PDA

View Full Version : The Chapel ?

Boaz
10-11-2017, 06:26 PM
I was wondering today at work . Is there anything that could bring more folks to participate here in the Chapel ? I know many members and guests read the threads here but seems participation could be better .

Do you think lack of participation is simply because it's folks consider it an 'internet' thing and has no bearing on reality ? Perhaps that what happens here is not of consequence in relation to prayer , praise and encouragement to one another ? Are the great majority of members simply non believers ?

This forum is unique in having a Chapel , I don't understand why more don't take advantage of it . Was just wondering what are your thoughts ?

Pine Baron
10-11-2017, 08:00 PM
I think, it's a matter of comfort level. When your ready, you can chime in. All should be made welcome.
Nothing comes to mind on how to draw more in. However, persistence and a continuing faithful support should be witness enough, I would think.

DCP
10-11-2017, 08:32 PM
Boaz when you figure it out please let us know. May God Bless

buckwheatpaul
10-11-2017, 08:35 PM
I agree with Pine Baron....many people are intimidated with having to offer up a prayer or are shy about an illness or bad circumstance; others worry about being criticized. Others are lurkers.....The best way to bring more in is to keep doing what we are doing...or ministry about praying for those that need our prayers....those seeds will eventually blossom and we will have more and more participants....IMHO.....Paul

Preacher Jim
10-11-2017, 09:11 PM
Paul the Lord told us to be faithful in spite of numbers. You were spot on be faithful to pray. God will do his part and answer prayer.

GhostHawk
10-11-2017, 09:19 PM
I agree with Pine Baron. I did not chime in here much until I got pretty comfortable with several of you. And the more comfortable I got the more I felt comfortable talking.

I still don't say a lot about a lot of things. In part because many of you know your bible so much better than I do. Some of you are ordained, which IMO puts you into a whole nother level of commitment if nothing else.

Brother Boaz, I would say it is not broke. Not in my opinion at least. So don't try to fix it. Things happen when they happen, often by the Lord's plan, again in my opinion.

tinhorn97062
10-11-2017, 10:38 PM
I agree with Pine Baron. I did not chime in here much until I got pretty comfortable with several of you. And the more comfortable I got the more I felt comfortable talking.

I still don't say a lot about a lot of things. In part because many of you know your bible so much better than I do. Some of you are ordained, which IMO puts you into a whole nother level of commitment if nothing else.

Brother Boaz, I would say it is not broke. Not in my opinion at least. So don't try to fix it. Things happen when they happen, often by the Lord's plan, again in my opinion.

I understand your thoughts, but keep in mind that we’re all on the same road and there should not be a single one of use who is in front of the other. I’ve been mightily blessed by some things you’ve shared, and wish you’d share more.

Bzcraig
10-11-2017, 11:01 PM
I agree with Pine Baron....many people are intimidated with having to offer up a prayer or are shy about an illness or bad circumstance; others worry about being criticized. Others are lurkers.....The best way to bring more in is to keep doing what we are doing...or ministry about praying for those that need our prayers....those seeds will eventually blossom and we will have more and more participants....IMHO.....Paul

I agree completely Paul! I so often come in late on topics that what I might contribute has already been spoken. But I believe wholeheartedly the ministry of the chapel is alive and active.

trails4u
10-11-2017, 11:13 PM
Wow......I read the first paragraph then went off to make myself a cheeseburger for a very late dinner. Thought about it, and thought of those that inspire me to come back to the Chapel for a check-in now and again. I could have made a list.....and yeah, you all showed up.

I don't come here as often as I should.....I know I've mentioned that in the past. I often feel like Jekyl and Hyde on this site...one day I've giving something away to someone with a need.....and a week later I'm trying to hustle something for some $$ to pay a bill. Maybe that's life raising a family with three kids (now two at home, and one at A school with the Navy!), but I've always checked in here for balance, for a break, for peace of mind that I know I can get from the folks I always know will be here.

