PDA

View Full Version : Question about RCBS Pro Melt

Kermit2
10-10-2017, 06:38 PM
I'm preparing to upgrade my casting equipment by purchasing an RCBS Pro Melt melting pot. The new Pro Melt II has digital temperature control, but no one has any in stock. No idea when they'll be in stock. Mid South Shooters Supply has the original Pro Melt in stock but it's $100 higher priced than the new model. Wondering whether I should wait for the new digital model, or suck it up and buy the original model. Currently I'm using a Lee drip-a-matic. It works, but is annoying. Opinions please on which model to purchase. Thank you!

JMax
10-10-2017, 07:46 PM
I have the ProMelt w/o digital control and it works just fine for me with no drips.

KrakenFan69
10-10-2017, 07:55 PM
If what you have is working, I'd hold off a bit and see if I could get the newer model.

Kraken Fan #69

Randy Bohannon
10-10-2017, 09:46 PM
I have the non digital ProMelt as well, casting has never been easier.I wonder what parts they cheapened up for a lower price on the new ones.

dikman
10-11-2017, 12:40 AM
I was wondering that too - the newer one is $100 cheaper than the old one??

The old one is a pretty solid unit.

2011redrider
10-11-2017, 02:23 AM
Called RCBS about a week ago for parts to a Lubamatic press and asked them about the release date. They said there were problems that had to be corrected before it is released. They didn't expect it to hit the market till about Black Friday.

Walter Laich
10-11-2017, 09:47 AM
My Pro-Melt has an aftermarket PID that I built--works great

did convert it to pull down handle which is so much easier on shoulder

mattw
10-11-2017, 09:56 AM
I have been running a old RCBS for 20+ years, replaced the tank and the rod 1 time and have not looked back. A few years back I did build a PID controller for it, love it and would not give it up. I think I would buy another old style if I had a need.

DerekP Houston
10-11-2017, 10:31 AM
I'm running the original old style, check amazon for prices and watch for a rebate offer from RCBS. I run mine on a PID as well.

jsizemore
10-11-2017, 12:43 PM
I've got 3 pots and 1 PID that I can swap amongst them. They do benefit from the PID. If the PID goes down for any reason I've got the original temp control to fall back on and it's a safety if the PID runs away be it a failure of the PID, SSR or thermocouple.

dikman
10-14-2017, 06:30 AM
Yep, having the PID separate means the pot is kept pretty simple (if the PID fails I simply swap to another one). Plus the PID can be positioned where I can see it.

Kermit2
10-14-2017, 07:59 AM
Well, I jumped in and bought the Pro Melt. The Pro Melt seems to have a good reputation and following. The question brought up earlier about how RCBS will cheapen the new model concerned me. I decided to go with original version of the Pro Melt as I wanted a sturdy, well built pot that hopefully will be the last I have to buy. Sounds like I can add a PID if I choose. I may keep the drip-a-matic as a backup, but I'm looking forward to a better melting pot.

lightman
10-14-2017, 08:14 AM
The original Pro Melt is a good solid pot with very few reported complaints. You probably made a sound decision and will not be sorry. Expect to get years of good service from it. I too would have been concerned about the new pot being cheaper. Very seldom do you get both cheaper and better. I love RCBS and trust them to make a good product but I'm just skeptical when you take a proven product and make it cheaper. It will be interesting to see the reviews once the new model hits the market.

KenT7021
10-14-2017, 05:01 PM
I suspect that the new Pro Melt is made in China and therefore cheaper.My Lyman Mag25 is made in China as well and works fine though.

dikman
10-14-2017, 06:03 PM
You're probably right about where it's made, Ken. As I recall the Lyman was delayed numerous times before release, obviously had issues getting it to work properly (I would guess that the PID didn't like being so close to the heat source!).

Kermit, you can't go wrong with your choice, the "older" model is a proven performer, I fully expect it to outlast my needs. I use mine for casting alloy and kept my Lee for use with pure lead.

keyhole
10-14-2017, 06:32 PM
If the II version is $100 cheaper I would be very concerned it is made in China. I have a Promelt bought new in the 70's and it has given me zero functionality problems. The green paint has finally started to flake off, after 40 years. I guess I can accept that. If the more expensive version, even with manual controller, is made in the U.S.A. I would buy it. just my opinion.....

ShooterAZ
10-14-2017, 06:38 PM
The original Pro melt has a proven track record. I'd be leery of the Chinese knock offs. You will be happy with the original model. I don't need a PID as it holds a very constant temp at my pre-marked settings, verified by two different thermometers.

Leadmelter
10-14-2017, 09:25 PM
ProMelt purchased in the 80's which is still rocking. Recently, added a lyman digital thermometer. Still right on.
Leadmelter
MI

Leadmelter
10-17-2017, 09:22 PM
Promelt II is on sale at Midway in their latest flyer.
Leadmelter
MI

David2011
10-19-2017, 11:47 PM
A friend had one when we met in 1982, already showing signs of heavy use. I got it from him years later and it's still going.

