PDA

View Full Version : glock extended mag release options

funnyjim014
10-11-2017, 07:07 PM
I shoot a glock 34 Gen 4, factory except for storm lake barrel. I shoot in a practical pistol league every week and over the past few months every once in a wile I press the mag release under recoil. I know I can change my grip but was wondering options on extended mag releases. I know I'm riding the top of it with my thumb and if it was longer I think I wouldn't hit it but ride the side of it, kinda like riding the safety on a 1911. Button size isn't a issue just the length

Plate plinker
10-11-2017, 07:27 PM
Why is your thumb near the mag release? The thumb should be way higher unless your hands just physically will not allow it.

Boolit_Head
10-11-2017, 08:11 PM
I tried the extended Glock one then went with one like this. I don't remember which one I got but it only has one screw instead of two like this one. I have not had any issues with either but have been using extended releases for over 20 years.

http://www.glockstore.com/Tear-Drop-Mag-Catch

35remington
10-11-2017, 09:27 PM
I get get the practical reason for the request so I am not commenting on that.

Do you shoot better with the low thumb for some reason? Sometimes you gotta run the gun the way it
needs to be held.

tunnug
10-12-2017, 12:26 AM
I had an extended release on my G23, whenever I holstered it the release would get pressed and the mag would pop out, this happened with several different style holsters, it's back stock now.

funnyjim014
10-12-2017, 12:24 PM
Under pressure it's very hard for me to get the higher grip, I know I need to practice more than 45sec each week. Time for extra practice is nonexipstent lol. As far as hitting better, it's a wash I think.

35remington
10-12-2017, 03:36 PM
I would suggest higher thumb placement and leave the release stock.

NoAngel
10-12-2017, 04:09 PM
I have one on all my Glocks and I had to file the corners of all of them. They dig into the base of my weak side thumb.

funnyjim014
10-12-2017, 08:30 PM
Maybe I'll get some skate board tape and put a small section to make a memory spot to help with the placement

Plate plinker
10-12-2017, 10:36 PM
Good idea

rockshooter
10-13-2017, 01:18 AM
i just filed it down some so it is taller than the regular (non-extended) but somewhat shorter and smoother than the higher model 34 one
Loren

Lloyd Smale
10-13-2017, 06:25 AM
that was my experience with them. especially in an in the waist band holster.
I had an extended release on my G23, whenever I holstered it the release would get pressed and the mag would pop out, this happened with several different style holsters, it's back stock now.

W.R.Buchanan
10-13-2017, 07:14 PM
Jim: Your grip sounds like a serious problem. If you are not having the web of your hand all the way up under beavertail of the gun you need to start.

This is important to insure you are gripping the gun the same way every time. Also your thumbs should be pretty much up next to the slide. not down around the mag release.

I would highly recommend a trip to a Front Sight Defensive Pistol Training Class so that you can get the basics in before you develop so many bad habits that you shooting never progresses past the "I suck level."

Randy

Beef15
10-13-2017, 07:46 PM
Extended release is fantastic, may not cure your problem, certainly not the root but for the cost of a value meal why not try it? Glock OEM hit the edges with some sand paper. Got my last from NDZ.

Err I think the 34 comes with one. Nevermind.