PDA

View Full Version : Chiapas 22 levergun

OBXPilgrim
10-14-2017, 08:09 PM
Anyone seen one if the Chiappa 22 leverguns yet? Looks just like the Marlin Mountie model (straight grip). Just saw them on Buds gun shop today for the first time. Just wondered what anyone thought that has seen them in person.

I know there is a rim fire page, but I looked there first and didn't see anything about them (or here).

pietro
10-14-2017, 11:04 PM

The Chiappa LA322 does not have a case-hardened/colored steel receiver - the receiver made of a cast non-ferrous alloy that has chemically-applied case colors.

While it is a takedown similar to the discontinued Marlin 39a, unlike the Matlin, the lever cannot be closed while it's taken down, which makes transporting it in a takedown case problematic, since the opened lever rests at a 90-degree angle to the rest of the rifle.

Additionally, the front sight ramp & barrel bands are aluminum, secured by (IMO) cheesy-looking Phillips-head screw(s) and the standard model stocks are made from some non-walnut hardwood. (the Deluxe model has a checkered walnut PG stock)

On the plus side, they're attractive-looking rifles & are fairly accurate - although not as accurate as most Marlin 39a's.

YMMV, but I'd rather shop around for a good/used Marlin 39a for the same or less money than Bud's $435 sale price. (I've bought 2 M-39a's in the past 18 mos @ $250 for one & $350 for the other)