PDA

View Full Version : Lee C press repair

AlexAkai
10-08-2017, 03:31 PM
The rear foot of my Lee press broke off due to too much flex in my reloading bench. Not wanting to return it or throw it away, I improvised a repair by drilling a 1/4 hole through the base and added a 1/4 threaded rod through the hole. Then used to eye bolts to bolt it to the bench and secured them with washers. It works and feels stronger than before, the biggest complaint I have seen against this press is the rear foot breaking off, not Lee's fault, just dumb customers like myself.

AlexAkai

pworley1
10-08-2017, 03:34 PM
No need to get rid of a good press.

abunaitoo
10-08-2017, 04:16 PM
Won't Lee replace it for you????
I remember they had a lifetime replacement warranty before.

country gent
10-08-2017, 05:18 PM
If you put a small block of wood under the outside of the threaded rod ( same height as the press base) then tighten it up it will be much more solid. a 1" piece of dowel rod cut to the right length will support the outside end and allow for more down force on the press.

Eddie17
10-08-2017, 05:40 PM
You may be able to just reguest the base from Lee in an email. Not familiar with the press so not sure if, as a consumer you are able to disamble.
I do know Titanreloading has Pro 1000 bases advaible very cheap, maybe the same for your press.

Mike Kerr
10-08-2017, 05:40 PM
Pretty Durn clever repair.

If you go back about 20 years in the late 90's those C frame Lee Reloader presses were less than $20 (about 16-18 bucks on specials). Sometimes you could get a special with a Richard Lee reloading book as part of the deal. They have always been handy for extra steps in the loading process or for light duties where not a lot of pressure on the press was required. I love em because they have such open shell holder access with a wobbly ram upstroke for good measure. They were really a good buy for the dollars and a handy tool even if their weakness of a pot metal base led to experiences like yours. They have never been a primary or main press as you discovered BUT your repair gives a reasonably cheap fix to their weakness.

Now that the durn things run double their old price plus shipping it is good to see a repair that appears strong and cheap to keep the press working. Kudos to you because I think you can breathe life back into a useful tool for low cost.

Mike Kerr
10-08-2017, 05:45 PM
"Won't Lee replace it for you????
I remember they had a lifetime replacement warranty before."

When was that?? Lee's warranty time was never more than 2 years even as long ago as the mid 80's. IIRC

Mike Kerr
10-08-2017, 05:50 PM
Eddie 17 wrote:

I do know Titanreloading has Pro 1000 bases advaible very cheap, maybe the same for your press.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Titan is great as a source and for customer service but the Pro 1000 base may be the only one they have available.

TNsailorman
10-08-2017, 05:59 PM
The original Lee Company did offer a life time limited warranty subject to an abuse clause ; at least that is my memory. They replaced a couple of depriming rods for the Lee Loaders of the early 60's for me when I broke the decapping pins out of them on military brass crimped in primers. But the new Lee only offers a 2 year warranty and you had better keep your sales receipt. At the price they sale most of their equipment they could not afford to offer a life time warranty and still stay in business. Lifetime and unlimited warranties are very expensive for a company, I know, I worked in a position in a manufacturing company that had an unlimited warranty on their products and I could see the figures on the financial records.

Johnny_Cyclone
10-08-2017, 06:03 PM
https://www.titanreloading.com/lee-precision-reloading-equipment/lee-service-parts/single-station-press-parts/lee-cf2086-c-press-casting
https://www.titanreloading.com/image/cache/data/D2g/2086-250x250.jpg
Product Code: CF2086
Availability: In Stock

I'm not sure if it'll be the newer Breech Lock frame or the older Thread in frame. Looks like thread in, but.. could be a file pic and not the actual item.

Mike Kerr
10-08-2017, 06:37 PM
I stand corrected for my information in Post 8. Johnny Cyclone posted some correct information regarding a new base for the press.

bruce drake
10-08-2017, 08:39 PM
Before you commit to anothe C-Press purchase, perhaps a strengthening of your bench might be called for.

Eddie17
10-08-2017, 09:21 PM
Thank you! Check with Lee to see your maybe your best option!

mdi
10-09-2017, 12:21 PM
Aww heck. It's working fine. He don't need to pay no attention to all the "hints"... :mrgreen:

Char-Gar
10-09-2017, 12:53 PM
The mounting foot breaking off is not Lee's fault? I have been reloading for 58 years, have owned a dozen or more presses and have never had such a part break. But then, I don't use Lee presses. If this is not a design or manufacturing defect, I don't know what is.

Good on you, for jury rigging a broken press back to functionality again. Next time buy an RCBS. If one of their products breaks for any reason they will replace it, not matter who owns the tool, when it was made or why it broke.

Drew P
10-10-2017, 02:20 AM
The mounting foot breaking off is not Lee's fault? I have been reloading for 58 years, have owned a dozen or more presses and have never had such a part break. But then, I don't use Lee presses. If this is not a design or manufacturing defect, I don't know what is.

Good on you, for jury rigging a broken press back to functionality again. Next time buy an RCBS. If one of their products breaks for any reason they will replace it, not matter who owns the tool, when it was made or why it broke.maybe you should try it before knocking it ;). These are much lighter duty presses, and much less expensive. They might not be up to the tasks that heavier, more expensive presses are, but they are just the ticket for some work. Sounds like he knew it’s limitstions and knowingly exceeded them, thus the acceptance of blame.

