PDA

View Full Version : a little story about the u.s.p.s.

mozeppa
10-14-2017, 09:32 AM
i bought from a fellow member 18 boxes of speer 44 cal. 240 bullets on sept. 15th this year.

the seller couldn't get all 18 boxes in a fixed rate box due to the weight so he put 15 boxes in a
large freight box and 3 boxes in a small freight box.

within a couple days he shipped from california and sent me the tracking number.
eager to get them i watched the tracking progress.

well...the box made it to their main hub in california and that's where everything came to a halt.

5 days pass from shipping date...then 10 ...then 15...then 20 ...then 25 days have gone by.

still the tracking said "delayed in transit".

we both thought that it was stolen and decided to file a claim on the insurance.

on the 27th day ... lo and behold a 64 pound package came to me ...yup it's them!

the seller did a great job of packing...he made a crate out of plywood that fits in the postal cardboard box packed the bullets and nailed the lid shut.

when i got it there was a ton of clear tape on the box ...which i cut through to get to the crate.

the crate had the lid pried off and the nails bent flat over!

why would u.s.p.s. take it upon themselves to open and examine the content of any mail?
if there was gold coins in there i doubt i would have ever got the package!

this is a first for me...how about you?

sparky45
10-14-2017, 09:39 AM
I filed a tracking request on an insured package 5 months ago and continued to receive a monthly letter from USPS stating they are doing everything they can to locate the package, that is until I gave a copy of my last monthly letter to the local postmaster to which I received an additional letter within a week stating they are sorry, can't find it. Showed that to the postmaster and she said I could file a claim. I told her I might not live long enough for the matter to be resolved.

Tyguy95
10-14-2017, 09:44 AM
That seems to be the typical story with USPS... granted fedex is not much better. Pay for two day shipping Ann's your lucky if it shows up in 2weeks. Ups is the only way to go imho

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

mold maker
10-14-2017, 10:01 AM
Have you ever noticed how efficiently they deliver junk mail, circulars, and advertisements? Even political mailings magically appear.

bedbugbilly
10-14-2017, 12:20 PM
I shipped a sword to a collector in the Republik of Kalifornia a couple of years ago and he insisted that it be shipped "Overnight Express Mail" and insured - which I was more than happy to do as it was on his dime. I packed it securely and shipped it as desired - when I took it to the PO, I was told it would be there the next day. (from MI) - Well, it did get there but about four days later! The fellow keep calling me form CA and I had sent him the tracking number - there wasn't much else I could do. Once I knew he had the package safe in hand, I refunded the shipping/insurance charges to him as I felt that was only fair - then I went back to the PO and asked to speak to the Post Master and took him to task about the "Overnight Delivery" - the PO's high charge for that service and his reply was, "Well he got it didn't he?". I then demanded my shipping/insurance costs be refunded since they didn't live up to their end of it. He gave me all kinds of excuses about having to clear it with his supervisors, etc. and I politely stated that that was what he was being paid to do. It took a few days but I got all the shipping/insurance fees back.

There are a lot of good postal employees - but just as many who aren't like any profession. It makes no sense at all why your package was opened but I suppose they have the right to "inspect" - but what would trigger the inspection? My guess is that someone got curious and as you say, if it were gold coins, you'd never have seen them. Like all the Government Agencies, the USPS needs a good "housecleaning" and fewer "regulations" to run efficiently.

Moleman-
10-14-2017, 01:01 PM
I've had packages get opened up and gone through. They were never packaged back up as well but the contents got there. I've also received a broken open empty box that was supposed to have a barrel blank inside of it......... With that in mind when I ship stuff I make sure it packaged as if some angry worker will be throwing the box at a concrete wall trying to get the rebound into a bin. The barrels in these two pics were further wrapped to protect the finish in transit before the lids were screwed on. If you make a wood box be sure to write the shipping info on the wood box in case the cardboard one is damaged.

JBinMN
10-14-2017, 01:54 PM
They DO inspect. MY ma sent me some magazines that she thought I would like. She sent them as "Media" mail, which is an inexpensive way to send CD's Books, etc... Caveat is... They cannot contain ANY advertising.

