoming. Kalifornians have kalifornicated OR, WA, CO, AZ and are working on MT.

Wish they would secede so we could put up a wall !

As I have stated on this site before, immigrants from California did not create the septic tank that is the west coast of WA, OR, city of Denver or any problem AZ may have. They all created their own. Many people retired from the phone company at the time I did and the several of the ones who moved to OR moved back to CA because of damp weather. One friend told me he was spending his pension check on doctor bills because of his wife's arthritis. They moved to Hemet, CA and the problem went away. My wife and I drove over much of the west looking for a place to move and decided to just stay in CA although we did move to a rural area but at the rate they are building houses it will not be rural long. We tried Prescott, AZ but it was 105% on Labor DAY and houses were more expensive than CA. We drove all the way across Wyoming and I must say that is the biggest nothing state in the union, at least of the ones we I have been in and that is many . It is no wonder that their population keeps falling. We drove out of Utah into Wyoming and entered the north east of South Dakota into the Black Hills and there was nothing to see in between. Also as I have stated, Californians are the best people you can have move to your state. All I have known were gun owing Republicans and were trying to get away from the Democratic nonsense that runs this state.

jeepvet
10-16-2017, 03:38 PM
I'm with 2ndamendmentnut. Central Texas. Stay at least 40 to 50 miles outside the Austin city limits and you should be fine. The Hill Country north and west of Austin is growing pretty fast. Most around here are immigrants from north of the Red River and Kali. Most from our southern border stay south of us or go on further north. Lots of great outdoor stuff year around. No pesky snow in the winter, but a good air conditioner is a must in the spring, summer and fall(and some of the winter).

hanleyfan
10-16-2017, 04:03 PM
I will say this about TN, I lived there in 1985 and loved it, had to move because of work and I went back in 2012 to visit and I could not believe the change in the area, people everywhere, at this rate TN will soon be a state to stay away from. when everyone wants to move there it soon becomes like all the other places to avoid, of course its what you want, if you like places to entertain you , places to eat on every block, and other big city conveniences than you will like it, me I don't like those things and value my privacy slow life style, I have no interest in fancy eating places or entertainment places or busy highways.

snowwolfe
10-16-2017, 06:28 PM
I will say this about TN, I lived there in 1985 and loved it, had to move because of work and I went back in 2012 to visit and I could not believe the change in the area, people everywhere, at this rate TN will soon be a state to stay away from. when everyone wants to move there it soon becomes like all the other places to avoid, of course its what you want, if you like places to entertain you , places to eat on every block, and other big city conveniences than you will like it, me I don't like those things and value my privacy slow life style, I have no interest in fancy eating places or entertainment places or busy highways.

All you need to do is live 30 miles away from Memphis, Nashville, or Knoxville and its pretty much small town USA.
Cities are cities, no matter what state you live in. 95% of them are exceeding their infrastructure and the end result is traffic jams and crowds and small lots for house.

Went2kck
10-16-2017, 06:35 PM
Kandsas City Ks is booming right now. A lot of folks seam to be moving here including businesses. Things are booming. Not sure what you do but seek job postings on line to check on the economy in wherever you want to go.

Idaho45guy
10-16-2017, 06:38 PM
As I have stated on this site before, immigrants from California did not create the septic tank that is the west coast of WA, OR, city of Denver or any problem AZ may have. They all created their own. Also as I have stated, Californians are the best people you can have move to your state. All I have known were gun owing Republicans and were trying to get away from the Democratic nonsense that runs this state.

Not sure why you think that hogwash has any merit.

I grew up in a great little town that is now the most liberal in Idaho. It suffered a massive influx of Californians in the 80's. So did Couer D' Alene, ID around the same time. In both towns, housing costs skyrocketed, as did taxes, fees, government intrusion, etc.

When I turned 18 in 1986, my dad encouraged me to buy a little fixer upper of a house in a decent neighborhood for $20k as an investment. I didn't. That same house is now going for $300k. I moved back here from AZ and couldn't afford a home in my home town. I could only afford $125k for a small fixer upper. I now live in a town of 1200 about 15 miles away.

