PDA

View Full Version : Question on handles

Gunners Mate
10-15-2017, 01:00 AM
Ok so yep I am new to casting bullets but here is stupid question # 1

are different Manufactures brand handles interchangeable with different manufactures molds and is there a difference between 2 cavity mold handles to say six cavity mold handles and what are the best. I am looking for handles for an RCBS mold 35-200

hunter74
10-15-2017, 04:52 AM
Some are.....

Lee fits on NOE and some others. RCBS and Lyman are not interchangeable and they need their own handles.

Sent fra min SM-G930F via Tapatalk

I know Lymans nutcracker handles are different for 4 and 2 cav moulds. I'm not sure about rcbs

Gunners Mate
10-15-2017, 09:17 AM
Thanks

Dusty Bannister
10-15-2017, 09:25 AM
Here is a link to a "sticky" in the molds section of the forum.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?154184-Lee-6-Cavity-Handle-interchange-Use-list

keyhole
10-15-2017, 09:42 AM
First of all, your question is not a stupid one.
According to their website, RCBS handles part no. 80025 fit all their molds. At least in my experience, RCBS handles are built heavier and are more trouble-free than those of Lyman and Lee. The wood grips of the Lyman handles have a tendency to slip off and need to be drilled and pinned to stay in place. If you compare the thickness of the steel of the RCBS/Lee/Lyman handles the RCBS are noticeably thicker. Of course, Lee molds are aluminum so may not need as much support metal in the handles. All in all, however, the RCBS are just more substantial. I recommend using RCBS handles on your RCBS mold.

keyhole

JMax
10-15-2017, 11:48 AM
I have two older Lyman 2 cavity handles and drilled two new holes and use them on two of my NOE 2 cavity molds. It is best to buy handles for the molds that you own but I would not own Lee handles as the NOE versions are better made and have the wooden handle already pinned IMHO.

dikman
10-15-2017, 06:03 PM
The Lee 6-cav handle is bigger/longer/heavier than the 2-cav. I have a custom brass 4-cav mold that was designed for the 6-cav handle but I found it too heavy and clumsy so fitted a 2-cav (with a bit of modification) - much better to use. Bottom line is that handles can often be modified to suit what they weren't intended for. As for the Lee handles, I've had no real issues with mine, all are still working fine.

And no, not a stupid question at all.

John Boy
10-15-2017, 07:10 PM
Hoch Handles:
* Separate Hoch handles needed for small block molds
* Separate Hoch handles needed for large block molds
Not interchangeable with any other brand of molds

Hickory
10-15-2017, 07:30 PM
These are the best handles available, but they comes at a little higher price.

http://www.kal.castpics.net

WALLNUTT
10-15-2017, 09:11 PM
Why won't RCBS handles fit Lyman moulds?

Guesser
10-16-2017, 09:31 AM
I have a dozen Lyman DC handles. I set of RCBS handles. The RCBS will fit several of my Lyman DC molds, but not others.. I have 2 sets of Lyman DC handles that will fit 3 of my RCBS molds but not the rest. I have 2 sets of Ideal SC handles that will fit Lyman DC molds and 3 sets of Lyman DC molds that will work for Lyman Ideal DC and SC molds; some but not all. There doesn't seem to be any standard, just "a guess and a go"!!!

MT Chambers
10-16-2017, 01:52 PM
You'll need an ***'t. of handles like the rest of us have, note that the Lee handles are made of pot metal and can break if you try to adapt. them.

DocSavage
10-16-2017, 08:21 PM
I've handles from RCBS,Saeco,Noe and Dick Dastardly RCBS fits RCBS,Saeco fits Saeco. Noe and DD fit Noe. I have 2 Accurate blocks and they fit RCBS handles. As some have said anything else will be trial and error. The mold maker Will tell you which handles fit their blocks.

mazo kid
10-17-2017, 11:30 AM
A little file work will often make handles fit other makes of molds. I had an RCBS mold but no handle. As I recall, I took off a few .001s from the Lyman handle so the holes lined up.