Don't question what you're doing here.....it's meaningful, it's powerful, and you do a great job of keeping Our Lord present in this forum. You're not overbearing, none of you are.....but you are present, and I like that. I would guess many do, even though it may never be spoken.

Chris.

daloper
10-12-2017, 07:03 AM
I check in daily during the week. As for posting, I don't feel like I have the elegance of words or the knowledge of some that post here. I try to keep it simple. I know that God knows the hearts of all that come here and he can see and knows what is on our hearts. I also know that he is a loving God that love to hear from his children. I am encouraged by the post that I read here. So many people caring for and praying for each other. Like others have said, sometimes I am late and feel that I have nothing to add as others have already said it better then what I can. As I am still new here I have a hard time mentioning things that I may need prayer for. Most things in my life I consider small compared to the prayer request that I read here. The major advantage to coming here is that it has helped me to have the courage to publicly post prayer for others. Not just here but also on Facebook when I see one of my friends or family going through a tough time. You are all an encouragement to me. Thanks for all you do and God bless all who come here.

Doug

Wayne Smith
10-12-2017, 07:33 AM
If you think of the difference between a "Chapel" and a "Church" I believe you will see this is exactly what it is supposed to be. A place of quiet contentment, to come and pour your heart out, and to find peace. For someone to come along side and put an arm around your shoulder and pray with you, not trying to solve any problems or change anything, just mutual surrender to God. We find Chapels in hospitals, in the woods, at colleges, etc. They are not Churches. Very different function and focus.

Thundarstick
10-12-2017, 08:41 AM
Ditto WS!

I think I have mentioned this before, if not, here you go. All you need for conformation is to see 100 views on a thread with 0 replies. If YOU need to see more replies make a symbol for" amen".

OTOH when people make statements that aren't agreed with, or pose conteriverceal questions they are often belittled or shoot down quite forcefully and rudely.

dverna
10-12-2017, 09:18 AM
Good comment Wayne.

Charlie, I have gained a lot from the Chapel and those who post here. And I started coming here as an atheist. The Chapel was not the single reason for my acceptance of Jesus but it was an important step along the way. So for that I am thankful.

I admit that I am still uncomfortable praying. For example, I do not pray before a meal. I do pray for others who have fallen on difficult times and less so for myself as my life has started to come around. I am very blessed. Many others need the Lord's help more than I. Part of my "difficulty" with prayer is grappling with the Lord knowing everything...so He knows who is suffering...so who am I to ask Him to help someone? He knows where the needs are.

The Chapel has been a good place...at least for me. But I am not sure how to improve it. BTW, do not discouraged by those who visit and say nothing or little. They come for a reason. And anyone should be welcomed as long as they are respectful.

GhostHawk
10-12-2017, 09:31 AM
Don I'm not going to argue with you sir.

He does see all, know all. But the squeeky wheel gets the grease first.

I work hard at not asking for something that is contrary to his will. Not making him choose between what he wants and what I want.

Especially if I am praying for someone else.

For myself, I guess I feel that if I need some help to do his work then I don't mind praying for it. Tuesday morning I woke up with the Arthritis in my right hip flaring up.

I took a couple of asprin, and spent the day on a heating pad and also asked for some help from the Lord. Without that help there is no way I could do anything but sit on that hot pad.

Wed morning I woke up and all was normal, no pain. And Wed morning Casey and I were back working for the Lord visiting those in need at the nursing home.

DCP
10-12-2017, 11:15 AM
If you think of the difference between a "Chapel" and a "Church" I believe you will see this is exactly what it is supposed to be. A place of quiet contentment, to come and pour your heart out, and to find peace. For someone to come along side and put an arm around your shoulder and pray with you, not trying to solve any problems or change anything, just mutual surrender to God. We find Chapels in hospitals, in the woods, at colleges, etc. They are not Churches. Very different function and focus.