So, I get a "postage due" card from the PO saying I owed $9.40. I went down there & the Postal worker explained the situation. I asked her how they knew they were magazines instead of just folders with papers in them. She said that, "We inspect things like this & we know they are magazines. Look for yourself." I looked at her & then opened the package. It was magazines & on closer inspection I also noticed that there was an extra layer of clear packing tape that was on the package. It had been opened. I paid the $$ & left.

Later I told my Ma not to send any more magazines after that...

nannyhammer
10-14-2017, 07:53 PM
Years ago I insured and mailed a varmint caller from SC to my brother in OK. About three weeks later I get back the lid to my cardboard box with a note saying contents found missing USPS. What a surprise right after they stole the items I shipped someone found an empty box. When I made an insurance claim they would only pay 75% of the value since it was used...of course they had zero problem taking the money for insurance above their self imposed value.

woodbutcher
10-14-2017, 08:34 PM
:(Whats that old saying?Ohhhhhhhhh yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.They get the mine.WE get the shaft.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

Mytmousemalibu
10-14-2017, 08:53 PM
Monday, the 9th, I got a notification message from Amazon that my LEE .41 Swiss dies were delivered. The USPS tracking confirmed the same, delivered, placed in mailbox. I got home, nothing, empty mailbox, I encircled the entire house but did wasn't there. So either some dirtbag stole it or the exquisite USPS service in my neighborhood screwed me. It wasn't the 1st time and I seriously doubt the last. I'm putting a security cam system up.

CLAYPOOL
10-14-2017, 09:40 PM
I bought a Mag - 10 shotgun from Texas. I discovered that it was broke internally and the seller said she would refund or "REPAIR", at there cost. Boy was I dumb. I said , No i will send it back for a refund. Shipped it dissembled and packed really good. APRIL 14, this year. Lost. Finally found in Atlanta lost package center August 28. Contacted 1 month later by the 2 Postal Inspectors . I got snotty at last and faxed a copy of my F.F.L. to her. Well here we are 2 weeks later and no gun yet. I sent her a nasty note telling them I could have used a Burro or Donkey and got it here by now. I also said stand at the on ramp north bound I - 75 and hold up a sign wanting a DRUG COURIER GOING TO CARBONDALE , ILLINOIS and I would gladly pay them and drive over and pick it up... I NOW WILL BE PUNISHED BY THEM....

CLAYPOOL
10-14-2017, 09:47 PM
I was just trying to help my local, VERY SMALL post office as it is very handy . I have $ 705.00 in it now with there Priority mail charges, ( $ 28.00 something) and then they lost it. OF course NO INSURANCE. I thought with that high of charges it was insured.. Boy - O - BOY what a "OLD AND STUPID", I am. The U.P.S. boys unloaded a rifle up the road here at The 3 - ABN Head quarters. Religious Organization. Big Time. A guy signed for it, Git ready for this name boys, P - SEED.......

am44mag
10-15-2017, 12:51 AM
That seems to be the typical story with USPS... granted fedex is not much better. Pay for two day shipping Ann's your lucky if it shows up in 2weeks. Ups is the only way to go imho

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

UPS has sent my stuff on a 2 week cross country tour, they have delivered to the wrong address, and they have flat out refused to ship something when I followed their policy to the letter. They're almost as bad as FedEx who "lost" a box of ammo half way to it's destination.

USPS seems to give me far less trouble, though they are not perfect by any means.

Land Owner
10-15-2017, 08:06 AM
After one month, I received the USPS insurance money from their automated destruction of a WELL-packaged and fiber taped SFRB of 450 x 30-06 pulled bullets shipped to another reloader. I repaid the purchaser 100%, I felt that only fair, it certainly wasn't his fault that the shipment didn't arrive. The USPS kept the bullets - somewhere - so I was out both payment for merchandise as well as the merchandise. I hope my 450 bullets clogged up their package destruction system for awhile - picking them out one at a time. so sorry if that held up your packages.

myg30
10-15-2017, 08:44 AM
I was told by my carrier one time several years ago that a heavy small flat rate box can fall through the rollers on the old conveyer systems if they are not turned long ways.
I had a box delayed that no one wanted to bend over and get it from under one of those conveyors.
I guess all those high paid union employees of the postal service are protected by the union and they really don't have to do their jobs. Guess that's why they bring in Part Time workers and take overtime away from some of them in some areas. Part timers work sundays delivering amazon packages I'm told.
My buddy tells me now they have these new gps scanners to scan priority bxs, they all are tracked, timed and questioned about long delays at a stop. Overtime in his area has been cut down drastically.
Guess all this doesn't help us get our mail any better or faster ! Hummm....

