PDA

View Full Version : Something different for a short barreled woods/truck rifle

snowwolfe
10-12-2017, 05:36 PM
Been wanting a Winchester 1894 Trapper in 30-30, mainly for the short 16 inch barrel. But since the rifle hasn't been made for awhile it is now priced as a collector. Could of bought a new 30-30 with a longer barrel and had it cut down but that would of amounted to spending another $250-350 for the gunsmith fee and shipping. After searching the web sites discovered Marlin makes a youth model 336Y with a 16.5 inch barrel and a 12.5 LOP. Plan is to add either a slip on or regular pad to bring the LOP up to around 13.5 inches. This will still keep it just a tad on the short side. I've discovered if you want a fast handling woods rifle not only is a short barrel handy but a shorter than normal LOP allows a hunter to shoulder the rifle faster as the butt doesn't hang up on bulky coats or thick clothing. Might add a peep sight or possibly a 4x muzzle loader scope because the parallax is set at 50 yards which is about the longest shot I would take. Ordered one from Buds today but they are really slow to ship as I paid by check and everything is snail mail.

I'll keep ya'all posted as to what I finally end up doing. Already have some slip on recoil pads so my expense to date will be the rifle ($416). My gut tells me the best way to procede is to use the slip on pad. That will give me a rifle the nephews can use if they ever get a hankering to shoot some deer.

Scorpion8
10-12-2017, 06:11 PM
I have a Marlin 336Y in-the-box just for that purpose. A standard rear stock bought off GB or eBay fits fine and brings the LOP back to standard but you still win with the shorter barrel. Enjoy!

MyFlatline
10-12-2017, 06:36 PM
It's an easy do it yourself, if you are inclined..

OlDeuce
10-12-2017, 09:47 PM
I have the the Old trapper in 30-30WCF worked to death but she still shoots Great!!!! Haha she is a gum wood stock why Winchester would use such
soft wood is beyond me !! My trapper was used by a left hand shooter! the soft wood shows his finger nails imbedded on the right side of the butt stock !!

Ol Deuce

HawkCreek
10-13-2017, 01:07 AM
You probably wont need a longer LOP. My 336Y has the "youth" stock still and there isn't enough difference for me to even notice.

OlDeuce
10-13-2017, 01:33 AM
I really like the feel of the shorter LOP !

Jackpine
10-21-2017, 10:04 AM
Plus 1 for the slip on. I have a Ruger 77 youth model that I put a fairly thin slip on and made it perfect for mild weather clothing, and then can simply slip it off when doing cold weather stand hunting and I have on the really heavy coat and what is underneath. Light, handy and quick.

snowwolfe
10-21-2017, 02:33 PM
Finally picked up the rifle. Fit and finish is awesome. Trigger is stiff and breaks around 7 pounds but the let off is crisp. Plan on installing a West West trigger in it. Not sure if I will stay with a slip on or mounted pad.
I like the rifle. Should be real handy in the ground blind or tree stand.