Great post

Boaz
10-12-2017, 02:36 PM
All good comments . I enjoy it when we all contribute our opinions here for a cause or just talking . I firmly believe what we do here has an immediate effect and a more long lasting effect . This is a page from the Chapel back in April , look at the views on the threads . When a thread/topic slides off the main board here people keep reading what we say or discuss .
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?174-Our-Chapel/page62

It's been mentioned that some will not comment or post because they are not confident because many here seem more learned in scripture . We are all on a level field here , anyone seeking or wanting to contribute should not feel intimidated , people here would welcome them instantly . There are several pastors here they are always encouraging . I know everyone here likes to see new faces posting . I would love to see the Chapel keep growing .

Boaz
10-12-2017, 02:46 PM
This is the Welcome to the Cast Boolits forum Chapel thread in the stickies above . I think everyone has done a great in our Chapel .

Welcome to the Castboolits Forum Chapel !
Everyone is invited and welcome here . You are encouraged to be involved with others of like mind in prayer and praise . Your church affiliation is not important , we care about you not the name on the building your church meets in . We are here to simply help each other , give praise to our GOD , pray for one another and provide encouragement .
To those requesting prayer , please do so , you are encouraged to . If your request is of a personal or sensitive nature simply ask for an 'unspoken' or 'prayer of trust' , details need not be given in that request . Please keep your request updated as much as possible to show that your need is still there . Many times a request is made with no updates or follow up and if there is not reinforcement of the need then the prayer will not continue . Please have concern and respect for those trying to help and provide information on how the cause is going .
To those in prayer for another person or cause . Please pray often on the thread if possible , if your not able to for any reason to type in a prayer at least put down that you are included in the prayer line by a simple Amen or quote someone else's prayer to show your participation in giving your support . This simple response will show concern to the one in need looking for support and relief through our Lords intercession . Again, please put up a response that you are praying , it is important to show support .

Please come here often , help us as we help each other through prayer , praise and encouragement . Share your needs , share you willingness to help , share yourself through your testimony in praise of our Lord and savior Jesus Christ .

Thank you for being here .

slim1836
10-12-2017, 03:00 PM
Count me as one who reads and very rarely comments, there are many who say it much better than I could ever express. I do check in quite frequently.

Slim

Ickisrulz
10-12-2017, 03:23 PM
OTOH when people make statements that aren't agreed with, or pose conteriverceal questions they are often belittled or shoot down quite forcefully and rudely.

That is sure what I was thinking. One of the last times I tried to contribute in the Chapel I was told by Boaz, "I don't even read your posts any more just do what you need do."

I get the idea that the Chapel is only for prayer requests and for a few guys to preach and others to just say, "Amen."

Boaz
10-12-2017, 04:00 PM
slim1836 I always enjoy seeing you here . Your are always an encouragement brother !

NoAngel
10-12-2017, 04:04 PM
That is sure what I was thinking. One of the last times I tried to contribute in the Chapel I was told by Boaz, "I don't even read your posts any more just do what you need do."

I get the idea that the Chapel is only for prayer requests and for a few guys to preach and others to just say, "Amen."

Politics and religion make enemies of people who otherwise might get along fine.
Some people seem to be rather insecure in their beliefs and prove it by lashing out at anything antithetical to their little safe place. We're all guilty of it some extent, I'm no exception, it's human nature but some people do so with such venom and spite that it literally sends people walking the other direction.
That's not the only reason but it's certainly a contributing factor.

Preacher Jim
10-12-2017, 04:34 PM
This chapel is my support group and my prayer partners.

Char-Gar
10-12-2017, 04:37 PM
I was wondering today at work . Is there anything that could bring more folks to participate here in the Chapel ? I know many members and guests read the threads here but seems participation could be better .

Do you think lack of participation is simply because it's folks consider it an 'internet' thing and has no bearing on reality ? Perhaps that what happens here is not of consequence in relation to prayer , praise and encouragement to one another ? Are the great majority of members simply non believers ?

