PDA

View Full Version : Hyponatremia ????

gwpercle
10-11-2017, 01:56 PM
I go to the doctor , not feeling well, he checks me over and before I can figure out what happened, I'm in the hospital .
They keep telling me I have Hyponatremia....I'm no doctor , I have never heard of it.
I honestly believe I'm going to die. Every medical person who comes into the room , I keep asking them .."am I going to die "..every one reassures me that I'm not going to die....but I still feel like the end is near.
They keep telling me the sodium level in my blood is too low. They give me an IV and some big horse tablets.
Finally I get better and they discharge me.
Looking at discharge instructions at home.....they say

" Hyponatremia occures when the amount of sodium (salt) in your blood is lower than normal. " What ...not enough salt...I thought salt was bad for you !

" Nutrition : You need to increase your intake of sodium (salt). Foods that are high in sodium include milk , cheese , packaged snacks such as pretzels , processed meats , bacon, sausage and ham . "

Have you ever had a doctor advise you to eat MORE bacon, sausage, ham and cheese ?
These are my favorite foods...along with cracklings !

Wait...I wonder if I did die and now I'm in Pork Heaven ! Naw, this can't be heaven ...I still have them pesky doctor bills to pay !

Don't let anyone tell you if you avoid salt it will be good for you.....not true.
If you don't get enough you will end up in hospital.
True my blood pressure was real low , only 112 - 113 but it liked to have killed me.
Getting more sodium now .... blood pressure back to 140 , but that will just have to do .
Gary

popper
10-11-2017, 02:05 PM
Basic reason for the 'sports' drink electrolyte.

Bloodman14
10-11-2017, 02:56 PM
Yep, if you sweat a lot working or playing outdoors, and drink water only, you are headed for trouble. Gatorade should be alternated with water to keep some balance between hydration and electrolyte levels. If you drink too much Gatorade (like I used to do when working steel), you could develop kidney stones, due to the potassium and calcium content, because you can't flush it out of your system fast enough. Can you give some more info as to the circumstances? Without violating HIPAA, of course.

EMC45
10-11-2017, 03:37 PM
Each year it changes....Salt/eggs/milk/coffee/wine-beer/butter/red meat/dairy....Good for ya, bad for ya?!?!?!?!

I don't listen to any of it! Eat what you want when you are hungry in moderation. Drink water when you're thirsty. Done deal.

I remember a few years back the craze was walking around with an obscenely large bottle of water. I never did it and got ridiculed for it. People in my chain of command said I wasn't drinking enough water......Later on the consensus among the medical community was that forcefully drinking water all day may be bad for you...Hmmmm....

When I go to the VA for my 6 months check up They tell me that I must be watching what I eat and drink due to my BP, which is around 110 over 70 every time. They tell me it's a nice low BP. I let them know I drink coffee, smoke a pipe and eat whatever the heck I want! They said "whatever you're doing, keep doing it".

To the OP I hope you get to feeling better. Go get some big crusty salty pretzels and enjoy.

gwpercle
10-11-2017, 04:41 PM
Yep, if you sweat a lot working or playing outdoors, and drink water only, you are headed for trouble. Gatorade should be alternated with water to keep some balance between hydration and electrolyte levels. If you drink too much Gatorade (like I used to do when working steel), you could develop kidney stones, due to the potassium and calcium content, because you can't flush it out of your system fast enough. Can you give some more info as to the circumstances? Without violating HIPAA, of course.

Good advice ....I was only drinking water and according to the Doctor...get this...I was drinking too much water, it flushed the sodium out before absorption ! They restricted my intake of water for a week to get the sodium level in my blood back up! All of this just sounds backwards .
Gary

EMC45 ,
I'm all good now. one of the symtoms was loss of appitite , I had lost a few pounds and was all happy about that but with that new nutrition plan..... it's back on now. BLT's with extra B and cheese are not exactly non fattening !
Gary

lefty o
10-11-2017, 06:50 PM
the fact is your body needs most of the things that are bad for you, but it only needs moderate amounts of them. too much, or even too little can be bad!

bob208
10-11-2017, 06:51 PM
wife spent 4 days in hospital her potassium dropped too low.

lightman
10-11-2017, 07:15 PM
Glad you're better. There is a thin line on enough/not enough and its hard to balance it out.