I like mine for decapping, and I’m thinking about trying it with a priming tool sometime.

AlexAkai
10-10-2017, 07:47 AM
Pretty Durn clever repair.

If you go back about 20 years in the late 90's those C frame Lee Reloader presses were less than $20 (about 16-18 bucks on specials). Sometimes you could get a special with a Richard Lee reloading book as part of the deal. They have always been handy for extra steps in the loading process or for light duties where not a lot of pressure on the press was required. I love em because they have such open shell holder access with a wobbly ram upstroke for good measure. They were really a good buy for the dollars and a handy tool even if their weakness of a pot metal base led to experiences like yours. They have never been a primary or main press as you discovered BUT your repair gives a reasonably cheap fix to their weakness.

Now that the durn things run double their old price plus shipping it is good to see a repair that appears strong and cheap to keep the press working. Kudos to you because I think you can breathe life back into a useful tool for low cost.

I actually bought this at the end of the 90's, the kit with a die set for 7.62x54R was about $75, the same I paid for a Mosin

Char-Gar
10-10-2017, 02:05 PM
maybe you should try it before knocking it ;). These are much lighter duty presses, and much less expensive. They might not be up to the tasks that heavier, more expensive presses are, but they are just the ticket for some work. Sounds like he knew it’s limitstions and knowingly exceeded them, thus the acceptance of blame.

I like mine for decapping, and I’m thinking about trying it with a priming tool sometime.

No need for a light bench press. I decap and prime with hand tools, most often a Lyman 310. They are fast and durable made from real steel. Other reloading processes are done with heavy and reliable bench presses.

The press in question is not sold as a depriming and priming press, it is sold as a reloading press. If it won't do that long term without breaking then it is either a defective design or defective manufacture, both of which is Lee fault.

I don't think it is knocking anything to point out that Lee does not stand behind what it sells and RCBS does. That is just pure fact. If that offends your Lee sensibilities that is your issue, not mine.

Char-Gar
10-10-2017, 02:13 PM
I actually bought this at the end of the 90's, the kit with a die set for 7.62x54R was about $75, the same I paid for a Mosin

In 2010, I paid $20.00 for a1950's Pacific Super C. It will prime, deprime, FL size and seat even 375 Holland and Holland ammo and will never break off a mounting foot.

Drew P
10-12-2017, 12:26 AM
No need for a light bench press. I decap and prime with hand tools, most often a Lyman 310. They are fast and durable made from real steel. Other reloading processes are done with heavy and reliable bench presses.

The press in question is not sold as a depriming and priming press, it is sold as a reloading press. If it won't do that long term without breaking then it is either a defective design or defective manufacture, both of which is Lee fault.

I don't think it is knocking anything to point out that Lee does not stand behind what it sells and RCBS does. That is just pure fact. If that offends your Lee sensibilities that is your issue, not mine.
It’s not my issue, you just don’t get it, yet. But, maybe there is still time for you ;)

bstone5
10-12-2017, 01:43 AM
Have got a few broken aluminum Lee press for nothing. Usually clean up the area of the break and TIG weld the parts back together. Have repaired electrical motors with an aluminum body by TIG welding the broken foot back to the motor frame. One Sunday, a little after noon
, a guy in a one ton truck rang my door bell, he had a 100 HP motor on the truck and ask if I could weld on a broken motor foot.
Told him to back his truck up the driveway. Welder the motor foot back to the motor frame. He gave me $200.00 for the half hour work. The motor went on a cooling tower on to of a 8 story building. Never found out how he got my address on a Sunday at noon time.

Drew P
10-12-2017, 12:57 PM
Have got a few broken aluminum Lee press for nothing. Usually clean up the area of the break and TIG weld the parts back together. Have repaired electrical motors with an aluminum body by TIG welding the broken foot back to the motor frame. One Sunday, a little after noon
, a guy in a one ton truck rang my door bell, he had a 100 HP motor on the truck and ask if I could weld on a broken motor foot.
Told him to back his truck up the driveway. Welder the motor foot back to the motor frame. He gave me $200.00 for the half hour work. The motor went on a cooling tower on to of a 8 story building. Never found out how he got my address on a Sunday at noon time.
As a lifelong tig welder I can relate. Recently a fellow contacted me about making a device to cut almond roca that his relative makes for the "medical" industry here. So, this was special roca lol.
I'll neither confirm or deny how I was reimbursed for this Sunday work ;)

AlexAkai
10-12-2017, 08:35 PM
In 2010, I paid $20.00 for a1950's Pacific Super C. It will prime, deprime, FL size and seat even 375 Holland and Holland ammo and will never break off a mounting foot.

Yeah I bought a CH 201 Universal for $30 recently for the same reason

jimkim
10-13-2017, 02:06 AM
Been wanting one of these to play with. I want to box the frame, add a thicker base, and relocate the linkages to the top of the press. I want to build sort of a miniature Redding 700.

Sent from my VS880 using Tapatalk

bruce drake
10-13-2017, 10:49 AM

word does travel in groups when good work is done. I had a Highpower shooter travel from Illinois (6hrs round trip) all the way to Indianapolis because he knew from another forum that I can rebarrel and rechamber Mauser rifles with pretty good success.