This forum is unique in having a Chapel , I don't understand why more don't take advantage of it . Was just wondering what are your thoughts ?

If you can answer that, you can also figure out why there are so few people in church, when so many more should be.

I have studied on that question a right smart amount. It is my opinion that religious faith in all it's form scares many people. The feel guilty in it's presence and have no interest in taking a look at themselves and making any changes in point of view, thinking or life style. So, best to just avoid the discomfort. A short hand version is folks don't want to get to close to the fire, for fear they might get burned.

Folks will show up when something really bad happens and they are afraid of that more than the fear of being exposed to serious religion. However as soon as the crisis passes, they are out the door again. Lots of people with "foxhole religion" that have never seen a foxhole.

DCP
10-12-2017, 04:45 PM
If you can answer that, you can also figure out why there are so few people in church, when so many more should be.

Lots of truth here!

Char-Gar
10-12-2017, 04:50 PM
Ditto WS!

I think I have mentioned this before, if not, here you go. All you need for conformation is to see 100 views on a thread with 0 replies. If YOU need to see more replies make a symbol for" amen".

Well, they are booted over to the "Deep Theology" forum with has lots of opinions, some denominational doctrine, and little theology most of which is not deep.

Boaz
10-12-2017, 05:53 PM
This chapel is my support group and my prayer partners.

I feel the same way Jim .

NoAngel
10-12-2017, 05:55 PM
Folks will show up when something really bad happens and they are afraid of that more than the fear of being exposed to serious religion. However as soon as the crisis passes, they are out the door again. Lots of people with "foxhole religion" that have never seen a foxhole.

It's no laughing matter but I got a chuckle out of this. You can gauge mans "threat level" by the demand for bread, bottled water, plywood, toilet paper.......and God.

Boaz
10-12-2017, 06:54 PM
I want to thank all that care , that gave of themselves in their comments . I am so proud and thankful that you consider another . I believe this thread is dead . Thank you .

Boaz
10-12-2017, 07:28 PM
For those that shut down a good thread . You accomplished your purpose . Your individual reasons I will not speculate . But you will never silence GOD .

Pine Baron
10-12-2017, 08:01 PM
Well, I will add one final thought.

Please ask yourself before posting:
1. Will this help or hurt?
2. Will this bring glory to God or myself?
3. Is this a comment of love or hate?

Then go ahead and hit the "post" button. Go in peace.

DCP
10-12-2017, 08:47 PM
For those that shut down a good thread . You accomplished your purpose . Your individual reasons I will not speculate . But you will never silence GOD .

Boaz, I went back and reread every post, I must be a little dense, I didn't see anyone trying to shut down your thread. I thought it was a good discussion, silly me. Yours in Christ, Rick

GhostHawk
10-12-2017, 09:28 PM
"Well, I will add one final thought.

Then go ahead and hit the "post" button. Go in peace. "

This, exactly this. And even then I miss one now and then that I pushed the post button on and should not have.

So for all of you who have been hurt by my careless and thoughtless ways. I am truly sorry.

If I have not yet managed to do so, please bank this against a future need.

It is hard to remember sometimes that the road to hell is paved with good intentions.
We need more. We need to understand, to care, to love, and to forgive like Jesus did.

But we are not perfect, so we fail, stumble and fall. So lets try to help each other when we do.

tinhorn97062
10-12-2017, 09:35 PM
We need to understand, to care, to love, and to forgive like Jesus did.

But we are not perfect, so we fail, stumble and fall. So lets try to help each other when we do.

This.

trails4u
10-12-2017, 09:42 PM
Boaz, I'm with Rick here....both in the dense department :) and in thinking that this thread should be alive and well. There will be a naysayer from time to time, but if we allow that to silence us, then we were never really here. Just sayin', my brother.

God Speed! Trails.