Mike

458mag
10-15-2017, 11:47 AM
Now don't be pickin on yhem union boys or you will be hearin from them

shooterg
10-15-2017, 12:57 PM
Sold a box of brass to a member here on 9/12 - it has disappeared , PO says it was "delayed" on 9/15. Can't file for the insurance at the PO, they do not even have a paper form. The online deal won't work for me as the "SELECT" buttons are unresponsive(Windows 10 maybe ?) There's a number to call to get a paper form mailed to you, but it's robo-voice never gets to a point you can ask for one - and you only have 60 days to file and can't file for 30 of those AFTER the send date. Sent the member a refund, sure ain't his fault. I'll probably have to eat the $$ but their system sucks.

JBinMN
10-15-2017, 01:10 PM
Sold a box of brass to a member here on 9/12 - it has disappeared , PO says it was "delayed" on 9/15. Can't file for the insurance at the PO, they do not even have a paper form. The online deal won't work for me as the "SELECT" buttons are unresponsive(Windows 10 maybe ?) There's a number to call to get a paper form mailed to you, but it's robo-voice never gets to a point you can ask for one - and you only have 60 days to file and can't file for 30 of those AFTER the send date. Sent the member a refund, sure ain't his fault. I'll probably have to eat the $$ but their system sucks.

Here is a link to their PDF file to handle such things. The section 1.6 ( in particular 1.6.1, 1.6.2, & 1.6.3) is pertinent to your claim, but you may want to read down to it from the top.
https://pe.usps.com/Archive/PDF/DMMArchive20130728/609.pdf

Here is a link to the form(PS Form 1000) where you can print it out:
http://kslibassoc.org/pdf/fileauspsclaim.pdf

G'Luck!
:)

Der Gebirgsjager
10-15-2017, 01:12 PM
My last negative experience with them was a 14 day delivery of a handgun, FFL to FFL, that was supposed to be a 2 day priority mail delivery from Banning, CA, to Shed, OR. The gun disappeared in Portland, OR. I phoned the USPS Customer Service in Wash., DC and explained the situation politely, but enumerated a long list of who I was going to call next. It was suddenly found and delivered 24 hr. later. Package had been opened and then heavily taped. Fortunately the gun was o.k.

Echo
10-15-2017, 01:59 PM
I wonder - did any of you above folks contact your Congressperson about the USPS problem? It is my opinion that when a Congressperson sends a letter to some fed agency asking why they are screwing over a constituent, results happen pretty dang fast! That would be my second action, after chatting with a local USPS official.

waksupi
10-16-2017, 10:41 AM
My last negative experience with them was a 14 day delivery of a handgun, FFL to FFL, that was supposed to be a 2 day priority mail delivery from Banning, CA, to Shed, OR. The gun disappeared in Portland, OR. I phoned the USPS Customer Service in Wash., DC and explained the situation politely, but enumerated a long list of who I was going to call next. It was suddenly found and delivered 24 hr. later. Package had been opened and then heavily taped. Fortunately the gun was o.k.

If you tell them you are reporting a missing gun to BATF, they tend to find them very quickly.

bobthenailer
10-20-2017, 07:01 AM
A friend who worked at a USPS told me a story about a co worker who kept a supply of sticky shipping label's with his name and address and paste them over the real shipping address, and put them on any package that he thought he might want and the package was sent to his address, SLICK well they finally caught up with him because of so many package being delivered to him.

pcolapaddler
03-05-2018, 01:17 PM
The story of the sword reminded me...

About 20+ years ago I worked for the warehouse of the local school district.

When one of the top guys retired, we were cleaning out his office and find a large sword.

Apparently it was found wedged into a pallet that contained some other materials. Efforts to contact shipper, etc failed to produce a response, so the sword found its way into the corner of an office and was forgotten.

IIRC, it was eventually sent to a surplus property auction.