I have dozens of horror stories of Californians moving to neighborhoods and causing problems. Most Californians have inflated egos and no common sense. My parents live on three acres in town on what is left of the family ranch. My family has lived there since the early 1900's. Horses have been there for over 100 years.

Californians moved in next door. Said they loved seeing horses out their living room window. That lasted about three months. Then they started complaining about the flies they attract. Then the smell. Then they actually complained that the horses pooped in plain sight!

They were told matter of factly that they chose to buy a home next to a horse pasture. They didn't get it. They are stupid, bossy, selfish, and want government to take care of everything for them.

If that was just one couple years ago, it would be one thing. But that's been nearly a dozen similar people over the past 30 years that have moved here from California, bought a house, then wanted my parents to get rid of their horses.

Californians are generally busybodies and passive aggressive snobs who think they are smarter and more important than the locals. I've seen it a hundred times. I've met a few folks who said they were conservatives and Christians and shared my same values. But I just did not like them. There was something about them that was off. In every case, it turned out they were from California. They are just different, and not in a good way.

rockrat
10-16-2017, 07:26 PM
Californian moved next door. Took 4 years before she waved to my wife. Drives down the road like a "Bat out of H%$#". Has horses and complains when I shoot my pellet rifle or anything and called the sheriff when my neighbor was sighting in his deer rifle as it was "bothering her horses". We live out in the country. She does pile her horse manure about 30 ft. from my fence and I get to smell her marijuana in the morning when the wind is out of the North. Now she grows marijuana (alot) and will cut off others irrigation water so she can have it to irrigate with (c'mon, open the headgate a bit so there is more water so others can have it too). We had a neighborhood get together years ago and invited her. She was 1/2 hour late and complained that we started without her (told her we do things different here) and then complained she "couldn't eat our kind of food" (BBQ, chicken enchiladas and roast + fixings). She hasn't been back.

Most people, when I tell them "She's from California" just roll their eyes and mumble "Oh, we understand now".
Flame me all you want, I am a Native Son from there, so I figure it gives me license. I do know good people out there, but the ones moving here, well, lets say, I wish they would have stayed there.

dragon813gt
10-16-2017, 07:38 PM
Kandsas City Ks is booming right now. A lot of folks seam to be moving here including businesses. Things are booming. Not sure what you do but seek job postings on line to check on the economy in wherever you want to go.

I really liked this area. Have a friend that moved there. So when I was in town for business I went to visit him. Only thing I didn't like was their tax structure. It seemed like it was all over the place. The locals I worked w/ all lived in Missouri for tax purposes.

I can live anywhere in the country as long as I'm w/in 90 minutes of an airport that's reasonable to fly out of. If KCI wasn't the complete mess that it is I would consider moving to the area.

TES
10-16-2017, 08:24 PM
Some people might slap me on the back of the head here....but Bozeman, MT (area) is a great place to raise kids....but you can't ***** about the cold or you'll get kicked out.

texasnative46
10-16-2017, 08:45 PM
Idaho45guy; rockrat,

I hear you. = I was once stationed with the Army in LA County & your comments about the residents of "KOMMIEFORNIA" are spot on, in our experience.
(My lady & I leased a good-sized piece of property with a nice house & immediately were "blessed" with "locals" calling the city/county government to complain about the "noxious" smoke/odor from our charcoal grill. = The second time that the police "came out" a SGT "strongly suggested" that we NOT grill steaks or cook BBQ outdoors.)

yours, tex

Texas by God
10-16-2017, 08:59 PM
Texas always has work. Come on.

TXGunNut
10-16-2017, 09:27 PM
Can't imagine not living in Texas but I suspect I could get by in TN. I was born in Oak Ridge, or so I've been told. ;-) I think we're going to have another Amazon fulfillment center nearby and plenty of other growth going on as well. Texas isn't for everybody and the last thing we want to hear is how you did it "back home".

dragon813gt
10-16-2017, 09:31 PM
the last thing we want to hear is how you did it "back home".