Boaz, I went back and reread every post, I must be a little dense, I didn't see anyone trying to shut down your thread. I thought it was a good discussion, silly me. Yours in Christ, Rick

Pine Baron
10-12-2017, 09:46 PM
"But we are not perfect, so we fail, stumble and fall. So lets try to help each other when we do. "

And that sir, is exactly what this chapel means to me.

Hogtamer
10-12-2017, 09:47 PM
Hey Don,
Most of us have had trouble with the concept of prayer and scripture is full of examples and instructions for us to follow. Here are a few general comments....

Phillpians 4 is a good place to start. Rejoice! Make your requests known with THANKSGIVING. I read that a hundred times before I got it. Giving thanks to God is a vital part of prayer. Thanklessness is ugly to the Almighty. A concordance will help with these references.

Your post reflects a deep humility and contrition. Recognition of the Power and omniscience of God. These are key elements in prayer.

Persistence. This is a part of demonstrating and excercising faith.

Recognition of our place in creation. We are the only beings created in God's image, embued with soul and spirit. We are first to love God, and love our neighbors as we love OURSELVES. On its face this may seem the antithesis of humility, but no! A living, loving relationship with God is our due as his adopted children through Jesus Christ. Joint heirs to eternity with His Son. We can have no relationship without communication, and prayer is the requisite medium. As you read scripture note how much Jesus himself prayed.

Be guided by His Spirit in prayer. Our imperfect petitions and praise is made perfect to Him by His Spirit. They speak the same language!

May God bless you richly in your walk with Him, and if, as James (Jesus half-brother) said, if any of us lack wisdom, ASK! The 1st Chapter of James is helpful regarding prayer too.

Oh yeah, our prayers are the smell of heaven....You'll find that in Revelations.

Char-Gar
10-12-2017, 10:38 PM

Like you, I don't see any material that would shut down a thread. The man asked for opinions on a matter, and apparently he doesn't like some of the answers he got. If he only wants a specific answer, then don't ask others, just answer it yourself.

CraigOK
10-12-2017, 10:47 PM
I read a lot of posts made in the chapel, I'm sure its effects many in a positive way. The support and encouragement y'all bring to all the members of this forum is part of what makes this a special place. So thank you for that. Keep it up, I'm sure you are making more of an impact then you'll ever know.

Bazoo
10-12-2017, 11:00 PM
I am a believer and I appreciate the chapel portion here. I am not super active online. I dont have internet at my home. I have some close friends that live up the road where we visit often and use the internet there. I dont participate much for that and other reasons.

One of the reasons is I dont care for religious discussions much. I have my beliefs which dont really differ a lot from others, but i've found there is a lot of squabbling about differences in doctrine between most Christians.

Occasionally I have said a prayer for various things but not typed anything. God heard me.

Another reason I dont say much, Is I dont have a lot to offer. Im not a pastor, or a 50 year christian, I am doing good to keep myself out of trouble and keep an okay attitude about stuff. I am content to work on my own relationship for now.

~Bazoo

Boaz
10-13-2017, 05:41 AM
[QUOTE=trails4u;4176109]Boaz, I'm with Rick here....both in the dense department :) and in thinking that this thread should be alive and well. There will be a naysayer from time to time, but if we allow that to silence us, then we were never really here. Just sayin', my brother.

God Speed! Trails.[/QUOTE

Then keep it alive ! I think that would be great . There are plenty of good people here to keep it going but I don't want to sidetrack it by my presence . When those that don't care for me start throwing cheap shots and trying to distract the line of conversation . But I have enjoyed this thread much and it is serving a good purpose . I thank all .

GhostHawk
10-13-2017, 08:52 AM
Brother Boaz, when they start flinging dirt. All I can say is put on the FULL armor of God, and STAND FAST. Don't reply, don't stoop to their level. Don't give them anything to attack. Just stand there.

They'll soon tire of that game. Throwing dirt is no fun if the other guy does not get riled.
It is hard, I know full well. I also know you can do it. I have faith in you. So does the Lord.