Sent from my Frankenphone using Tapatalk

RED BEAR
03-05-2018, 01:55 PM
I can rember a time when you could depend on USPS. Now they are lucky they are not played what they are worth they would starve!!!

retread
03-05-2018, 02:04 PM
Monday, the 9th, I got a notification message from Amazon that my LEE .41 Swiss dies were delivered. The USPS tracking confirmed the same, delivered, placed in mailbox. I got home, nothing, empty mailbox, I encircled the entire house but did wasn't there. So either some dirtbag stole it or the exquisite USPS service in my neighborhood screwed me. It wasn't the 1st time and I seriously doubt the last. I'm putting a security cam system up.

This is the reason I have a PO Box. Then they can't say we delivered it! With all the identity theft going on these days having your mail sent to a box on the road is foolish.

osteodoc08
03-05-2018, 03:03 PM
Bought a Dillon tumbler off a member here. His tracking number showed arrived but I never got it. Called PO and they said they have GPS tracking and show when it was delivered and tracked it to my house. I went to file a claim but between my time, filing a police report, waiting to get the report, paying for the report and waiting on USPS, it just wasn’t worth the $50. I just let it go.

Mr_Sheesh
03-05-2018, 03:14 PM
The USPS' unionized gorillas now prefer, I am reliably told, being called Mail Delivery Primates.

They regularly break stuff sent to me (unless it's solid metal) and certainly stomp and/or drive over enough packages I get.

I've considered putting a web site over "stompedordrivenoverpackages.org" but doubt it'd be a good idea - as they'd likely just stomp ALL my packages then!

Kraschenbirn
03-05-2018, 05:49 PM
In the last year, I've had several items show up on tracking as "Delivered" that didn't make it to my mailbox the first time around. Dunno whether our mail carrier is dyslexic or just semi-literate but he keeps delivering my stuff to the guy with the same street number only one block over...Bartlow Lane vs. Willow Road. Last time, before I left in the morning, I checked the tracking and item was shown as "out for delivery" but when I got home it wasn't here so I checked again and, sure 'nuff, tracking showed package "delivered" about an hour earlier. Called local PO and explained situation; also mentioning that this wasn't the first occurance. Post Office supervisor ran a GPS check of driver's route and, low and behold, package was dropped off over on Bartlow. Supervisor contacted (phone? GPS link?) carrier before he finished his route and made him go back, pick-up the misdelivery, and drop it here before he headed for the barn. Haven't had another since so, maybe, carrier got the message.

Bill

Hannibal
03-05-2018, 07:46 PM
Purchased a pistol from an FFL on Gunbroker. Pistol was mailed to local FFL for transfer. Pistol made it to KC Kansas, where the package was then apparently opened as I got a call from a Federal Postal Inspector. He was quite interested where this pistol was going and what the specifics were. After speaking with myself and both FFLs the Inspector found it necessary to sit on it for 2 weeks before finally allowing it to continue the journey.

Never did get an explanation as to why the package was opened to begin with.

xs11jack
03-05-2018, 08:49 PM
A couple of years ago a gentleman down the street started a business in his house. His address is 248 Birmingham drive and mine is 338 Birmingham drive. For the first 8 months I got all of his packages. Both UPS and USPS!!!! After a couple of months I asked him if ANY packages came to his address, he said no, not a one! He said that none of the things he ordered we to me and nothing was lost else where. You can't beat that for government logic.
Ole Jack

sandman228
03-05-2018, 09:26 PM
Dont even get me started on the USPS. I've had nothing but probs the last few years with them . I've came home to packages laying in my yard because there too lazy to put on porch by door .there to lazy to close lid on mail box so if its raining my mail is soaked .I came home a couple weeks ago to 3 inches of snow in box and a soaking wet penelec bill. I'm constantly getting neighbors mail , sometimes they put the whole blocks mail in 1st houses mail box ,I guess its up to us to get it where it needs to go .if one person on whole block don't shovel there walk they won't deliver to any of us so when I get the snow blower out I have to do whole block . we sent for our car registration it never came I had to go pay for a duplicate and a month later we get our registration in in mail with a note on front of envelope saying post office please deliver to correct address so who knows where it originally went. I bought a new carb for my chainsaw on e bay it was shipped USPS I watched tracking it never came on day it said out for delivery. Next day I'm walking my dogs I get a block and a half away there was a yellow envelope on the ground I kicked it over just screwing around and lo and behold if and my name on it ,it was my new chainsaw carb laying on the ground a block and a half from my house along the road where postal carrier dropped it the day before. Oh and as far as the shoveling sidewalks go thats all fine and well if they actually used them they cut through the yards no matter how much snow on ground even when walks are clean . I think there lazy and obviously knowing how to read is no longer a requirement to work for USPS. I've called post office multiple times so has wife and other neighbors nothing changes . I even had to go to post office once with a pic of mine and my mothers sidewalks (she also lives on this block) to show postmaster our walks were shoveled after our carrier refused to deliver saying the walks had snow on them .USPS is a joke its no wonder there going under