The same could be said when Texans move to other states [emoji6]

If it wasn't for people bringing their experiences and pieces of their past w/ them this country wouldn't have grown. No one wants the bad things. But bringing the good things, like cuisine is good for everyone. It's why I can get good Mexican food in PA. And yes, I've had the real thing and it stacks up. Now if only someone could figure out how to make good pizza below the Mason Dixon Line [emoji23]

texasnative46
10-16-2017, 09:38 PM
dragon813qt,

What I miss about PA is Dante & Luigi's in south Philly, cheesesteak sandwiches & the Amish/Mennonite markets, where I found quality handmade harness for my mares & GREAT food.
(I never found any decent Mexican or Tex-Mex anywhere in PA though.)

yours, tex

dragon813gt
10-16-2017, 09:46 PM
It's very hard to find bad Italian food here. I live in a one square mile town of 5,500 people and there are five Italian restaurants. They all do things differently and they all thrive. Four have been in business since the seventies.

Good Mexican is a more recent thing due to people moving here. There is a large Puerto Rican population in the city I live near. The sofrito there is the real deal. I find it hard to get when traveling.

My point is that it was people moving here that brought this food w/ them. There are many other good things they brought w/ them. Now MS-13 in the city is not a good thing.

Lloyd Smale
10-17-2017, 04:14 AM
I know that two of my buddys who stayed in the service and retired both retired in TN. they as you know don't have a huge retirement check and both weighted it out where theyd get there best bang for the buck and a nice enough rural life without the congestion of the big city and both love it there. One was from the middle of Michigan and the other from southern WI. Both would have liked to come back home but it was just so much cheaper to live in TN that it was a no brainer for them.

EMC45
10-17-2017, 10:28 AM
If we win the lottery, I'd like to move to East Tennessee or Western North Carolina. I moved from upstate NY to Alabama In 1972, with a short and horrible stop in Pensacola for three months. I fell in love with the GSMNP some years ago when my wife took me to Gatlinburg for my birthday. As much as I love Alabama it wouldn't take much to get me to spend the last few years of my life up there. I'm pretty sure Dollywood can use electricians.

Hear Hear!

EMC45
10-17-2017, 10:35 AM
The same could be said when Texans move to other states [emoji6]

If it wasn't for people bringing their experiences and pieces of their past w/ them this country wouldn't have grown. No one wants the bad things. But bringing the good things, like cuisine is good for everyone. It's why I can get good Mexican food in PA. And yes, I've had the real thing and it stacks up. Now if only someone could figure out how to make good pizza below the Mason Dixon Line [emoji23]

From your lips to God's ears! There are some spots, but very limited that make legitimate NYC style pizza.

lightman
10-17-2017, 11:28 AM
I guess I'm not really sure what "legitimate" New York Pizza is but I have had a few here that were really good. Or at least we thought so. The South has its charms, even though its hot and humid.

PerpetualStudent
10-17-2017, 12:26 PM
Much prefer Chicago Deep Dish to NY cracker with sauce on it. And this is coming from someone who sojourned in NYC for a few years.;-)

I've been really impressed with WI. Very outdoorsy state. Not just hunting but fishing and boating and biking and hiking and rowing. We live in a small town and I couldn't be happier for them to grow up here. It does get cold and you'll be penned in for Jan and Feb. But having also lived in GA, the heat can pen you up inside just as well (July and August at least). I'd say more effectively.

Also nothing but good things to say about Nebraska. Learned how to shoot there. Good friendly people, even in Lincoln proper.

JBinMN
10-17-2017, 12:47 PM
Much prefer Chicago Deep Dish to NY cracker with sauce on it. And this is coming from someone who sojourned in NYC for a few years.;-)

I've been really impressed with WI. Very outdoorsy state. Not just hunting but fishing and boating and biking and hiking and rowing. We live in a small town and I couldn't be happier for them to grow up here. It does get cold and you'll be penned in for Jan and Feb. But having also lived in GA, the heat can pen you up inside just as well (July and August at least). I'd say more effectively.

Also nothing but good things to say about Nebraska. Learned how to shoot there. Good friendly people, even in Lincoln proper.

