PDA

View Full Version : Anyone with QL Care To Post Some Ballpark Figures?

IDSS
10-13-2017, 09:45 AM
I'm currently loading the Accurate 46-430V boolits (The "tombstone" boolit, a 430 grain plain-based approximation of the Beartooth PD Jr.) for my 45-70 Marlin 1895SBL and I'm looking to see if my surmise in coming up with this load was even close to correct.

As QL doesn't play well with Mac, I've never messed with it.

I'm loading the boolit with 42.0 grains of Ramshot X-Terminator, seated to the crimping groove, leaving .575 inches in the case. Over my pro-chrono, this gets me right around 1700 fps with the 430 grain boolit. This makes for a roughly 180 yard MPBR on an 8 inch circle.

My latest copy of the Western Powder load guide lists 42.8 grains as the starting load for a 440 grain boolit in their "modern rifle" section, which tops out at 40,000 psi. 47.5 grains is listed as max with a velocity around 1800 fps and 38,600 psi pressure.

The 42.8 grain starting load lists a velocity of 1674 fps. This seems to be right in line with what I'm getting from the 430 grain boolit. As my load is perfectly adequate for what I want out of the rifle, I'm hoping that it's comfortably under the anecdotal 40K psi limit of the 1895; sort of splitting the difference between a standard and a modern rifle load.

Anyone care to run the numbers and provide an idea of the pressure my load is running at? I'd certainly appreciate it.

Thanks