BLR Mike
03-06-2018, 12:36 AM
Dont even get me started on the USPS. I've had nothing but probs the last few years with them . I've came home to packages laying in my yard because there too lazy to put on porch by door .there to lazy to close lid on mail box so if its raining my mail is soaked .I came home a couple weeks ago to 3 inches of snow in box and a soaking wet penelec bill. I'm constantly getting neighbors mail , sometimes they put the whole blocks mail in 1st houses mail box ,I guess its up to us to get it where it needs to go .if one person on whole block don't shovel there walk they won't deliver to any of us so when I get the snow blower out I have to do whole block . we sent for our car registration it never came I had to go pay for a duplicate and a month later we get our registration in in mail with a note on front of envelope saying post office please deliver to correct address so who knows where it originally went. I bought a new carb for my chainsaw on e bay it was shipped USPS I watched tracking it never came on day it said out for delivery. Next day I'm walking my dogs I get a block and a half away there was a yellow envelope on the ground I kicked it over just screwing around and lo and behold if and my name on it ,it was my new chainsaw carb laying on the ground a block and a half from my house along the road where postal carrier dropped it the day before. Oh and as far as the shoveling sidewalks go thats all fine and well if they actually used them they cut through the yards no matter how much snow on ground even when walks are clean . I think there lazy and obviously knowing how to read is no longer a requirement to work for USPS. I've called post office multiple times so has wife and other neighbors nothing changes . I even had to go to post office once with a pic of mine and my mothers sidewalks (she also lives on this block) to show postmaster our walks were shoveled after our carrier refused to deliver saying the walks had snow on them .USPS is a joke its no wonder there going under

I find it ironic that you complain about laziness in a post filled with spelling errors, horrible grammar, and no attempt at punctuation. Pot, meet kettle.

RED BEAR
03-06-2018, 01:01 PM
Blrmike are you a postal worker. I can't spell ether thank god for spell check. My mail box is on the house by the door not on the road. The postal workers informed me that they count have to come to the door and take outgoing mail unless they have something to deliver even if I schedule a pitch up. Have had my mail thrown in yard ( to lazy to take the few extra steps. Get someone else's mail almost every day. Only comes down my street about 3 to 4 days a week. If it snows or rains no mail that day. Tried complaining to post master may as well talk to a rock although a rock may have the advantage. Tried complaining on line requested a call back never heard a thing. If I thought better spelling or Cramer would improve my USPS service I may take the time to do better. As far as I can tell USPS employees are the most useless people on earth!!!

BLR Mike
03-06-2018, 11:36 PM
Blrmike are you a postal worker. I can't spell ether thank god for spell check. My mail box is on the house by the door not on the road. The postal workers informed me that they count have to come to the door and take outgoing mail unless they have something to deliver even if I schedule a pitch up. Have had my mail thrown in yard ( to lazy to take the few extra steps. Get someone else's mail almost every day. Only comes down my street about 3 to 4 days a week. If it snows or rains no mail that day. Tried complaining to post master may as well talk to a rock although a rock may have the advantage. Tried complaining on line requested a call back never heard a thing. If I thought better spelling or Cramer would improve my USPS service I may take the time to do better. As far as I can tell USPS employees are the most useless people on earth!!!

I am not a Postal Employee, I just found the irony of so many people who could care less about showing how intelligent they may or may not appear to be due to their use of spelling and grammar complaining about someone else being lazy in their field of employment. This entire thread gave me quite the chuckle.
Carry on with the complaining!