LOL ... You can always add more clothes in the cold, but ya can only go so far taking them off in the heat.
;)

Walkingwolf
10-17-2017, 02:38 PM
Well right now there should be plenty of work in your vocation in both Texas, and Florida, both states gun friendly.

MT Gianni
10-17-2017, 05:20 PM
Some people might slap me on the back of the head here....but Bozeman, MT (area) is a great place to raise kids....but you can't ***** about the cold or you'll get kicked out.

Used to be. It is so full of liberals and traffic jams now that many who have been there 10 years or more want out. Bozo and Mizzoola are the only two cities in the state fighting a bill that prevents a person from going in to any rest room they identify with, no matter what their equipment. Nuff said.

snowwolfe
10-17-2017, 06:40 PM
I know that two of my buddys who stayed in the service and retired both retired in TN. they as you know don't have a huge retirement check and both weighted it out where theyd get there best bang for the buck and a nice enough rural life without the congestion of the big city and both love it there. One was from the middle of Michigan and the other from southern WI. Both would have liked to come back home but it was just so much cheaper to live in TN that it was a no brainer for them.

I think you might be surprised at the size of their checks. And don't lose sight of the fact you could retire at 50% of your base pay at 20 years and begin collecting it immediately even if you are only 38 years old. Then add in whatever VA disability they might get. Then add in a second retirement as many took federal or state jobs after retiring. Finally, add in another check with social security coming.

Now on to TN. The selection of pizza places here suck. BBQ joints around every corner but any type of nonchain pizza eatery are far and few in between.

texasnative46
10-17-2017, 09:51 PM
dragon813qt,

Fwiw, my lady is PUREBLOODED Sicilian (Her parents fled the Hitler terror.) & makes GREAT Sicilian-style pizza.
(BEST that I've ever had, too, so I don't "go out" for pizza/pasta.)

yours, tex

Lloyd Smale
10-18-2017, 05:20 AM
they both retired as chiefs (E7) at 22 years of service. Both still had kids home and both had to get a second job to get by. 50 percent of an E7s base pay isn't all that great. Figure in they loose there housing allowance and hazard duty pay and overseas pay at the same time. Not to many enlisted men can get by after 22 years just on what they are getting for a pension. Both have ended up with good jobs. Both are retired from those jobs now too, One trained swat officers for the TN state police and the other worked for the DEA and retired this year. By the way. Federal employees cant collect social security when they retire for the years there getting there retirement check for. Something that's wrong on all levels. A guy can work his whole life at burger king and collect social security but spend 30 years fighting and serving for your country and you cant.

waksupi
10-18-2017, 08:10 AM
Used to be. It is so full of liberals and traffic jams now that many who have been there 10 years or more want out. Bozo and Mizzoola are the only two cities in the state fighting a bill that prevents a person from going in to any rest room they identify with, no matter what their equipment. Nuff said.

There is a reason we call it Bozone.

Thundarstick
10-18-2017, 08:26 AM
What ever you do, don't come to Tennessee! Is God awful here! What with all the humidity, skeeters, big ticks, little ticks and blood sucking politicians! Then there's tractors and combines on the roads slowing your drive and a deer waiting behind every bush trying to decide which car to total today! God help you if you don't fancy the smell of a chicken house or hog barn, and cows, OMG the cows! The weather? Holy moley, being in the middle we get the worst heat Texas has to offer in summer and the cold of Wisconsin in the winter! Some times in the same day! For God's sake don't come to Tennessee!

Walkingwolf
10-18-2017, 09:26 AM
What ever you do, don't come to Tennessee! Is God awful here! What with all the humidity, skeeters, big ticks, little ticks and blood sucking politicians! Then there's tractors and combines on the roads slowing your drive and a deer waiting behind every bush trying to decide which car to total today! God help you if you don't fancy the smell of a chicken house or hog barn, and cows, OMG the cows! The weather? Holy moley, being in the middle we get the worst heat Texas has to offer in summer and the cold of Wisconsin in the winter! Some times in the same day! For God's sake don't come to Tennessee!

Love the mountains of Tennessee, but ice, and snow must really suck.

Thundarstick
10-18-2017, 09:44 AM
What mountains? Ain't no mountains here, we're only 300 feet above sea level!