Plate plinker
10-11-2017, 07:20 PM
My aunt has the same problem low blood pressure. She has always been very fit, now her doctor is telling her to consume more salt. I doubt this is that unusual.
Best wishes to you and your health.

Hogtamer
10-11-2017, 08:04 PM
Some fried country ham in a biscuit with an over easy egg every morning ought to cure that problem.

lefty o
10-11-2017, 09:26 PM
wife spent 4 days in hospital her potassium dropped too low.

my mother was hospitalized for that too. docs said too much longer and it wouldnt be good.

Elkins45
10-11-2017, 09:30 PM
My aunt has the same problem low blood pressure. She has always been very fit, now her doctor is telling her to consume more salt. I doubt this is that unusual.
Best wishes to you and your health.

My old boss was exactly the same. Told to eat more salt.

My brother came within hours of dying recently because he took too much ibuprofen. Doesn't take much to throw things out of whack. Fortunately the body has a really good system for eliminating excess salt.

MaryB
10-11-2017, 10:55 PM
Doc flat out told me on hot days to eat something salty if my body is craving it. I have been known to grab a pinch of salt when gardening to keep my system replenished... doesn't help I am on a diuretic that removes salt but spares potassium... and I pour sweat working in the garden on hot days, literally dips off my head, into my eyes, onto my glasses...

Parson
10-11-2017, 11:03 PM
Just this morning my chiropractor told me his former pastor had died. He was sick and the doctor told him his salt was low and had to add salt to his diet, but because his heart doctor told him to go salt free, he refused and it killed him, true? I don’t know

Multigunner
10-11-2017, 11:43 PM
My sister lost muscle control awhile back and had to be taken by ambulance to the hospital. They said her sodium content was so low it wouldn't register.
Apparently it was due to one of her medications, I don't know which.
I know for a fact she has always put salt on her breakfast eggs and fried potatoes.

After that I started taking a dash of salt in water several times a day and began to feel much better than usual.

The non salt diets are not meant for everyone. Salt is natural and necessary for good health.

oldblinddog
10-12-2017, 12:15 AM
Just this morning my chiropractor told me his former pastor had died. He was sick and the doctor told him his salt was low and had to add salt to his diet, but because his heart doctor told him to go salt free, he refused and it killed him, true? I don’t know

Did he ask the GP to call the Cardiologist?

Kosh75287
10-12-2017, 04:09 AM
The human body tends to hoard sodium, and excrete potassium. Why your body doesn't retain/reabsorb sodium is a question for a better trained mind than mine, but it suggests to me that something isn't as it should be, and I don't think it's your exclusive use of water as a beverage. Your physicians may be modifying your diet and engaging in what's called "watchful waiting" to see if the symptoms resolve on their own, or if something of greater diagnostic relevance appears. I hope for all the world that my apprehensions are in error, but I don't think you are quite done with this condition.

mold maker
10-12-2017, 06:34 AM
I take anything the learned Drs. say with a grain of salt. After all they are just practicing. As good as medicine seems to be, its only your Drs. SWAG when he advises you. That's why a second opinion is wise.
As far as salt, it's necessary, but an excess is to be avoided as with everything else. Even water is lethal when over consumed.

Love Life
10-12-2017, 09:20 AM
Hyponatremia is very real.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EMC45
10-12-2017, 09:27 AM
I salt everything I eat! I have been called out before by folks for salting food they made before trying it. I just let them know it's customary for to salt it then try it. :grin:

I always snicker when a new fad diet comes along.... Like lemmings folks I know or have worked with jump onboard headlong into these diets - Atkins, Paleo, Caveman, Vegan, etc. etc. Just eat smartly and get moderate exercise. I also take a multi vitamin as well.