RED BEAR
03-07-2018, 02:19 PM
Blr mike I will admit I am lazy but I am not holier than though. I designed and built everything for NASA to military to private industry. And I never learned to spell. But whether someone can spell or use good grammar is not the end all as to how smart or lazy some is . I have worked with my hands all my life but also had to design parts and machinery. But the type of conduct that would let you to look down on someone for any reason says a lot about a persons character.

glockfan
03-07-2018, 03:16 PM
usps...wheeew....hundreds of videos on the web demonstrating how usps employees are so enamoured with their job lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsk4_yzJBrc

then,no wonder why some parcels gets stolen.

got my fair part of troubles with them.i now use fedex,ups......any other transporter ,but not usps. yes, other carriers may have a parcel on the lose , but at least you are able to get a pretty clear idea where it's at because most carriers do the scan thing at every transit.not usps.

BLR Mike
03-07-2018, 11:53 PM
Blr mike I will admit I am lazy but I am not holier than though. I designed and built everything for NASA to military to private industry. And I never learned to spell. But whether someone can spell or use good grammar is not the end all as to how smart or lazy some is . I have worked with my hands all my life but also had to design parts and machinery. But the type of conduct that would let you to look down on someone for any reason says a lot about a persons character.

No different then judging an entire workforce on the conduct of a few bad apples.
See the correlation yet?

lightman
03-08-2018, 09:32 AM
I guess that I have had good luck with the USPS. I've found our local postal employees to be helpful and professional. It may help that I live in a small town where everyone knows everyone. And maybe everything about everyone! I receive my mail at the post office through a P.O. box. I only recently had someone that I mailed something to state having damage to the package. That was a SFRB of lead that I recently mailed out to the winners of a contest that I posted about in another post. Perhaps I did not package or tape it good enough?

fatelk
03-08-2018, 10:49 PM
I've been lucky too, it looks like. We've done eBay off and on for a decade or so, and have used dozens, if not hundreds, of flat rate priority boxes without losing a single shipment. I've seen a few misdirected or delayed, but haven't lost one yet.

The local post office is great too, but it's a fairly small town. A few months ago my wife ordered some expensive school software on eBay. We checked tracking the day it was supposed to arrive; it said that it had been delivered just a few minutes earlier but it was not there. We have locking mailboxes and a good neighborhood. I drove down to the PO a couple miles away and showed them the tracking. They took my phone number and tracking info.

Less than an hour later I got a phone call that because of the GPS tag when it's scanned for delivery, they determined that it had been delivered to the wrong address. A supervisor drove to the house it had been delivered to, after hours as I recall, picked it up and brought it to us. I love living in a small town.

fatelk
03-08-2018, 10:57 PM
I'd better knock on wood though, after a post like that. Now I'm just bound to have something lost. Good thing I'm not superstitious.

Totally unrelated story except for the luck part: a couple months ago I put new tires on an old car. I went really cheap because it's just a $500 car that I didn't want to put much money into. I bought cheap tires from Walmart and the guy installing them asked if I wanted to buy the $10 per tire road hazard warranty.

I distinctly remember thinking "How many times in my 30 years of driving have I needed the road hazard warranty?" Never, not once in 30 years. So I went cheap and didn't spend the extra few dollars.

Guess what? Yesterday my wife hits a pothole, dents the rim and puts a hole in the sidewall of a brand new tire.

CLAYPOOL
03-09-2018, 12:44 AM
UPDATE ON MAG - 10 SHOTGUN. I finally got the shotgun back @ the end of December. 9 months. Still can't get anything else from the Post Office. Had to sign a release form to get it. The lady in Texas won't refund the gun price either. ATTENTION: You had better put TO and FROM on the outside of the package No matter what the gal in the Post Office tells you...

Petrol & Powder
03-09-2018, 09:58 AM
My local Post Office is staffed by good people and they do a good job, unfortunately that's just one link in a very long chain.

Getting all the way back to the OP, The Post Office has a lot of discretion over packages in their control. Generally speaking, a warrant is needed to open an inspect first class mail and some packages but there are exceptions. If the package was inadvertently damaged, it can be inspected to determine if it is safe to continue delivery. There are border search exceptions, there are hazardous materials inspections and other exemptions.