Walkingwolf
10-18-2017, 09:53 AM
What mountains? Ain't no mountains here, we're only 300 feet above sea level!

:veryconfu

That's odd I remember riding through Chattanooga on the bike, and those are some steep hills. It must flatten out towards the west side of Tennessee.

Just read up, and I was surprised to see that WT is low, and flat. I never been to that part of the state, so I didn't realize.

snowwolfe
10-18-2017, 10:00 AM
By the way. Federal employees cant collect social security when they retire for the years there getting there retirement check for. Something that's wrong on all levels. A guy can work his whole life at burger king and collect social security but spend 30 years fighting and serving for your country and you cant.

You are posting incorrect and inaccurte information. All my Air Force earnings during my 21 years in the Air Force counted towards my social security. I been collecting my military retirement since 1992 and social security since 2015.

Generally, there is no reduction of Social Security benefits because of your military retirement benefits. You'll get your full Social Security benefit based on your earnings. While you're in military service, you pay Social Security taxes, just as civilian employees do.
Military Service and Social Security
https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10017.pdf

snowwolfe
10-18-2017, 10:09 AM
:veryconfu

That's odd I remember riding through Chattanooga on the bike, and those are some steep hills. It must flatten out towards the west side of Tennessee.

Just read up, and I was surprised to see that WT is low, and flat. I never been to that part of the state, so I didn't realize.

There are so nice winding hills coming out of Chattanooga as you drive north. We live on the Cumberland Plateau which is roughly 2,000 feet up. Its about 8-10 degrees cooler here than areas off the Plateau.
Not much ice or snow, last year it snowed twice. Once it lasted into the next day. Wished we had a few more snow days but it is what it is. It can drop down to 0-10F or so once in awhile but it is rare.

Thundarstick
10-18-2017, 10:11 AM

Yep, I've done the Three State Three Mountian a few times!

Stay away from Tennessee, the hills are too steep to! 8-)

woody290
10-18-2017, 11:42 AM
By the way. Federal employees cant collect social security when they retire for the years there getting there retirement check for.

Federal Civilian employees can collect Social Security, but only if they have the necessary quarters earned and only at a reduced rate (about 40-60% of other folks - trying to find out for me now).

woody290
10-18-2017, 11:43 AM
They would have had to work a second job or two to make that work.

Lloyd Smale
10-19-2017, 07:35 AM
my dad retired for federal civil service. He had worked it most of his life other then 4 years in the service and a year or two at various jobs. some that didn't pay in. When he retired he did not have enough quarters to qualify. What he did was take a minimum wage job at a store his buddy owned helping the butcher for about a year. Even then his ss benefit is only 600 dollars a month compared to mine a 1800. His military time and fed service time did not count toward those quarters.

snowwolfe
10-19-2017, 09:30 AM
For those of you who choose not to search on the web, these are direct quotes I posted from the social security web site:

Until 1984, employment by the Federal government was covered under the Civil Service Retirement System (CSRS) and not by Social Security. If you worked for a Federal agency during those years, you did not pay Social Security tax on your earnings and those earnings are not shown on your record.

In 1984, a second retirement system--the Federal Employees Retirement System, or FERS--was introduced. People who began working for the Federal government in 1984 or later are covered by FERS instead of CSRS. Also, some workers who had been covered by the CSRS program chose to switch to the FERS program when it became available. Work under FERS is covered by Social Security.

Earnings for active duty military service or active duty
training have been covered under Social Security
since 1957.
Social Security has covered inactive duty service in
the armed forces reserves (such as weekend drills)
since 1988.
If you served in the military before 1957, you didn’t
pay Social Security taxes, but we gave you special
credit for some of your service.
You can get both Social Security benefits and military
retirement. Generally, there is no reduction of Social
Security benefits because of your military retirement
benefits. You’ll get your full Social Security benefit
based on your earnings.

edler7
10-19-2017, 05:29 PM
If I could have picked a place to raise our 2 sons, it would have been NW Arkansas. The Ozarks are a boy's paradise with hunting, fishing and all the woods.