PDA

View Full Version : What is an easy way to compare Tin and Lead

pete501
10-12-2017, 12:33 AM
I would like to know what weight percentage tin is in relation to the same volume of lead. Someone out there has figured this out.

I have some suspect "tin" soldiers that I want to cast into a mold and compare the weight to the known weight of a lead boolit. The scrap yard has a XRF gun but with my work schedule it would be difficult get out there.

Don1357
10-12-2017, 01:53 AM
Easiest way? Put it aside and wait 'till you make it to the scrap yard?

Cowboy_Dan
10-12-2017, 03:20 AM
You could compare the weights of a bullet cast of pure lead and your mystery alloy. With a little math, this is pretty easy. Here are the formulas you need to fill in:

M1/175=V

(M2-112V)/63=P (remember to do the part in the parentheses before dividing)

P/V=L

M1 is the mass of the pure Lead boolit
V is the volume of the boolit
M2 is the mass of the mystery metal boolit
P is the amount of Lead by volume
L is the percent Lead of the mystery alloy

Note: these particular formulas are for a Lead/Tin alloy, other metals in the alloy will give an incorrect result.

pete501
10-12-2017, 09:30 AM
Thanks. That was what I was looking for.

kevin c
10-13-2017, 04:21 AM
Wikipedia says pure lead at room temperature is 11.34 grams per cubic centimeter. The same volume of pure tin at room temp is 7.27 grams, or 64.1 %.

RogerDat
10-17-2017, 01:28 PM
What cowboy dan is noting is any antimony or zinc or copper or any other metal other than lead/tin will throw the math off. I'm with the get it tested and know. Lucky enough to have a scrap yard that will test then just put a sample on a shelf with any other mystery alloys, when you have enough make the trip. Or contact member here BNE you can mail him a sample + one pound of lead per sample and he will test it. Mailing might save some of your time and only cost you postage and a pound of lead.