When I was a kid sweets were my thing. I could eat sweet junk food all day long - Cookies, cake, candy soda etc. Now a days I like salty stuff like pretzels, chips, deli trays, cheese etc. I can go without the sweets for sure, but the docs say I have low blood sugar and need some sweets throughout the day. A mini candy bar is the ticket.

bdicki
10-12-2017, 09:42 AM
Some fried country ham in a biscuit with an over easy egg every morning ought to cure that problem.
MMMMMMM........country ham.

Hamish
10-12-2017, 09:59 AM
[QUOTE=Parson;4175346]Just this morning my chiropractor told me his former pastor had died. He was sick and the doctor told him his salt was low and had to add salt to his diet, but because his heart doctor told him to go salt free, he refused and it killed him, true? I don’t know[/QUOTE

Without a proper sodium level your cells can't fire. Cells can't fire means heart can't beat, brain can't function, blood can't process, etc. Your body is an electro chemical pump. The salt conducts the electricity. (in simplest terms)

Kosh75287
10-12-2017, 10:29 AM
I pour sweat working in the garden on hot days, literally dips off my head, into my eyes, onto my glasses... I sympathize, completely, because I can't seem to think a warm thought on a warm day, without quickly soaking everything I'm wearing with perspiration! I've even seen a neurologist about it, who suggested substituting one of my medications with an older one having greater anticholinergic (reduces sweating among other things) activity. The outcome was a mixed success. The different meds DID seem to help matters, but whether it was because cholinergic blockade was at work, or I was too darned sedated to be energetic enough to work up a sweat, THAT'S open to question!

robg
10-12-2017, 10:32 AM
everything tastes better with bacon

smokeywolf
10-12-2017, 11:52 AM
They're called electrolytes for a reason. Without sufficient minerals, especially salt, your body tissues lose conductivity and don't reliably conduct the electrical signals your brain sends through your nervous system to your muscles. That would include the heart muscle.

RGrosz
10-12-2017, 12:41 PM
That's a good thread. Yesterday my Wife passed out in school during lunch/ She's a 'lunch lady' for some little kids. She was taken to the hospital and held there for a day. That's twice she's done that this school year. I've copies and pasted the OP and several other posts on to my word processor for her to read, She had a heart attack last March and changed her diet a lot. Maybe she'll start adding some other things, like salt, to what she eats then she'll start to come around. I've been telling her that since the heart DR. cut off all everything she used to love to eat.
Thanks
Rob

gwpercle
10-12-2017, 12:54 PM
everything tastes better with bacon

Amen !
Local eatery is advertising their latest Buger Special as being made of 50% ground beef and 50% ground Bacon ! I just have to try it....I'm not sure how it will taste ...but you never know .
Add bacon and cheese ?
Gary

gwpercle
10-12-2017, 01:02 PM
That's a good thread. Yesterday my Wife passed out in school during lunch/ She's a 'lunch lady' for some little kids. She was taken to the hospital and held there for a day. That's twice she's done that this school year. I've copies and pasted the OP and several other posts on to my word processor for her to read, She had a heart attack last March and changed her diet a lot. Maybe she'll start adding some other things, like salt, to what she eats then she'll start to come around. I've been telling her that since the heart DR. cut off all everything she used to love to eat.
Thanks
Rob

She needs to go to regular doctor and get all the blood levels tested....that might show whats low/high . All of these levels are a lot more important than I knew , don't let it get out of hand.
Hope she gets better soon .
Gary

RGrosz
10-12-2017, 01:19 PM
She needs to go to regular doctor and get all the blood levels tested....that might show whats low/high . All of these levels are a lot more important than I knew , don't let it get out of hand.
Hope she gets better soon .
Gary

She has an appointment tomorrow. we were thinking it's a problem with overmed on the blood pressure meds. Both times when the paramedics showed up, her blood pressure was extremity low. Now she has something else to ask him. Been telling her to eat what she wants, but eat in moderation. Maybe now she'll start to do that.
BTW thanks for your concern, appreciate that.
Rob

Thundarstick
10-12-2017, 01:52 PM
If you are truly hyponatremic, it more likely you have a kidney or adrenal issue rather than an intake issue. You're body is designed to hang on to Na and dump K. BTW there are a whole class of BP meds that make you dump H2O, Na, and the K rite along with it! If you need extra K I suggest you start checking labels example, milk, tomato juice, and nearly anything green is loaded with K. Nearly anyone gets plenty of Na in a normal diet because we add it. Salt is very difficult to come by in nature as well that's why out was a commodity in the ancient world, often standing for money, but in the modern world it's easy to obtain.
Be careful OP, you probably have other issues! Your on the net, find out how your body regulate NaCl!