Lloyd Smale
10-24-2017, 06:34 AM
ive used promelts for years and before that a lyman pot. Never had a PID and never remember ever thinking to myself I need better heat control. Ive casted ALOT of bullets in the last 45 years I'm sure the number ends in 6 zeros. but that said every has different prioritys and different toys. What ever trips your trigger. Bottom line is other then maybe a magma pot your going to have to look hard to find a pot better then the old rcbs pro melt.

10gaOkie
11-18-2017, 10:47 AM
I have the older model Pro Melt. I just love it. Guess I have had it for fifteen years or so. Best money I ever spent on reloading equipment. Worth every penney. If I had to replace it for some reason, I would want another one just like it. I cant see how the newer model would be an improvement. But again, I have never seen one. /Chris

D Crockett
11-18-2017, 12:13 PM
I have a Pro Melt going on 20 years now I have casted everything from fish sinkers , Dive wit. and of course bullets only had a drip problem once when a piece of wire got into the spout don't ask , me how I still don't know other than that the old stile is one of the best only thing better is a Magma pot which I have D Crockett

murf205
11-19-2017, 02:09 PM
Called RCBS about a week ago for parts to a Lubamatic press and asked them about the release date. They said there were problems that had to be corrected before it is released. They didn't expect it to hit the market till about Black Friday.

That 2nd sentence would be the tip-off for me. "Newer model" are 2 scary words when you consider how well the "Older model" works. Mine has worked like a fine watch ever since I bought it used 5 yrs ago. I wonder if these "problems" are being corrected by someone in China?

Stilly
11-21-2017, 06:30 AM
I'm preparing to upgrade my casting equipment by purchasing an RCBS Pro Melt melting pot. The new Pro Melt II has digital temperature control, but no one has any in stock. No idea when they'll be in stock. Mid South Shooters Supply has the original Pro Melt in stock but it's $100 higher priced than the new model. Wondering whether I should wait for the new digital model, or suck it up and buy the original model. Currently I'm using a Lee drip-a-matic. It works, but is annoying. Opinions please on which model to purchase. Thank you!

I have heard absolutely NOTHING but positive things about the pro melt. Heck, I even bought one used and am just now going to get around to setting it up. I have not turned it on yet but it looks nice. I would say to look around for an original pro melt and find it on sale. PLUS RCBS has that GET GREEN rebate now where if you buy an item under $500 you get a $100 rebate on it. I just bought a pro chucker 5 for $400 on Amazon. All done and said should be $329 (they charged tax). But gotta love them GET GREEN rebates. there are other values too. As for the Lee dripping, I no longer have that issue. I rounded off the edge slightly with emery paper and made the plug nice and smooth, then when something fouls the hole and makes it start to drip, I do what Lee told me and I will push down on the plug and twist back and forth to sort of grind out what is caught in there. But lately, I have had 0 issues with dripping. It works. I heard better things about the RCBS pro melt, but the Lee is an excellent beginner's pot. Also, I recall someone made one into a lead ingot warmer, so when their Pro Melt pot got low, they open the spout and pour in the lead from the Lee. Not a bad way to run things in my book. I say grind out the Lee and live with it for another month while you hunt down a good price on a pro melt. And remember, I THINK there might be $100 rebate in it, check on the GET GREEN rebate to be sure though.

TehHappyGunner
01-11-2018, 07:35 PM
Searched, but seems nothing newer came up, so here goes.

Looks like the original PRO MELT is discontinued and I'm not finding any in stock through the usual distributors. Called RCBS just now and they said the PRO MELT 2 is expected to be in distributors' inventories in about a month.

Given RCBS' outstanding reputation across the web, I'm willing to be their guinea pig on the new PRO MELT, but there still isn't one for me to even buy. Lyman 25 reviews are leaving a bad taste in my mouth. Not sure I'm down with a Lee pot, but if I did, a PID would seem to make the price much less cheap. A Magma seems to be out of my budget.

Is there some other option I'm not considering?

silhouette_shooter
02-02-2018, 05:08 PM
Get the old model, the potentiometer is going to last a heck of a lot longer than the semi-conductor(s) in the new model.

Baja_Traveler
02-02-2018, 05:42 PM
If the old one is being discontinued, I'd better get on the horn and order up all the parts to re-build mine. Even though it is still working fine, it is over 40 years old and really showing its age. All the steel spigot parts topside are completely rusted from years in a humid garage and the paint has been peeling off for decades. I'd like to completely strip it, find some correct green hammer paint and put it back together for another lifetime of casting. Even the RCBS decal on the front has shrunk and distorted from the thousands of hours of heat...

azrednek
02-02-2018, 05:53 PM
I was wondering that too - the newer one is $100 cheaper than the old one??

The old one is a pretty solid unit.

I can't speak of the newer model. I have the older model bought used about 88 or 89. It's still working as well as it did years ago. The only problem was my fault. Got molten lead on the cord and repaired it with tape. Months later in the middle of a casting session cord shorted out tripping a circuit breaker. Took it to a small appliance repair facility, got a new cord and its worked just fine since.