Echo
10-17-2017, 09:24 PM
According to their website, RCBS handles part no. 80025 fit all their molds. At least in my experience, RCBS handles are built heavier and are more trouble-free than those of Lyman and Lee. The wood grips of the Lyman handles have a tendency to slip off and need to be drilled and pinned to stay in place. If you compare the thickness of the steel of the RCBS/Lee/Lyman handles the RCBS are noticeably thicker. Of course, Lee molds are aluminum so may not need as much support metal in the handles. All in all, however, the RCBS are just more substantial. I recommend using RCBS handles on your RCBS mold.

keyhole

Plus One...

range
10-19-2017, 02:52 PM
Could this metal machining services (http://www.powerjackmotion.com/product-category/metal-maching-service/) be of any help? As I've seen, what you're looking for is not their primary product but I think they can craft one for you.

Grmps
10-19-2017, 03:25 PM

keyhole

+1 on what keyhole said!

What gets old is people that ask alot of questions without doing any research.
Google (when worded correctly) and CB search are great resources.

https://i.imgur.com/iwA49QW.jpg

Gunners Mate
10-20-2017, 02:30 AM
Yes thank you for the Screen shot I am aware of the search bar, but I like to hear your opinions to the questions that I ask.

Petrol & Powder
10-20-2017, 06:34 AM
I took a little metal off of a set of Saeco handles and they now work with RCBS & Saeco molds.

The Saeco handles are really nice and my preferred type. They have a much better hinge design than the RCBS and the wooden handles are a bit longer. Of course, those improvements come at a cost.

Tom W.
10-23-2017, 07:01 PM
I have one Lyman mold and use an RCBS handle with it. Fits fine. Maybe just a fluke, but it works.

HH928
11-19-2017, 09:57 PM
Ebay advertisers claim that the cheap Lee 6-cavity handles will fit the RCBS double cavity mold but I have no experience with this. Worth checking out.

honus
11-20-2017, 03:52 AM
The Lee handles fit my RCBS 2 cavity and both 1 and 2 cavity Lyman molds. They are not made of "pot metal" and I prefer them over my Lyman handles.

RED BEAR
11-20-2017, 08:02 AM
It is not a stupid question. Have quite a few different handles because when starting I figured I needed a handle for every mold. Imagine how dumb I felt when they arrived and realized they were interchangeable . we all have our moment's. I will say my absolute favorite is an old Lyman single cavity handle. For the life of me I can not get used to the Lee 6 cavity handles. Hand really starts to hurt after a hundred or so bullets. Anyway good luck and happy casting. And never worry about asking a question only way to learn.

Stilly
11-21-2017, 05:35 AM
Ok so yep I am new to casting bullets but here is stupid question # 1

are different Manufactures brand handles interchangeable with different manufactures molds and is there a difference between 2 cavity mold handles to say six cavity mold handles and what are the best. I am looking for handles for an RCBS mold 35-200

Not a stupid question at all. I appreciate your modesty though.

Folks have answered this so I will only add that to be careful. Lately my Lee wooden handles have started to slip off on the 6 cavity mold (4 cavity ACCURATE) that I run. It is not cool to see that. I am going to drill a small hole and put in either a roll pin or nail or screw, maybe even small bolt, but I do not care to have handles that slide off the metal partial tangs. Something to keep an eye on.

lightman
11-21-2017, 10:27 AM
I try to match the handle to the mold brand. I have been tempted to try the Lee handles at 1/3 the cost of RCBS handles, but the mixed reviews have kept me away from them. I have had a few sets of RCBS handles that I had to pin, so that's not just a Lee problem. With either brand, it's an easy fix.

It's nice to have a set of handles for each mold, even though switching them is easy.

toallmy
11-21-2017, 05:38 PM
Over the last couple years I have accumulated a variety of molds from saeco, RCBS ,noe , arsenal , M P and Lyman at first I purchased the handles for the brand of the molds to be used on ,but now I put lee 6 cavity handles on all of them .