More than likely in the OP's situation, the package was damaged in transit and opened as a result of that damage but then the PO failed to follow through and get it back into the system. It eventually made its way back into the delivery chain and the OP received it.

And BTW, private carriers such as FedEx and UPS always reserve the right to open any package under their control - and they DO NOT need a reason to open the package. If you don't believe that, read the fine print on your shipping contract. Now, as a practical matter, they rarely exercise that option because they are interested in delivering the package and really don't want to waste time inspecting them.

mac60
03-09-2018, 12:02 PM
So... I ordered gas checks from sage's. They're located in Jacksonville, Al. - not really all that far from me. They went from Jacksonville, Al. to Birmingham, Al., from there it's just a few hrs. drive down I-65 to get to where I'm at. From there they went to San Antonio, Tx. for some reason. Don't get it...

Echo
03-09-2018, 12:15 PM
When I wrap stuff to go by USPS, I always put a Return Address label on the inner wrapping - in case to vinyl-tape wrapped box/envelope breaks open (?) and the stuff inside is loose, without the packaging. I've had (a couple of times) FRE's delivered without contents, envelope torn open by machinery (maybe) and contents fallen (?) out. Never again, since wrapping EVERYTHING in vinyl tape.

starbits
03-09-2018, 07:38 PM
While I have had my share of problems with the usps, but occasionally they shine! I had a renter send me a monthly rent check where they misspelled my name, the street name, the city name, had no state on it, and had the wrong street number and the wrong zip code. Not a single thing in the address was correct, yet it still arrived. On the other hand I have had packages correctly addressed to me and had the PO return them because there was no such address.

Starbits

Petrol & Powder
03-09-2018, 08:17 PM
So... I ordered gas checks from sage's. They're located in Jacksonville, Al. - not really all that far from me. They went from Jacksonville, Al. to Birmingham, Al., from there it's just a few hrs. drive down I-65 to get to where I'm at. From there they went to San Antonio, Tx. for some reason. Don't get it...

Hub distribution system. Everything goes to the hub and then is directed from there by the most efficient means, not always the shortest route. It doesn't always make sense when viewed as an individual package.

RED BEAR
03-10-2018, 01:04 AM
The worst experience I have had with USPS is when I mailed off my bills and more than 2 weeks later a neighbor 10 houses down brought all the payments I had mailed and said they were delivered to his house that day. My credit card company informed me that my interest rate was tripling because of the payment was late. Blr mike I am certain there are some good USPS employees somewhere I just haven't seen any in a long time. Our distribution center was on the news as being one of the worst in the country. Try to order supplies from USPS 5 times never got them main post office tried to say they were sent to a small local office (not the one that delivers the mail because there was a zip code on the request ) . never heard of a persons mail going to a post office instead of my house . the small USPS office told me that they have had a lot of these complaints and what the main office told me was not true why would they come there instead of where they were addressed to. I did get good service when I lived in the country but that was 40 years ago.

Mr_Sheesh
03-10-2018, 04:15 AM
I recently ordered supplies and somehow they were dropped off at a distant office & I "picked them up" from there... Mind you, I was in the hospital with pneumonia for a few days before & after that date, somehow I must have teleported over there & they didn't mind the hospital gown apparently. (You'd think I'd have gotten at least a "crack kills" comment on that?) I've had pretty good luck other than that, but heard other horror stories.

shooterg
03-10-2018, 12:22 PM
Went through 2 levels of appeal on the "insurance" on the package referenced earlier in this thread to no avail. 3rd level of appeal, I pm'd the buyer that I had refunded asking for a notarized statement if convenient, but no responce before the appeal date expiration. Apparently the appeals are handled by a third party whose main job is to make sure they do not pay !

Local PO ladies fine, they're used to the Greensboro sorting facility losing stuff, not much they can do about it.

Hardcast416taylor
03-10-2018, 01:01 PM
Just to put the shoe on the other foot, how about the really poor and shoddy way some sellers will pack the stuff you bought from them. I`ve had `J` bullets packed loose in a zip lock bag and that going into a simple brown envelope. Out of 250 bullets that I paid for that got shipped that way I wound up with 28 that got stuck in the bags corners. The P.O. said there was no insurance on the package, even though they delivered the shredded bags. The seller in Iowa was very nice about my loss saying `That`s too bad` and never to be heard from again.Robert