EMC45
10-12-2017, 03:17 PM
Amen !
Local eatery is advertising their latest Buger Special as being made of 50% ground beef and 50% ground Bacon ! I just have to try it....I'm not sure how it will taste ...but you never know .
Add bacon and cheese ?
Gary

I've made 50/50 beef deer burgers with about 4-5 slices of thick cut bacon I ground in too. They were good. The lean deer prevented a lot of shrinking and the bacon kept it all moist and together. Very tasty.

Bloodman14
10-12-2017, 03:47 PM
It sounds like some blood chemistry tests need to be done; CBC, CMP, TSH, B12/FOLATE, TIBC. Start with those, and go from there.

woodbutcher
10-13-2017, 02:17 AM
:grin: Hi GW.That 50%Beef/50% bacon is yummy.One of the local grocery stores has the recipe in the meat counter that is ground in store.Just add cheese for a great bacon cheese burger.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

mold maker
10-13-2017, 08:27 AM
If I die with bacon or country ham on my breath, you can bet the undertaker will have trouble getting the grin off my face. Both contribute salt to my diet, so thats one less thing to worry about.
BTW I've got a country ham grin on right now. I had hen fruit, c ham, toast w/real butter, and coffee at 5:30 this morning as usual. What else has an old feller got to wake up for?
Did I mention the red-eye gravy and grits?
Kings and Presidents don't eat any better.

blackthorn
10-13-2017, 11:10 AM
Hen fruit? My Dad called them "Cackle Berries". We ate lots of them.

gwpercle
10-13-2017, 01:05 PM
:grin: Hi GW.That 50%Beef/50% bacon is yummy.One of the local grocery stores has the recipe in the meat counter that is ground in store.Just add cheese for a great bacon cheese burger.
Leo

Thanks Leo, I was hoping to hear that !
Gary

SSGOldfart
10-13-2017, 04:59 PM
A teaspoon of Peanut butter every day will fix the low sugar.

woodbutcher
10-14-2017, 01:27 PM
:grin:Hi again GW.Not only does it make great burgers,try it in any home made pasta sauce.Or meat loaf or any recipe that calls for ground beef.
Leo

gwpercle
10-14-2017, 07:29 PM
At lunch today I had the 50-50 ground beef / ground smoked bacon burger with cheese, lettuce, tomatoes and onion. AWESOME ! The mix does something really wonderful to the taste and texture of a burger. Flavor and moistness is right on.
A smoked meat loaf of a 50-50 mix, ground venison in place of the beef would be even more better !
When something tastes this good it must be really bad for you !
Gary

myg30
10-15-2017, 09:57 AM
So a 50/50 beef burger/ bacon means a 1/4 lb burger with a 1/4 lb of bacon on top ? Hummmm
I think I've done that before but not when mommas home ! I bet the two ground together is the bomb !
Now I got to go to the butcher and request some.

Way back there was a fast food chain called "Roy Rogers". They had a "Double R burger" which was a real 1/4lb cheese burger with ham on top and the bun was buttered and toasted ! Don't know why they all closed up. It was the best. They had real roast beef too that was red rare, almost bloody sliced real thin. Hummmm

Mike

Landy88
10-15-2017, 07:49 PM
Salt being sodium chloride, your chlorine level from a blood test is a quick an dirty check for hyponatremia being a simple and tasty to remedy dietetic issue or something more.

New hypertension patients, sometimes, do too good of a job reducing salt intake.

big bore 99
10-15-2017, 08:08 PM
I believe some salt is necessary. Ever notice how far deer travel to get to a salt block? If there's a block on an old stump and it washed away, they'll kick the heck out of the sump to get a salty chunk of wood to chew on.