DCP
10-13-2017, 09:06 AM
[QUOTE=trails4u;4176109]Boaz, I'm with Rick here....both in the dense department :) and in thinking that this thread should be alive and well. There will be a naysayer from time to time, but if we allow that to silence us, then we were never really here. Just sayin', my brother.

God Speed! Trails.[/QUOTE

Then keep it alive ! I think that would be great . There are plenty of good people here to keep it going but I don't want to sidetrack it by my presence . When those that don't care for me start throwing cheap shots and trying to distract the line of conversation . But I have enjoyed this thread much and it is serving a good purpose . I thank all .

I see no cheap shots in this thread or at you. Brother you are in my prayers

DCP
10-13-2017, 09:10 AM
Brother Boaz, when they start flinging dirt. All I can say is put on the FULL armor of God, and STAND FAST. Don't reply, don't stoop to their level. Don't give them anything to attack. Just stand there.

They'll soon tire of that game. Throwing dirt is no fun if the other guy does not get riled.
It is hard, I know full well. I also know you can do it. I have faith in you. So does the Lord.

Who is throwing dirt? I just dont understand you post. Is some one sending Boaz PM -Vaya con DIOS

Boaz
10-13-2017, 09:22 AM
GhostHawk I thank you sir . They can't hurt or bother me but it can cause others to draw away not wanting to get involved . A good thread was sent to the pit several days ago because a member that for reason I don't know was trying to pick a fight with me . It's hard for me to understand the mentality of anyone wanting to provide disruption of others here in the Chapel .

Thundarstick
10-13-2017, 10:59 AM
Brother it's obvious you've been hurt and I pray for healing.

This is a public forum? When we had cattle someone had to get in with them to work them through. My Granddaddy use to say, "when you get in with them your bound to get stepped on and kicked sometimes"!

When a thread is started no-one knows the direction it will take good, bad, or ugly.

Char-Gar
10-14-2017, 02:10 PM
Well, I will add one final thought.

Then go ahead and hit the "post" button. Go in peace.

I agree with No. 2 and 3, but No. 1 is problematic for me. What would the Christian faith be today if Jesus, Paul, Peter, John, Martin Luther and many, many more, be like if they had to check that box, before speaking and acting. Lots of folks, governments and even empires were hurt in the proclamation of the gospel. Truth telling hurts lots of feelings. I suppose the deciding issue would be intent. Are you (generic) intending to hurt somebody or is that hurt just a consequence of telling the truth.

Hickok
10-14-2017, 06:59 PM
I just want to thank God Almighty for the friends I have here, and for the prayers they have offered up for me and my family over some very difficult times. I pray others would bring their requests to the Chapel, so as one body we can offer up prayers in the Name Of Jesus Christ to our heavenly Father, that by doing so His Name will be glorified!

No person will go through this life with loss, without suffering, or without physical and mental anguish and duress. We need God's help, and as believers, we need each other!

Boaz
10-15-2017, 06:59 AM
Thank you Hickok , your faithfulness to give prayer and encouragement is always constant . Yours is a true message that we will all need one another at a time . Thank you .

Blackwater
10-19-2017, 12:22 AM
I really hate to say this, but though we all always want to share good things with the most folks possible, I've seen that work against groups in the past. A chapel is usually considered to be a place where people go to voluntarily, when the motivation strikes. If we bring in the masses just for the sake of numbers, I think there's always a danger that the standards here might be lowered, and dissentions magnified. As I said, I've seen this happen a number of times before, and though it SEEMS like "more is better," that's just not always so.

Don't mean to inject a "downer" here, but just to keep our perspective zeroed on what's most critically important in any prayer group. There's more to it than just numbers. FWIW???

Boaz
10-19-2017, 07:45 PM
Working together , praying together ...yes . Laying aside personal agendas , differences and helping , yes . Relying on the power of prayer , praise and encouragement . If memory servers me the key factors of being a person of faith .